Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 07:45 PM   #21
skywalker
Banned User

People who desire respect, need to earn it.

Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] .

Mark
Old 04-25-2003, 07:56 PM   #22
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Now, if I had posted that about Jaques Chirac, it would be considered flaming. Interesting double standard. I will confine myself to saying that I voted for GWB twice and hope to again.
I hope you meant one vote for govenor and one for president. Voting twice in the same election is a no no.

Thoran, the answer is no. I didn't advocate censuring your objections nor have I done so. I do not own a Dixie Chick cd nor will I buy one for "solidairty". I don't watch them on TV nor go to their concerts.

Att and TL, logically I agree with you and maintain the same position. My emotional response is due the ongoing herd mentality that seeks to punish anybody that disagrees with any lack of total support in regard to this war. On reflection I find that my fears have influenced my response on this issue. Just chalk it up to a Vietnam War protestors "flashback".
Old 04-25-2003, 08:06 PM   #23
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yep, antryg, once for Governor of the Sovereign State of Texas, and once for the Presidency. He has earned my respect, and liking, many times over, not least for his steadfastness amidst the gloom and doom of the media and others, and being proved right by events.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:56 PM   #24
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Yep, antryg, once for Governor of the Sovereign State of Texas, and once for the Presidency. He has earned my respect, and liking, many times over, not least for his steadfastness amidst the gloom and doom of the media and others, and being proved right by events.
I hope you are talking politics and not the Texas Rangers or I'm going to disagree with you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 09:36 PM   #25
Chewbacca
Zartan

I respect the Dixie Chicks and love the bold and open statement they make with the E.W. cover.

I DON'T have to respect the president, his cronies, or his policies and anyone who who says I am Un/Anti-American or a traitor because of that is dead wrong.
Respect is earned in my book and he hasn't earned it for a whole variety of reasons.
I have the constitutional right to petition greivances against my goverment...AKA...the president.... with no stipulation of limitation.

I am ashamed and embarrassed of the divisive militarism and duplicity around the real reasons for rushing to war, not to mention the danger posed to the enviroment, no matter how many Iraqi's end up liberated. Boycott me if you wish. It wont stop me from thinking or make me apoligize. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I certainly will boycott voting for Bush this coming election.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:24 PM   #26
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
I personally liked that they stood by their beliefs and not be swayed by popular opinions (or at least what media thinks is popular). I am not for the war but I do support our troops and any who are suffering from it including the innocent Iraqi people. Your comments are welcomed but lets keep it civilized. Thanks for your input. Peace. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I respect your opinion GForce, even though I disagree with it. However I do not respect Natalie Maines because your opening statement about her "unswaying beliefs" is off the mark.

This entire incident occurred because Natalie Maines WAS swayed by popular opinions. By her own admission, her statement was an impulsive remark made in response to the overwhelming anti-American sentiment the Dixie Chicks were seeing on their European tour. There is NO evidence that Natalie actually held this belief before being caught up in the heat of the moment (so to speak). And she most certainly did NOT "stand by her beliefs". A formal apology and complete reversal of her statement appeared on the Dixie Chicks website within two days of the disapproving reactions from their core fans back home.

Then, she waffled again when those that supported her original statement accused her of "caving in". Frankly, she has been as steady as a see-saw on exactly what her beliefs are in this incident....and whatever version she gives seems to be heavily influenced by the public opinion of the moment.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:03 PM   #27
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

The Dixie Chicks are Stupid country girls that only know one thing and that is singing. The only reason Natalie Maines said what she said was because she wanted the fans overseas to think she was on their side. Her only thought was her groups pocket book and she wanted to sell more tickets on their tour of Europe. and I'm sure that she thought if she made everyone think that like them she didn't like Bush and was against the war.

GET this straight the Dixie Chicks were never Banned in the United States. The Dixie Chicks were Boycotted By their own Fans for sticking their big foot in their mouth and turning their noise up at the leader of our country at a time that war was an eye blink away,and they did it in a forign country. Had they done it here at an American concert it may have been a different story. But to go to another country and bad mouth our leader no matter if he is or is not a total flake is a form of treason to the citizens of the United States.

That would be like Elton John coming to the U.S. and saying Prince Charles is a Fagget Wussy boy and that he is ashamed to have him come from England.
It just should not be done and if it was Elton John would be boycotted in England.

Just remember this: Yes the Dixie Chicks can think,feel or say what ever they want AND at the same time we the people of the United States can pile their CDs up in a giant pile and burn them and not buy any more of their CDs if that is the way we Think,feel or say we want to do its our RIGHT and that is that period.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:17 PM   #28
Chewbacca
Zartan

Dixie chicks cd is #1 again on the country charts and their summer tour is sold out according to CNN, but I have seen Billboard yet.

Perhaps only a minority of fans, and Americans for that matter, are intolerant of other peoples opinions and viewpoints and unforgiving of mis-expressed sentiments. I would hope so...
Old 04-26-2003, 06:39 AM   #29
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Dixie chicks cd is #1 again on the country charts and their summer tour is sold out according to CNN, but I have seen Billboard yet.

Perhaps only a minority of fans, and Americans for that matter, are intolerant of other peoples opinions and viewpoints and unforgiving of mis-expressed sentiments. I would hope so...
Their concerts were sold out long before Natalie's "off the cuff" remark (her words, not mine). The tickets are also non-refundable.

Disagreement (even strong disagreement) is not equivalent with intolerance. Both sides have an equal right to voice their opinions and sentiments.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:45 AM   #30
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
The Dixie Chicks are Stupid country girls that only know one thing and that is singing. The only reason Natalie Maines said what she said was because she wanted the fans overseas to think she was on their side.
The fact that you think in these terms tells me enough. If you're not for us you're against us right? Europe against the USA. These kinds of slips slowly deepen misunderstanding and mistrust. There are many Europeans who supported the war. There are many Americans who were against it. Sure, it was one innocent remark but it is telling nonetheless.

As for the Dixie Chicks, I have to confess I know nothing about them so I can't really say. Sounds to me like they were trying to please everybody with their opinions. As for Elton John calling Prince Charles a wussy, LOL! Most Brits do that. [img]tongue.gif[/img] He wouldn't get boycotted for it at all.