Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm flying to LA next week for the summer and will be taking Mikka with me. Apparently in the US you can take them on board as long as they fit under the seat?? I'm not sure if she will, though the bloke at American Airlines said that as long as her carrier is within the dimensions (10H x 11W x 19L) she'll be ok. I don't know if I'll be able to cope her miaowing pitifully for 6 1/2 hours from Boston to LA though.

So the other choice is to check her in, which I'm cool with - she flew from Sydney to Boston so a flight to LA should be ok. But apparently as it's summer, if the temperature is 85 degrees anywhere on the route they won't check her in. So I have to be prepared for her being in the cabin. Has anyone here brought their pet along on an airline flight? What was it like? Did they get stressed on takeoff/landing?

My friend suggested a mild sedative if she's in the cabin (NOT if she's checked in) to make her sleep - I'm thinking I may need the sedative myself!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'd say she's subject to bite you after the trip...Not sure why, but kitties hate traveling, as a rule, anyway. Least wise, I've never had one that liked it.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I would definitely think a sedative (for her at least ) would be helpful, especially if she has been a poor traveller (e.g., in a car) in the past. You want her to be able to sleep, which she won't if she's frightened. Maybe even some anti-anxiety medication would be a good idea?

What would be the logistics of toileting? Tuppy wets herself going in the 5 minute drive to the vet, and while she is a particularly anxious cat, 6 1/2 hours is a long time, plus all the time before and after at the airport and getting to and from, might be 9 hours or more all up. You wouldn't want Mikka having to sit in urine and be all wet and smelly. Plus it would be very smelly for everyone else...
Old 06-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think she should be able to hold it in - I just have to make sure I don't give her water from 3 hours before the flight. She's pretty good with not weeing where she's not supposed to. She's never weed anywhere but her litter box. In any case, I'm not allowed to take her out of her carrier at all. To tell you the truth, I don't even know if she'll fit under the seat in front of me - these economy seats are getting smaller and smaller these days.

I'd really prefer her to be checked in as a. her kennel is a lot bigger; and b. I won't stress myself out listening to her miaowing. But it depends on temperature conditions. And they'd better make sure they look after her!!!!!

What I'll have to do though is buy her a litter tray and some litter when I get to LA - that'll be fun, finding a PETCO in a city I haven't driven in for years....

Old 06-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

That means going without water for 9 1/2 hours Memnoch, I'm not sure that it is a good idea. The air at altitude is very dry and would cause serious dehydration imo, How about after an hour into flight you give her full access to water?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

One piece of advice I can give you... make sure the carrier is obviously a carrier. I've seen flight attendants use their feet to push/kick a wayward piece of luggage back under a seat... and hear a startled yelp from its inhabitant. Make sure you don't get a bulkhead seat.

I'd talk to your vet about a sedative of some sort, too. And possibly something to limit urine production, too.

And one final thought... are you flying direct or with a connection? Looks like flight times are around 6-7 hours direct, so add another 1-2 for a connection.

Okay, one more final thought... she has to be stowed underneat for take-off and landing, but not while you're flying. You could put the carrier in your lap and stick an arm in there to comfort her. That may help the kitty complaints.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

So have any of you transported your pet with you by air? I'd love to hear from you.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Anyone?

Old 06-19-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I flew from California to Nebraska with my cat in the cabin. The vet gave me a sedative for her and the only time she went crazy with the Meows was at takeoff and landing. I had a layover in Dallas and bought her a litter box to see if she needed to go but she was so drunk she couldn't walk very good to use it. I would try it again without the sedative it just broke my heart to see her so out of it. My cats have never been big loud mouths but when they get in the car they start throwing fur and bellyaching for a good 10 minutes then quiet down. I was a nervous wreck the whole trip but it worked out well. She was 12 lbs.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've got friends who've done it a few times, Mario. They recommend that if the cat hates the carrier or long time in it, see the vet for a mild sedative and also , line her crate with someting absorbent (try those puppy pads they make for housetraining a puppy). If she isn't a hyper kitty normally and doesn't mind her crate (get her used to it for a few days if you have the time!) then I'd opt for no sedative too. Makes them kind of groggy, poor things. Still it DOES help when they are likely to hurt themselves clawing at the crate or getting overexcited and frantic! Depends on how she deals with change and strange surroundings, I think. But at least you'd be with her!

No food or water for a few hours before the flight and if you layover for a while, just a few sips of water for her if it's warm.

[ 06-19-2006, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]