Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 03:46 AM   #61
Chaladar Silvanus
Welcomed New User

*Out of curiousity, what's Elminster's levels in 3E? He used to be a 22(not sure) mage. *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vedui'

if i'm not mistaken, Elminster, the chosen of mystra, (according to the epic level handbook) is a 30th level character with the following levels: wizard 20/epic wizard 4/archmage 3 (a prestige class from forgotten realms 3rd ed handbook)/rogue 2/barbarian or fighter? 1.

someone in this forum mentioned about drows' and druegar dwarves' relative power in the books, i do agree that these guys are (at most) level 2-3. what makes them so powerful are their innate powers/characteristics and (as people mentioned) the way their stories were told.

with regards to being level 30ish, i do agree that being around this level spoils the fun of defeating enemies...not unless it's a pen & paper RPG where being level 30s doesn't really matter specially if you are dealing with the likes of level 40 monk/duelist who has an average armor class of 70 (that is an understatement actually...we have fought someone with around 100 AC and took a lot of tag team spelling and coup de grace attempts to kill him...). btw, my DM is currently running an epic level spelljammer campaign where my comrades rule lands (& planetary fortresses) & plane shifting is "common". i currently have a multi-class human ranger 1/psychic warrior 2/fighter 8/weapon master 7 specializing in two weapon fighting & melee accuracy (i can hit AC 70 with a roll of 10 & above on d20). my point is...nothing beats kicking asses of opponents with more levels & better resources than you

Vanya sulie
Chaladar Silvanus
Silvaesti Noble
Chaladar Silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:34 AM   #62
dragonslayer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
This is a video game, it's not balanced like it should. The goal of the programmers was to entertain us while playing an heroic saga. Out of all the infinity engine games, the only one that was somewhat balanced was Baldur's Gate I.
i couldn't agree more, excactly what i was thinking, everyting in IWD2 after the 1st or maybe 2nd chapter is way overpowered...and i think it's so great that if you reach lvl 30 you might aswell be a god...unlike other **** games like FF or Diablo...never liked them [img]smile.gif[/img] ...but ooh well, guess noone will bother to respond to my reply neway... ...not that i really made a great post or anything...hmmm...
Old 01-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #63
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by timberwolf:
Where did u guys get all the info on those noval char's stats?
Drizzt seems to be more powerful that those stats stated. Well at least thats what Salvatore lead me to believe [img]smile.gif[/img] But he did went thru a lot of experience from underdark to the surface world.
I disagree, I think they got the stats down to a tea. People tend to forget what the value of each stat represents. Here is a quick summary of what they represent (second edition rules)

1-3: Awful
4-6: Poor
7-9: Below Average
10-12: Average
13-14: Above Average
15-16: Exceptional
17-19: Heroic
20-23: Legendary
24-25: The character is one of the * beings in the multiverse

* Insert required stat

Ok so I copied the table from Planescape: Torment, but I feel its an accurate enough representation.

As for Drizzt's stats (2nd ed rules)

Str: 13

Sounds right to me, Elves aren't the strongest beings in the world, but Drizzt has honed his body to fighting perfection over the years and so slightly above average is what I would put him down as.

Dex: 20

This is where Drizzt Excels, he is one of the most dexterous beings to ever have walked the realms, few have lived who could match his speed and agility, so with a score of 20 this would class his Dexterity as being Legendary, and again I agree with this.

Con: 15

Here his constitution is classed as exceptional, and again I don't dispute this, Drizzt sure has some staying power remember the troll moors for example in streams of silver? Even the burely dwarf Bruenor collapsed of exhaustion before they reached the end, but Drizzt pushed him self onwards even though he hadn't slept in 7 days and with the help of wulfgar they all managed to escape. But even after the ordeal was over when they were all safe he refused to sleep, instead keeping a vigil over his sleeping friends, to make sure no harm come of them. Now thats endurance.

INT: 17

Heroic, well he's certainly not stupid, he was originally intended to became a mage it was only the intervention of his father that led to him being trained as a fighter. Also think back to all the time he spent alone trying to survive in the Underdark, no small task and one that you would need all your brains and wits to survive

WIS:.......Ok I can't be bothered typing any more but you get the picture. I think that crpg's like BG and IWD have led people to believe that an average fighter has to have 18 STR, DEX, and CON.

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:

Drizzt seem strong because novelist cheats in order to make an epic story. Do you remember when Drizzt just got ouf of the underdark and killed Ertu with one blow of his frost scimitar? Well that's impossible. Even if he really did get impaled in the scimitar, following the rules he would get regular damages, or a regular Dm might desctibe that kind of wound on a critical hit. It certainly would NOT kill such a demon...

If I remember correctly, Ertu wasn't slain because of wound from the blade, but because of the abilities of the blade. Icingdeath is a weapon that hates demons and even more so fire, and has the ability to absorb fire. Ertu is a demon whose very blood is fire, when Drizzt struck the Demon the blade sucked him dry, literally.

[ 01-10-2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:17 PM   #64
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
If I remember correctly, Ertu wasn't slain because of wound from the blade, but because of the abilities of the blade. Icingdeath is a weapon that hates demons and even more so fire, and has the ability to absorb fire. Ertu is a demon whose very blood is fire, when Drizzt struck the Demon the blade sucked him dry, literally.
It's just a frost brand, a crappy low level sword that do 3 more damage to fire monsters...
Old 01-11-2003, 01:46 AM   #65
Imrahil
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Malavon's Rage:
what was the main character's (Bhaalspawn) class and stuff?
didn't mean to let this question linger for so long, but I'd forgotten about it, til I saw it again... [img]smile.gif[/img]

um...
.are
.!!!SPOILERS!!!
.necessary
.for
.non
.game
.questions?
.like...
.if
.it's
.in
.a
.book
.related
.to
.the
.game?

I guess not, if anyone read this far [img]smile.gif[/img] , so I'll go right ahead & SPOIL the book. The main character is a Human Fighter (ok, I'm bored already). He & Imoen & Jaheira do all the essential quests required in the game, without the interesting interaction, EXCEPT...

...he hooks up with Bodhi & Imoen hooks up with Phaere (why didn't they implement the bi-Imoen in the game?!? [img]smile.gif[/img] ). Other than those minor plot deviations, it follows the whole Amn-Underdark-BackToAmn-EndGame (with a little JaheiraRomanceActive, but still dull) plot to the letter, without any sidequests, with little character development (other than, "oh, oh, wait... I'm becoming the Slayer!!! - oh, wow, I can become the Slayer!!! arg... *struggles with the implications*").

It's dull, tedious, & I'd guess that few here (given that most people here like to try the game with interesting characters - c.f. Sorcerer threads, Blade threads, Cleric threads, *lack of plain Fighter threads*) would actually identify with the main goon, I mean character.

Again, it's a bit of my life I wish I had back, to do other things, even just play the game myself.

- Imrahil (the book reviewer?)

EDIT: just to put "Imoen hooks up with Phaere.." rather than "she...", so it's clear it's not Jaheira...

[ 01-11-2003, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Imrahil ]
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote