Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Clouds, was that when they were in the cabin or travelling as checked cargo? I don't have an issue with her travelling as checked cargo as she's done it before, all the way from Sydney. The vets definitely don't recommend a sedative if the cat is travelling as checked cargo as she can get flung around her crate that way. But if she's in the cabin, it might be ok.

I would probably prefer her to travel in checked cargo as her crate will be a bit bigger that way, instead of the soft shell carrier that I have for her if she was to go in cabin, which is only 10" x 11" x 19". Problem is, if I check her in and it's too hot (85+ degrees) on the travel date in either Boston or LA, they won't check her in.

I don't think she'll meow all that much - she's a pretty chilled out cat, when she's stressed she just stays perfectly still and meows now and then. She can do the most pitiful sounding meows you've ever heard. She won't claw or struggle or anything like that. It's more me I'm worried about, like Nightwing said I'll be a nervous wreck worrying about her if she's in cabin with me - I'll probably need a sedative myself.

So the pros and cons of each way I can see are:

TRAVELLING IN CABIN:
Pros:
- I can see her for the entire flight
- there is no risk of her getting lost or whatever
- no hassles with trying to find her when I get to LA
- no temperature hassles to worry about

Cons:
- she might not be comfortable in her soft carrier for 8 hours straight (though I can probably take her out in the airport for a while
- can she hold off from peeing for that long?
- there's a chance they might say she's too big, in which case I would have to check her in anyway
- I may stress myself out if she keeps meowing
- she may annoy other passengers with her meowing
- no provision for water in the soft carrier

TRAVELLING AS CHECKED IN CARGO
Pros:
- bigger crate
- she's done it before
- she can pee in her crate if she has to
- I won't stress myself
- there is provision for water in her crate so she can drink

Cons:
- if temp is too high on the day they won't check her in (in which case I'd be @#$% and would miss my flight)
- (low) risk that she might get lost or left behind or whatever (like baggage does)
- if my departure is delayed she may suffer needlessly in heat, etc.

I'm so stressed about making sure I do the best thing for her. She's a part of the family, after all!

[ 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #12
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

That was IN cabin, Mems. My friends out in the southwest and California don't check them in, they usually take them in cabin if possible and not at all if it's not since heat is an issue most of the time.

They do make a carrier just for fitting under the seats on a plane, but danged if I've seen one lately.. they were hard case but low and wide. If she's a mellow critter about new places/people, then I'd go with IN cabin and no sedatives, just no food or water for several hours before hand. She should be ok for a few hours but if you've got a huge layover or something, you'll have to trek about the airport with her. [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS: Most cats don't mind the snug space for a little while- it feels safe to them, so she may be just fine in that soft sided carrier, just try not to kick her accidentally! I'd take her on the flight with me... she's precious cargo and in the summer, if she got left out on the tarmac in that heat.. not good.. delays happen and I'd worry... better she's safe with you, IMO. [img]smile.gif[/img] Be sure you have a harness and leash, though if you intend to take her out of the carrier at all- she may panic and try to run off, you never know!

For the most part, as my vet always said when I traveled with my diabetic cat, years ago, by car, the cat is safe in the carrier, so don't worry!

[ 06-19-2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-21-2006, 08:20 PM   #13
Charean
Hathor

Actually, I have travelled with cats. The only thing I would suggest is take kitty to the vet for sedative. They tend to do better. When we got to our destination (flight from Sicily to USA) they were seranading the airport. They were fine in a couple days.

Cloudy gives good advice. Let us know how your trip goes.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:34 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I took Minky to the vet and got her a mild sedative for tomorrow - the challenge will be getting her to take it. The vet showed me how to get her to swallow it, but I'm guessing he's better at it than me.

I hope they let her on with her carrier - it says its airline approved, but you never know.

Will update everyone on how Jetset Cat went tomorrow!

Old 06-23-2006, 02:35 AM   #15
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Good luck, dude.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Well, I took Minky to the vet and got her a mild sedative for tomorrow - the challenge will be getting her to take it. The vet showed me how to get her to swallow it, but I'm guessing he's better at it than me.

I hope they let her on with her carrier - it says its airline approved, but you never know.

Will update everyone on how Jetset Cat went tomorrow!
Yes, do let us know! She's a beauty, that one...and now a jetsetter..whew, the limelight is all hers! Buy her a nice glitzy collar and matching rhinestone lead, Maz!

Here's hoping all goes well! Oh and if you see this before you pill her.... tip her head back a bit when you put the pill in and try to get the pill back as far as you can, hold her mouth shut for a minute and gently rub under her chin...she should swallow then and she'll lick her nose when she's done that.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm in LA now - touched down a couple of hours ago and am now in my hotel with Jetset Cat. The pill thing was a no-goer - no matter that I did she refused to have it in her mouth, so I gave up finally. She was pretty quiet on the way there and in the plane actually, I was surprised. I think she went to sleep once the plane levelled off.

The only time I did get stressed was when I arrived in LA - I picked up my bags (it's not fun carrying a cat in a shoulderslung carrier, another bag with my laptop on the other shoulder, and dragging two suitcases all at the same time) and had to go catch the bus to the rental car depots here at LAX. That's when I think she really got scared, because of the sound of all the buses and airbrakes and all that, which was very loud as we were at the kerb. Then I had to line up at Hertz for half an hour to get the car, and then take a golf cart to where it was parked. By the time I got her in the car she was very quiet, which concerned me as she's normally a very talkative cat. But when we got to the hotel and I finally let her out she got herself back to normal again and is playing now. She's a brave cat!

Old 06-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #18
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Cool, glad to hear she made it ok.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Very glad to hear you made it ok with her! I'm not surprised she slept, cats sleep alot and she probably needed it after being bundled off through the airport and all!

Hope you found a place to stay for the summer and she gets acclimated quickly! Of course... I wouldn't tell her you plan another trip like that in a few months! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]