Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

This is continued from the other thread:
I went with 3 Drow Paladins and a Gnome Rogue. I've been playing BG2 for over a month now but never played to the ToB end. Just got bored I think.

Can I roll my stats instead of the other stupid method?

Can I adjust game setting to make my characters move faster while walking?

I started my Paladins with 2 weapon style; good or bad?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, for paladins, one should get Longsword, one could take Greatsword and the other might be interested in an axe or hammer or flail or mace or any other weapon. The rogue should be using Shortswords, prefferably dualing them.
And no, you can't accelerate the walking speed, ulness you use the Dash feat, which is useless, or the "Increased Movement Rate" items. And you can only assign points(you get 16 at start, plus Race Bonuses), no other ability score assignment method. You can take your own d6 dice, roll for stats, and then use DalekeeperII to modify the characters [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

What's DalekeeperII? Can characters be imported from other games?
I didn't give them weapon skills yet. I think I gave them all 2 weapon style though.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Two-weapon style? You mean Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting? Well, that ain't real good. There are atleast 5-6 very good shields in the game for very high level characters, and about 20 or so good shields based on availability.
The paladin Holy Avenger in this game is also a Longsword, as in IWD1 and BG2. There are a few very good combinations that sword could be used for, most are longswords, some are short. There's also a Greatsword which I find particularly usefull in normal mode, and somewhat uberpowered in HoF. Luckily, that is available much later in the game. The thing is, if everyone is using two weapons, chances are they're gonna be quarreling over them(longswords, small blades, maces, axes, flails, hammers, bastard swords and two staves are onehanded). I always try to give different weapons, damages and sizes to different characters.
DalekeeperII is what Shadowkeeper is to BG2. It's a save game editor. Very good. Especially when you desperatly want a radnom drop weapon (MGOF comes to mind) and you just can't get it. It's use is considered cheating in most cases. If I really want a MGoF, which has about 9% drop chance, and I have 3 GoM, which have about 27% chance of drop, I drop those three for the MGOF, but only in HoF mode. If I really really want one. And no, you can't import characters from other games, but you can recreate them, to an extent. You're only limited by IWD2 equipment, and the equipment you create yourself.
Oh, and you shoul consider dualing scraping one paladin for a monk. Svirfneblin make devastatingly strong monks, ubelievable AC even at starting levels. I once made a Svirfneblin monk with a few usefull feats, and his AC was about 50 without buffs, and that with his Spell Resistance over 60 made him absolutely megauber. 98% creatures don't have an Attack bonus higher than 30, and spellcasters are rarely over level 20.
This is yet another powergaming post from Bozos of Bones. Perhaps he is succumbing to the dark side?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:30 AM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Where can i find the editor? Maybe I can remove the 2 weapon fighting and ambix for something else instead of starting over?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:47 AM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I dunno, maybe Sorcerers?
Try looking for it.
I'd defiently give one Expertise and Power Attack to the other. One will be the tank, preferrably with a two-handed weapon, high constitution, 12 dexterity and Expertise, and the other should be the starndard longsword/shield/small blade Power Attacking pally. Fot the third, well, I'd make him a monkey.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Do keep in mind that you are severely lacking in the magic department. If you don't want to add any more characters, you can go nuts multiclassing those paladins (with generous help from DK2, though). Here's an idea:

(A value of "x" for a class's level means to level them the rest of the game as that class)

NOTE: The party I have outlined below is somwhat slow to level, and also ridiculously powergamey, with no regard whatsoever to realism or roleplaying (sorry BoB [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Proceed with caution, and feel free to "tone down" the suggestions to fit your style. Drow characters can be humans, the 18s can be 16s, the 3s can be 9s, etc.

CHAR 1
Aasimir fighter4/paladin of helmX
STR 18
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 3
WIS 11
CHA 18
Using longswords and a shield, wearing your best (and heaviest) armor available.

CHAR 2
Drow paladin of Ilmater2/cleric of (lathander or Ilmater)X
STR 18
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 6
WIS 18
CHA 8
Using greataxes and the second best armor available.

CHAR 3
Drow paladin of Mystra2/ranger1/rogue2/mageX
STR 12
DEX 20
CON 16
INT 20
WIS 7
CHA 5
Dual wielding short or long blades, uses leather in the begining and mage armor in the mid to late game. Start him as a rogue and assign all thieving stats in roguey stuff.

CHAR 4
Deep Gnome MonkX
STR 14
DEX 20
CON 18
INT 3
WIS 18
CHA 1
Using fists, of course. Acts as spell fodder and roadblock.

The above is a huge spinoff from you party, but more or less goes along the same lines. I turned your thief into a monk, and gave the thieving duty to your mage (dont worry, 2 levels IS enough). Have fun!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks!
I just barely started so it's worth starting over. I don't want uber characters but I don't want to be frustrated either.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Let the buyer beware, the above characters certainly are classified as "uber".
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:06 AM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I stayed with the 3 Paladins and the Rogue. I did change their stats though and feel better about the party. I'll do more of the magic thing next time around.

How did people find the game overall with respect to quests and puzzles? Were they pretty straight forward or were some very tough etc?

Will there be NPC's available?