Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-05-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

I'm suprised this topic hasn't surfaced here on IW yet. Stock fraud, insider trading...and she's supposed to represent all that's good and wholesome? I wonder if we can expect to see an article on decorating the inside of your cell in the next Martha Stewart Living?

So what's everyones verdict? Guilty or not?
Old 06-05-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

*Shrugs* Methinks the Feds are being much too hard on her for what seems to be a small part of her daily duties as head of a multi-media empire. I dunno what makes so many people resent her; it seems to me that she did what she did extremely well. Is it just that she is a strong, successful, organized woman? I guess timewill tell. As for the stories about her bitchy behavior, well, she is a perfectionist, and they are notoriously hard to work for.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

She didn't build an empire like she has by being peaches and cream.

I wonder though, why the Feds decided to target her. If she is in fact clean then wouldn't it have made more sense to go after an easier target? And resigning as CEO and chairman? If you're not guilty, why step down?
Old 06-05-2003, 09:37 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
I wonder if we can expect to see an article on decorating the inside of your cell in the next Martha Stewart Living?
Learn how decorate YOUR cell with lovely ribbons, and curtains [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 09:45 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
She didn't build an empire like she has by being peaches and cream.

I wonder though, why the Feds decided to target her. If she is in fact clean then wouldn't it have made more sense to go after an easier target? And resigning as CEO and chairman? If you're not guilty, why step down?
I suspect it was to protect the stock price, for investors would fear she would be distracted and not up to running the corporation.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
Animal
Gold Dragon

I think the underlying message of stepping down would cause more panic than continuing on with her duties. Only time will tell, I guess.

But she could be overlooking an entirely new market here: In the next issue of Martha Stewart Living 10 death row inmates pick their favourite wallpaper.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I don't care about Martha one way or the other. I suspect that she is guilty, though, in which case she deserves everything she gets. Besides, from what I've heard about white-collar prison, it will be more like an extended vacation than punishment. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

With all her vast wealth, though, she certainly made a stupid mistake over such a relatively small monetary amount. I would wonder why, but from what I've seen those who have more are much more likely to squabble over pocket change.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:04 AM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

I suppose there is no question that she did something wrong. But, from what I heard about it, the gain from her sale of stock was $56,000. I think the money that is spent on the case up til now and what will be spent has passed that figure by far.

I think she is being made an example of.

I have a question to all who care to answer. Let's say you own stock in a company and someone you know from that company gives you some info. If you do not sell you lose money and if you do sell you chance an insider trading accusation.

Personally, I would sell.

Mark
Old 06-06-2003, 08:49 AM   #9
MagiK

I think she is probably guilty and should get the same sentence some other people have recently received or purgery and insider trading...and other wrong doings.