Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

I read that the 4th edition rules are an attempt at making the D&D rules more computer multiplayer friendly. And didn't they mention something about it coming with some sort of multiplayer client or something?

That said, Forgotten Realm is totally maunty haul. Some magic re balancing can only do it good.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Rebalancing yes. Total canon-disregarding revolution no.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Very Angry Re: 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrKASperov View Post
It's being raped. I read the new "grand history of the realms" in a store, and it tells us Cyric killed Mystra with the help of Shar.... Taking canon in the behind anyone? Ao would never let that happen based on his actions in the Avatar series... All the good deities did were banish him for 1000 years to some prison plane...

Yeah, and get this-- the people making the 4E changes don't even PLAY in the FR, and don't know all about it... They are going to kill the Forgotten Realms if they move 100 years into the future. And mess with everything else.

They are turning it into the child's version of FR---Eberron (A lame ass game world that'll go the way of Al-Qadim)
I sure hope they reverse these major changes--- 98% of the fans are PISSED OFF and letting WotC know! ALL forums about AD&D and FR are filled with anger over this..

Shows you how detached these suits are at WotC. "Hey! Lets piss off all our long time fans! I'm sure since it's dumbed down, all the kids will buy the books!"... lol. god, everything I like is being ruined....

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

100 year into the future!? Ouch!

Personally I think it could be interesting if handled right. We'd get to see what the important characters did with their life and if they had interesting offspring, and we'd see what happened to major political groups. New opportunities, new dungeons and kingdoms etc. But this would have been better as an alternative setting than a replacement of the old.

How did Dragonlance handle it when they changed age? Did they discontinue the old stuff?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Arwyn the Betrayer
Manshoon

Mad Re: 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

I admit that I have been hugely disappointed by this move, but it does not come as a surprise.
It's rather following a recurring theme where corporations change almost everything about a beloved franchise to get new people into it, thereby alienating the already heavily involved fans. Then, if the changes don't work, they just dump the whole thing.

It's still very annoying and the disregard for decades of existing material is, frankly, enraging.
Arwyn the Betrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Rezzing this thread because I want to know what's going on. What's this Spellplague and why were the gods killed off?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #17
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I've read the 4th edition player's handbook but I haven't read the Forgotten Realms campaign setting so I can't help you there.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #18
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Rezzing this thread because I want to know what's going on. What's this Spellplague and why were the gods killed off?
As far as I've read, and the books are REALLY sparse on the lore subject, there are two different things that caused your two points.

The first, the spellplague, is due to Mystra's death (no she does not return this time) due to Cyric and the subsequent chaos of magic afterwards. Cyric and Shar killed her *somehow*, despite earlier canon like the Times of Trouble series clearly establishing that Ao wanted to quit all this intergodly conspiring stuff, and instead let everything be dependent on the worshippers. Why he suddenly didn't step up here is a riddle to me. I do NOT know who has the magic portfolio now, but I do know Shadow Magic was not affected so it could be Shar.

As for the gods killed off thing: as far as I know no proper explanation has been given. Ao suddenly decided to swap the gods roster I guess. One interesting change however, is the return of Aumanator through Lathander. Kinda puts a new perspective on the BG stuff to do with that god...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #19
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There is a trilogy of Forgotten Realms Paperbacks by Thomas M. Reid entitled "The Empyrean Odyssey Trilogy" that DOES provide some detail on the machinations behind the death of Mystra and Tyr's slaying of Helm as well.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrKASperov View Post
As far as I've read, and the books are REALLY sparse on the lore subject, there are two different things that caused your two points.

The first, the spellplague, is due to Mystra's death (no she does not return this time) due to Cyric and the subsequent chaos of magic afterwards. Cyric and Shar killed her *somehow*, despite earlier canon like the Times of Trouble series clearly establishing that Ao wanted to quit all this intergodly conspiring stuff, and instead let everything be dependent on the worshippers. Why he suddenly didn't step up here is a riddle to me. I do NOT know who has the magic portfolio now, but I do know Shadow Magic was not affected so it could be Shar.

As for the gods killed off thing: as far as I know no proper explanation has been given. Ao suddenly decided to swap the gods roster I guess. One interesting change however, is the return of Aumanator through Lathander. Kinda puts a new perspective on the BG stuff to do with that god...
Is there anywhere to read a summary of this? What all the changes are, what the map looks like today? I'm still stuck in the world that was "before all this" (i.e. FR 3rd Ed version, when Shade came back, Azoun dead, etc).

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote