Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-09-2003, 01:16 PM   #21
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
What's wrong with pigeon holing people who have already pigeon-holed themselves?
I get what you mean... And you're right though. When they're alone they just walk straight past with their heads down... bastards. I'd beat the crap out of them myself but that'd just be hypocritical wouldnt it [img]tongue.gif[/img] (They started it [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ) And they know in groups you cant hurt them. I've had 10 year olds threaten to beat me up because they know they've got there 20 year old mate behind them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:

if i started a spay the townies campaign, would anyone join? [img]graemlins/2gunfire.gif[/img]

Join!? I'd front it!!! I'd dontate all my money! I really do think that they are a plague and, I've been trying not to use this word, really i have, but it has to be said: Scum....... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #22
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

No one's arguing with you Beau. In our city there's a long running war situation between townies and students. They hate students (guess it's cos they're jealous of more intelligent people). They've beaten up students before and then students have hidden, jumped out and beaten up some townies in return LOL. Yeah you're right it's so frustrating when you know you could beat the crap out of any of them one-on-one or even if it was two of them against you, but when it's 6, you just gotta grin and bear their crap.

Maybe we're being harsh, not all townies go around acting hard and beating people up, but they dress the same and talk and act the same.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:05 PM   #23
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Beat em all up... You want to make an omlette you gotta break a few eggs.... Hmmmmmm.... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 03:31 PM   #24
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

I also had an encounter of the Rudie(Our version of town) kind last night. Slightly inebriated (under age as well...i know im so ashamed [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) I was walking home with my mum and cousin who had hurt his head and a group of about 25 stood across the road shouted "Pr!ck!!" at him, so I told them to something I can't say and "Why dont you come over here and say that". They all shut up.

Basically there all cowards, thats why they hang out in the groups. If you show them a bit of courage and dont back down 9 times out of 10 they will back down.

Sorry I didnt read up the other posts so if I make no sense just ignore me.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:35 PM   #25
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Nah that makes total sense Felix... they are all cowards..

Btw, is putting ! in the middle of a certain word meant to not let the younger ones not understand [img]tongue.gif[/img] You failed boi
Old 06-09-2003, 07:08 PM   #26
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixJaeger:
I also had an encounter of the Rudie(Our version of town) kind last night. Slightly inebriated (under age as well...i know im so ashamed [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) I was walking home with my mum and cousin who had hurt his head and a group of about 25 stood across the road shouted "Pr!ck!!" at him, so I told them to something I can't say and "Why dont you come over here and say that". They all shut up.

Basically there all cowards, thats why they hang out in the groups. If you show them a bit of courage and dont back down 9 times out of 10 they will back down.

Sorry I didnt read up the other posts so if I make no sense just ignore me.
You're lucky then, the hardnuts around here are insane. If they thought it would impress their mates they would fight against you until they were half dead. If you shouted back at them they would have an excuse to start on you, all they're waiting for is an excuse. If you beat them up, they come back and try to win again. If they can't they'll use knives. They are still cowards at heart and won't say a word if they're on their own but if it impresses their mates, they're suddenly very brave.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:31 PM   #27
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
We had a new high school constructed last year, this being the first attending year. I believe social groups are bent around cash brackets; however much you and your parents make, thats where you fit in. Personalities follow. They all dress nice, spend all their time exercising and getting high/drunk, and other pitiful self-absorbed crap. Quite frankly, I would be in that category if I had the snobby, rich kid attitude like everyone else. I guess my family has morals.. go figure [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well done matey, but just cause someone dresses nice and excercises regularly doesnt mean he's devoid of morality. It just means he enjoys being healthy and wearing something other than the same damn t-shirt every day.[/QUOTE]My sincere apologies, Lifetime, but I didn't mean to stereotype. I'm not going to say everyone who strives to be healthy and look nice is lacking morality, but 93% of those living here are.

I'm not the best judge of character, but it's hard for me to put it in words how they are. I generally try to keep the peace and let everyone be happy, while they tend to focus more on themselves and their relationships with other people (good or bad).

Here's my perspective as best as I can put it. Those who choose to party, get drunk, and drive fast (expensive; and loud) cars should show a degree of respect to those who choose differently. I always have, or try to. Being negligent of other people's feelings should be frowned upon, not spread like the plague. What satisfaction does that person get from making someone else feel miserable?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:40 AM   #28
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I have to say, I find this all very foreign. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places, and certainly there are people who do the low trackies and baseball cap thing (though I can't say I've seen the socks tucked in! What a shocking look! ), but they're definitely not in the majority or even a large minority in my city. Most people just wear normal clothes and listen to whatever they want and are friends regardless. At uni there's a wide variety of styles and types of people and you'd be hardpressed to pick out specific groups of people by what they're wearing.

I'm wondering what the situation with school uniforms is in Britain? I know Epona said that this is not just a young people thing but people in their 20s too, but I'm thinking perhaps it starts in high school; that's where most people find their circle of friends, though of course it does expand and morph when you leave and go elsewhere. But in Australia nearly all schools people wear a school uniform, whether they're public or private schools. Which I really think eases a lot of the money/style distinctions that seem to be happening. You don't really know who is well off and who isn't because everyone wears the same thing, even things like shoes don't really give you a clue because most expensive brands don't make black leather school shoes. And while there were definite groups which you could probably categorise it would have been much more difficult for me to have identified what type of music for instance specific groups would have liked at my school.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #29
Kaltia
Jack Burton

We wear school uniforms. Unfortunatly now you have to have *every* detail right, the shorter skirt, the right "in" lipgloss and clear nail varnish, the right amount of make-up (The "barely there" look) and the right perfume and accent. If you can't bring your Versache bag, then you can obssess about lips I guess

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:34 PM   #30
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
We wear school uniforms. Unfortunatly now you have to have *every* detail right, the shorter skirt, the right "in" lipgloss and clear nail varnish, the right amount of make-up (The "barely there" look) and the right perfume and accent. If you can't bring your Versache bag, then you can obssess about lips I guess
Yeah, I figured that would happen. I found the idea of school uniforms good in principle - dressing all school kids the same so that no one is ostracised because their parents cannot afford the right brands is great, but the problem is as you described - people will find something else the worry about fashionwise like make up or accessories.

Aelia, I can understand why the idea sounds foreign to you... in the Netherlands, I think there's a lot less fuss about these things than a decade ago, so I don't really recognise the "groups" that are discussed either. [img]smile.gif[/img] When I entered highschool though, clothing was very important. It wasn't something relatively innocent as wearing slightly fashionable clothes but still with your own identity - no, if you weren't wearing a Levi's 501, Nikes and a certain type of sweater you were screwed, no kidding. When I was 15 or something I dyed a strand of my hair pink, and again I kid you not, the whole school went berserk and gawked at me for weeks. Two years later, fake strands of coloured hair were worn by everybody and his mother. It was unreal!
Right now, people seem much freer in what they wear - of course there may be "groups" among school kids but my younger sister for instance NEVER experienced as strict a fashion code as I did. So looking back now, when I never even give thought to what I wear (or at least don't expect to be laughed at when I go outside ), it seems truly unreal that when I was 12, I spent every school day being told by my "best friend" that I looked like sh*t for not wearing brand clothing. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

[ 06-10-2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]