Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default US military covers up killing 2 journalists from Reuters

I fell over this link on the site of the national newspaper in Denmark and I was appalled to see what this is about. American soldiers gunning down two Reuters jounalists and afterwards also gunning down the civilian ambulance that comes to pick up the wounded thus wounding two kids and killing several people - ALL of whom turned out to be civilian targets.

When you watch it - IF YOU WATCH IT - STRONG SCENES SO BE WARNED - you will most likely come to the same conclusion as I ( assumption is that you of course see the same things that I see in the video - a telelens that is mistaken for an RPG and cameras mistaken for AK47s - that the pilots did not really do an evil thing as much as they simply misunderstand the situation in the first situation - but opening fire afterwards on the civilian ambulance is just petty murder and should be punished!!!

Afterwards the military states that no wrongdoing has been done - now I am not an imbecile and I know that mistakes happen in wartime - but cover-ups afterwards may not be the way forward.

Again...strong pictures and video of people getting gunned down by a chopper so watch at own resp.

http://www.collateralmurder.com/
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Default Re: US military covers up killing 2 journalists from Reuters

I don't have a firm grasp on the "Rules of Engagement" could someone elaborate on how it supposedly covers the Military for something like this?

I understand the different levels, and how they apply to a combat scenario, but having no direct experiance might kinda scew my view.

I would prefer to stay on the neutral fence with my opinion until I know the full story (Even though the evidence is extremely overwhelming towards bad behaviour)

regardless, an informative, if somewhat unpleasant video.

It's so easy to sit back and ignore the "war", but video's like these really hit home.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

Sickening.
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
WASHINGTON - A senior U.S. military official on Monday confirmed as authentic a gritty war video that shows U.S. forces firing repeatedly on people along a Baghdad street.

The incident on July 12, 2007, happened the same day and in the same area that a Reuters photographer, Namir Noor-Eldeen, and his driver were killed. Two children also were wounded.

The senior military official confirmed that the video posted Monday at Wikileaks.org was of a 2007 incident in the New Baghdad District of eastern Baghdad. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the video and a Pentagon investigation have never been released.

The official said the military could not confirm the identities of the Reuters employees in the film.

The Pentagon would not confirm the video’s authenticity on the record, despite repeated requests from The Associated Press.

“At this time, we are working to verify the source of the video, its veracity, and when or where it was recorded,” a statement from U.S. military headquarters in Iraq said late Monday.

An investigation of the shooting found that the crew of the two Apache helicopters at the scene might have erroneously identified photographer's cameras as weapons, NBC News Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklaszewski reported.

According to U.S. officials, the pilots arrived to find a group of men approaching the area of a battle with what looked to be AK-47s slung over their shoulders and at least one rocket-propelled grenade.

The investigation later concluded that what was thought to be an RPG was really a long-range photography lens; likewise, the camera looked like an AK-47.

Wikileaks said it obtained the video "as well as supporting documents from a number of military whistleblowers."

Video filmed from helicopter
It added that "the video, shot from an Apache helicopter ... clearly shows the unprovoked slaying of a wounded Reuters employee and his rescuers. Two young children involved in the rescue were also seriously wounded."

Reuters said Monday that it could not verify that the video was of its employees dying, even though it looks like one of the men killed had a camera slung over his shoulder.

Still, the video is "graphic evidence of the dangers involved in war journalism and the tragedies that can result," said David Schlesinger, editor-in-chief of Reuters news.

In 2008, Reuters said it had been shown video of the incident shortly after it happened, and that it immediately filed a Freedom of Information Act request to have the video released. That request was never met, Reuters said.

Reuters stated that its photographer and his driver "had gone to the area after hearing of a military raid on a building around dawn that day, and were with a group of men at the time. It is believed two or three of these men may have been carrying weapons, although witnesses said none were assuming a hostile posture.

"The U.S. military said the helicopter attack, in which nine other people were killed, occurred after security forces came under fire," Reuters stated at the time.

According to a July 19 summary of the investigation, obtained by The Associated Press, U.S. troops acted appropriately.

Reuters employees were likely "intermixed among the insurgents" and difficult to distinguish because of their equipment, the document states.

"It is worth noting the fact that insurgent groups often video and photograph friendly activity and insurgent attacks against friendly forces for use in training videos and for use as propaganda to exploit or highlight their capabilities," the document concludes.

'Light 'em all up!'
In an audiotape released with the video, the shooters can be heard asking for permission to engage, and one says "Light 'em all up!"

Some men drop immediately, while at least one can be seen scrambling to get away.

"Ah, yeah, look at those dead bastards. Nice," one shooter says.

The helicopters later destroy a vehicle that arrived on the scene to help a wounded man. When ground forces arrive, the video shows what looks to be a child being carried from the vehicle and U.S. troops saying the child should be sent to a local Iraqi hospital.

"Well, it's their fault bringing their kids into the battle," a cockpit voice can be heard saying.

Rules followed?
Julian Assange, a WikiLeaks spokesman, told msnbc TV that the video "shows the debasement and moral corruption of soldiers as a result of war. It seems like they are playing video games with people's lives."

Brett McGurk, a former National Security Council staff member and now an analyst with the Council on Foreign Relations, countered that the video should be seen in the context that the area was "the hottest of the hot zones" in Iraq.

But retired Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer, now a spokesman for the Center for Advanced Defense Studies, said he felt the video showed "a failure of training" and that the crew did not seem to be following rules of engagement.

"The Good Soldiers," a 2009 book by Washington Post reporter David Finkel, described the incident, saying that Noor-Eldeen and his driver managed to run away after the first rounds were fired but then the gunner tracked Noor-Eldeen into a pile of trash and fired three more bursts, killing him as he tried to stand up in a cloud of dust.

The driver was wounded and was being taken away by a van when the gunner opened fire on it, killing him and two other men, and injuring two children inside, Finkel wrote.
The only insight that I can shed is that van IS NOT marked as an ambulance, nor does it have a half crescent on the roof.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Nothing new and nothing being covered-up. The military doesn't give a ****, after-all the reasoning is it's their fault for being in our war-zone!

Silly people bring their kids around the neighborhood! Didn't they know it was a war-zone? LDO, it just looked like a neighborhood.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 04-06-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: ie cei ie cei
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote