Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-02-2003, 04:45 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

It seems the White House is even trying to reclassify information that has already been released to the public (sort of like rewriting history I guess). Just so they will not be embarrassed for the 2004 elections, even while at the same time planning to use 9/11 for political mileage with the planning of their convention to coincide with the anniversary.

I guess they hypocrisy truly knows no bounds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Secrets of September 11
The White House is battling to keep a report on the terror attacks secret. Does the 2004 election have anything to do with it?
Old 05-02-2003, 05:47 PM   #2
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Can I assume you were just as indignant when the Clinton administration did the same thing with respect to USS Cole, the Murrah Building, the '93 WTC bombing and Kobar Towers?

[ 05-02-2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Thorfinn ]
Old 05-02-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
Can I assume you were just as indignant when the Clinton administration did the same thing with respect to USS Cole and Kobar Towers?
nice dodge
Old 05-02-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
It seems the White House is even trying to reclassify information that has already been released to the public (sort of like rewriting history I guess). Just so they will not be embarrassed for the 2004 elections, even while at the same time planning to use 9/11 for political mileage with the planning of their convention to coincide with the anniversary.
This is of course a sad change of pace. But as I stated in an earlier thread, the same would still go if the sides were reversed. Politics is not supposed to make sense.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:52 PM   #5
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Actually, I can't come up with too many reasons why any intelligence I paid for should be withheld from me, for any more than some immediate future, anyway. Shoot, we still have lots of WWII stuff classified, and I'm not sure there is a single person on this board who was even alive then, let alone do we have to worry about our embedded agents being exposed...

But, repeating the question, Rokken, were you upset when Clinton did the same thing, or is your indignation reserved for the Bush administration?

[ 05-02-2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Thorfinn ]
Old 05-02-2003, 06:00 PM   #6
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
Can I assume you were just as indignant when the Clinton administration did the same thing with respect to USS Cole, the Murrah Building, the '93 WTC bombing and Kobar Towers?
You forgot to mention several dozen FBI files on opponents that took nearly a year to find in their remote location on Ms. Clintons coffee table...

Old 05-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
MagiK

Thorfinn, you remember the final scenes in the movie "Raiders of the lost Arc"? That was real man....billions of pages of paper stored in unmarked uncatalogued boxes....there shit stuff in there that no one will ever know about and it doesnt have anythign to do with conspiracy theories. It's a matter of even knowing the information exists. Even today only a small portion of the total intelligence documents are archived properly...its getting better but the amount of data coming in is growing exponentially too.

As for stuff being available to you the tax payer..guess what...the constitution doesnt give you the right to know every thing [img]smile.gif[/img] There are things that you do not have a need to know and frankly some people are far far safer if you do not know about it and we are better off for them being safe.

[ 05-02-2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-02-2003, 06:16 PM   #8
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

No, but look at the Constitution again -- it is a list of how the Federal government is supposed to work, and lists the powers of each branch. EVERYTHING ELSE is reserved to the states, or to the people, as guaranteed in the 10th Amendment. Nowhere is the power to declare things TOP SECRET included in the Constitution...
Old 05-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Howabout the magic bullet and the grassy knoll?

This administration is taking further steps to hide info than others have. While they are baby steps it worries me. Cutoff of government information is the first major step towards tyranny. Just because we espouse the word "freedom" all the time does not mean we can't change that word over time to mean "freedom as X or Y sees it." Just because we *say* we champion free speech doesn't mean we can't cajole people into shutting the hell up -- q.v. Madonna and Chixie Dix.

It is an ever-looming possibility, especially when the government is SO MUCH more powerful than its people these days.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:28 PM   #10
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Oh, I hear you, Timber. I am really concerned about the liberties that the gov't has taken with liberties, probably inarguably this one far more than any since FDR.

Heck, when you can lock up Arab-Americans just for interrogation, and lock up someone without access to family or attorney just because he might know how to make a dirty bomb... Isn't that what happened in Nazi Germany? And, of course, FDR's and Warren's (of Warren Court fame) camps for Japanese-Americans...