Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-11-2001, 06:25 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

This has bugged me ever since I met Torin. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but does anyone else think his accent could be considered just a little bit insulting to people of the Eastern persuasion. I mean the way "l's" are pronounced as "r's". Maybe I'm just being too PC, but jeez it seemed a little blatant to me. (I still like the game, though).

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 07:08 PM   #2
Moni

Yes, I was offended, but I am constantly accused of being too sensitive!
I also caught the fact that Hespheastus is Irish/Scottish (which could be possible but why in the accent) with total Romanian thrown in in the word "tragic"
Dwarf also caught mixtures of different dialects in Erasthmador as well.
I am sure the makers were trying to be politically correct, I mean whould you want Torin saying "Hey thar Bubba! You got sumpin fer me? Woo Doggy! I been lookin fer one these here thangs since I was knee high to a grasshopper!"
; )
Moni
Old 01-11-2001, 07:08 PM   #3
Efreeti_Genie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You can always rip that tongue out .
The guy just creeps me out, I try to encounter him as little as possible. Let's see he has that creepy eye thing going, and he is looking for Burial Grounds (this is the right guy right, I don't pay attention to the names that much). I did have a good laugh though when the dragon gave him a little "sunburn".
Efreeti_Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
Efreeti_Genie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nope, wrong guy. But you know who I mean.
Efreeti_Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 07:32 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

Efreeti_Genie: You're thinking of Jathil. Speaking of eyes, Erzebette's eyes were oddly colored.

Moni: I would think they could do an oriental accent without the classic r&l insult in the inflection. I kinda thought Hephaestus sounded like an elf would, I was think he sounds like David Bowie (though I may be wrong, it's been awhile since I last heard him).

Overall though I enjoy the voice acting in the game.

My favorite voice was Scabban, my least favorite was Harespia, she got to be very aggravating pretty quickly.

Mark
Old 01-11-2001, 08:25 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I think Hephaestus' accent is what would be called "Scouse". He sounds a lot like a young Ringo Starr (Liverpudlian).

I don't think the designers were intentionally trying to be non-PC with Torin's voice. I think they were trying a little too hard to imply "Japanese". Notice that Grunaxe's voice (the father) is far less affected.

Other noticeable accents in the game: Both Bilbump and H'Thark are definitely Cockney, except for the rhyming slang. I kept waiting to hear H'Thark say "Oy! 'Op it, now!" or something like that. Gorthius' inflections were definitely annoying; too swashbucklery and "Robin-Hoodish" for words. Erathsmedor has something of a Welsh lilt to his voice. Interestingly enough, Rethpian's voice was more cultured than his brother Bilbump, for a ratcatcher.

Harespia and the gypsies definitely have a put-on faux "Rumany" accent; again more for effect than anything else, although I agree with Skywalker; it definitely gets old fast.

The most effective voice-over for me was Elyssia. When she intoned "Murderers!" for the first time, it chilled me. (Of course, I was playing late at night and practically in the dark...talk about total immersion...)

Cheers,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 10:09 PM   #7
Moni

Skywalker,
Yes they could have done without the "l"'s & "r" thing...I did not find anything offensive about Grunaxe's voice, very well done without being insulting.
I was just being silly with the Bubba remark, I did not mean any offense.
Forgive me?
: )
Moni
Old 01-12-2001, 02:41 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Moni: No offense taken, of course. Somehow poking fun at the bubba sort is not as offensive as poking fun at a whole race of people (ie Japanese). Though if Torin did speak like a redneck, I think it would just about ruin the whole game. The voice as it is, is like a speed bump that makes you trip a little when you hear him. Of course I forgive you, how could anyone here get mad at you. You're AOK.
Old 01-12-2001, 03:12 PM   #9
Moni

Aw, that was so nice of you to say that to me!
Thank you for your forgiveness!
You are right though...poking fun at a whole race is offensive & Torin's voice took me by suprise too...I could not believe it but accepted it as the makers trying to be realistic in their roles of the characters portrayed.
I grew up around lots of "Bubba's" so to me it is a part of the American culture to have them around, heck, here in Texas, the word "Big 'ol" is probably in local dictionaries!

I'm glad they did not use the Bubba voice on Torin too, lol! I do hope in the future though that someone is reminded to tone it down somewhat, in spite of the fact that there are plenty of people of oriental descent who's English sounds that way.

I had a friend in Hawaii some 20 years ago, an ancient (90+ yr old) Japenese woman that I would walk to the market with every morning. Her influctuation of English words was not the best in spite of having been there for almost 40 years but she was a wonderful conversationalist & I will never forget my joy & anticipation as I waited for her to descend the hill she lived on just so I could enjoy her company, her stories and attempt to pay her back for the gifts she gave to me through them by carrying her packages home for her.
: )
Moni
Old 01-12-2001, 03:13 PM   #10
emilyh
Welcomed New User

At least there is no "Jar Jar Binks" type character in the game.
emilyh is offline   Reply With Quote