Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-18-2002, 06:58 AM   #21
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

[quote]Originally posted by Scholarcs:
Quote:
Yes that is true, we dont have that many guns in NZ, and after two murders within a week, done by the same person, its made national headlines nearly every day this week.
At least they caught the guy and his accomplices. Unfortunately he'll be up for parole in 8yrs while the families of the men he shot in cold blood have to live with it for the rest of their lives.
This is what we need the death penalty for!

For people that think I'm being harsh, this animal commited three robberies in the last week, two of which ended with him killing someone. Neither of the deceased put up any resistance, in fact they were doing as they were told and giving him the money that he asked for. He shot them! A 40yr old father of one from a bank and a 17yr old boy that worked at a pizza outlet.

Sorry for going off topic MagiK but I needed to vent.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:08 AM   #22
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I think it should be like in Norway, where law enforcements are allowed to carry them around, while private people can have them, if they are over 18, but not carry them...
That atleast works out quite well in Norway. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2002, 07:08 AM   #23
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
Have you ever seen the murder rates per 100,000 for the U.S.A versus other countries?
In 1976 for the U.S. it was 9.1, but in England and Wales 1.1.
Also in 1981 62.4 % of mureders in the U.S.A were committed with guns.
It seems the less guns you have, the less murders you get.
[/QUOTE]And if anyone breaks in to my house they will be added to that list
Old 05-18-2002, 08:14 AM   #24
Epona
Zartan

Well it may surprise you Magik but I voted 'No'. I'm not in favour of restrictive laws on guns, even though I live in Europe.

The laws we have here aren't particularly effective, it is still easy enough to get firearms illegally in my part of London if you know the right people. I'd rather it *wasn't* just the criminals tooled-up thank you very much! I would also like to shoot as a sport, which it would be difficult for me to get into now because of the laws - not impossible, but difficult.

Probably a system of licensing (as we had previously) would get my vote.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:23 AM   #25
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
Guns should be banned. Why? because the only people who use them are a few farmers, and criminals.

If you own a gun you must be:
1) a farmer who lives a long way away from everyone, and couldnt do much harm with it.
2) a criminal. Someone who is going to hurt people with it, or threaten people etc.

and dont give me any crap about how you need to defend yourselves, if you shoot someone you have murdered them, be it in self-defence or not.
I would rather die than kill another.
Youd rather die than kill another? Fair enough. What about your family though?
Old 05-18-2002, 09:02 AM   #26
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I think guns are perfectly safe as long as they are treated with a little common sense and respect. As for the defense from criminal side of things, would you want to ,or even be able to fight off an intruder with your bare hands?? If you think you can then run this little experiment. Have one of your friends wrestle with you while you try to get him out of your front door. Not so easy is it? If someone tries to kill you would you rather they off you quick with a gun or stab you 20 or so times till you are dead?
Old 05-18-2002, 02:05 PM   #27
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Quote:
and dont give me any crap about how you need to defend yourselves, if you shoot someone you have murdered them, be it in self-defence or not.
that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard.so you would rather die than defend yourself?how about your family?you mean you would let them die rather than defend them?why?just so you can claim some kind of perverted moral superiority?
Quote:
Unfortunately he'll be up for parole in 8yrs while the families of the men he shot in cold blood have to live with it for the rest of their lives.
eight years?what kind of penalties do they have for murder down there?
Old 05-18-2002, 02:41 PM   #28
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
quote:
that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard.so you would rather die than defend yourself?how about your family?you mean you would let them die rather than defend them?why?just so you can claim some kind of perverted moral superiority?
Quote:
Unfortunately he'll be up for parole in 8yrs while the families of the men he shot in cold blood have to live with it for the rest of their lives.
eight years?what kind of penalties do they have for murder down there?
[/QUOTE]I don't know about down there...but when I lived in San Diego in the early 1990's there were two notable front page news stories...one was about a man who brutally murdered a 4 year old girl.

The other story was about a man who tortured a dog then set fire to it and watched it burn.

The man who tortured (and killed) the dog got more total years in prison than the man who murdered the girl

Well at least before appeals the dog killer got more years...after appeals I lost track since the media didnt comver that.

Old 05-18-2002, 02:57 PM   #29
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:

Sorry Scholarcs, I have to take issue with that. Self defence is NOT murder. It is self defence. There is a whole world of difference. Murder is by definition a pre-meditated killing. In the UK if you killed someone in self defence you would be unlikely to be charged with murder, but the lesser charge of manslaughter. And you'd be likely let off if you could prove it was self defence - most self defence cases get bail while awaiting trial, which would never be granted for a murder suspect.

If it's a choice between kill and be killed, I'd kill thank you very much. No question.
Old 05-18-2002, 04:58 PM   #30
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Youd rather die than kill another? Fair enough. What about your family though?
I dont know about my family. I cannot speak for them.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas