Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Hindsight
The Magister

Question Mark Strategy and RPG game suggestions

I just got an email from Strategy First. They have 20% their games right now. I was hoping to get some suggestions, as what games are good. I like Turn-based strategy games and turn-based RPG's.

Here is the link:
http://www.strategyfirst.com/

There are tabs for the different categories. Oh and if you're interested in the 20% off yourselves, the coupon code is: HAPPYHOLIDAYS

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hindsight; 12-03-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Strategy and RPG game suggestions

Well, if you like to have your TB strategy AND your TB RPG all in one game, you can do the HoMM series. It's old but will run on XP.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Hindsight
The Magister

Thanks Elfbane,
I have all the HoMM stuff. I'm actually playing Homm 4 right now. It's pretty ugly, after playing H5 though.

I do not have many of the Strategy First games though. That's why I asked about those specifically.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
I do not have many of the Strategy First games though. That's why I asked about those specifically.
Have you visited www.gog.com ?

They sell some of the Strategy First titles cheaper eg Disciples II Gold (GOG $ 9.99 / SF $ 19.99) and Sacred Gold (GOG $ 9.99 / SF $ 14.99).

Also, GOG has an upcoming Christmas sale (last year it was 30% across the board) to make the price(s) even better - no special codes needed

And I can recommend Sacred Gold if you haven't tried it - very enjoyable 'action' type RPG.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

There's also a D&D brand TBS+RPG called Dragonshard. It's old but runs on my W7 machine fine. There's also a new TBS+RPG out called Elemental: War of Magic; but read the reviews first,,,it had to be heavily patched because the AI was weak and the player could easily roll the game. One reviewer even said the game didn't even attempt to "rush" the player.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 12-04-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

RPG's-
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Majick Obscura
Fallout 1 & 2

Strategy-
Any of the "Age of..." games
and Civilization games.
Except, I think, that Age of Empires was RTS rather than TBS.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Currently playing King's Bounty : Armored Princess. It's a TBS game. Very similar to HoMM. But with a nicer graphic. There's another called King's Bounty : Crossworld.

Could have swear King's Bounty was a New World Computing game instead of a 1C Production game.

Last edited by Kakero; 12-16-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Pick up Civilization IV + expansions and the newer Civilization V. Then lock yourself up for a week.

Dragonshard is also nice, for a strategy game with D&D flavor. Don't forget Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Currently playing King's Bounty : Armored Princess. It's a TBS game. Very similar to HoMM. But with a nicer graphic. There's another called King's Bounty : Crossworld.

Could have swear King's Bounty was a New World Computing game instead of a 1C Production game.
NWC had a game called King's Bounty that was the precursor to the first HOMM. Not sure of how it relates to the current King's Bounty games...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Hindsight
The Magister

I have seen several of the above mentioned games in clearance bins lately, like:

I have Warcraft 3; never got into it too much. I need to give it another go. I have seen Civ 4 in a bin. I have heard about the addiction level of this one. ..but I took the week of Christmas off!

I have seen King's Bounty as well. It looked good, but I was reluctant to pick it up. I'm sure I've seen Dragonshard as well. Is that the sort of RPG one, where you also try and raise an army of town folk etc?

I tried Arcanum, but it drove me nuts. I had all this "stuff", which I had no idea what to do with.

Edit:
Look like I got rid of Warlords 3. I never fully understood the game anyway.

Last edited by Hindsight; 12-18-2010 at 06:42 AM.