Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:

Hehehe, will do. And how do I check if my profiteroles have drivers? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
You go to the manufacturers site and see if they have them. But any reputable manufacturer should have XP drivers, its mainly cheap/obsolete junk that dosent.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:44 AM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm running XP home, and I'm not liking it one bit. I've never had so many OS problems, and I ran 98se for the longest time. I've sent so many error reports to Microsoft that they probably think I'm spamming them. I used to have my games freak out after a couple of hours, ram problems, but never in 5 minutes. I locked up one time just trying to turn on the computer. It's not a home installation either, came on the machine.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:54 AM   #13
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

s'all good Binky, I've been running XP on my crappy pIII-550 with 3??mb of ram for a year now and still going strong [img]smile.gif[/img] just make sure you get the proper version of XP and not the half arsed home user version
Old 10-20-2003, 04:52 AM   #14
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:

It's not a home installation either, came on the machine.
With the possible exception of Dell, I've never trusted manufacturers installation - its usually very badly configured with a software bundles that conflicts with themselves combined with outdated drivers.

Better to install it again yourself - from scratch.
Yeah, I know: "That will take hours!"; but so do multiple crashes.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #15
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Win ME wasn't a prob for me since it was properly configured... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Windows XP I installed myself... no problems... squeaky clean! I wonder why a lot of people rant about it... and ME... the only drawback with XP is its security patches... tons of them... but they wouldn't pose any problem if you are DSL or have a fast connection. [img]smile.gif[/img] If I were you, I would get Win XP Pro... but then that's just my personal opinion...

XP over ME is my stand... and as long as you are hands-on with your PC either way will go fine for you anyway Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #16
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Just a quick question guys. I've managed to get a hold of a copy of windows XP. After musing it over, I'm not sure whether to install it. I currently have windows ME and wanted to ask you guys whether its worth installing XP.

I have:

866mhz Pentium Processor III
320mb Ram

So, What should i do?
Upgrade your MHz to a decent amount (say 2.0 GHz or so), and upgrade your ram if you can to 512 mb. You should be fine running XP. You could run XP right now with those. I am running XP with 2.4 GHz, Pentium 4, and 256 mb of ram. It runs great for me, although upgrading my ram wouldn't be a bad idea.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."