Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
GForce

I personally liked that they stood by their beliefs and not be swayed by popular opinions (or at least what media thinks is popular). I am not for the war but I do support our troops and any who are suffering from it including the innocent Iraqi people. Your comments are welcomed but lets keep it civilized. Thanks for your input. Peace. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I agree, and although i support the war alittle, i still think no one should be banned for their belifes
Old 04-25-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
realbinky
Elminster

I don't really like their music (country in general). And I certainly have no problem with them voicing their opinion, this war hopefully will give the Iraqi's the same freedom. However, if they use their shows as a venue to voice such opinions to a captive audience, I have the right to encourage you to boycott them, and I do. If they were at some rally and did so, it would not be as "bad" to me. Also, they chose a very POOR way to say it "I am ashamed Bush is from Texas," is not the way. Bush, whether you voted for him or not, support him or not, IS YOUR PRESIDENT (to them) and should be RESPECTED, whether or not you agree with him. Saying "I am ashamed that a Texan president would make this decision," is much better. It says you disagree with something the man did, not the fact that he exists. Disagreeing with the government is not only a right but a duty of every citizen.

OFF TOPIC: I also want to say to those citizens of the USA that did NOT vote, but do complain to SHUT YOUR PIE HOLES and vote your opinion next time.

I support Bush and the war effort, and 110% the troops, and I know the Chicks do support the troops as well, but I think the apology they made a couple weeks after their inital comments were manufactured to dissuade the public backlash that was starting and to make sure records kept selling.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
All i can say is: everyone is entitled to his/hers opinion, even Dixie chicks.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:04 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

They are entitled to their opinion, as are those who smashed CD's because of it. They are great musicians. I do not know that they make good politicians.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
realbinky
Elminster

OH, and AFTER they said they were sorry and made a mistake, they come out on the cover of a magazine playing the victims. They chose this path, Bush, the government and/or the public did not come looking for them to vilify them for no reason.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #7
quietman1920

There's no way that they deserve the Death Threats that they've recieved. An opinion is an opinion. Its time to Let It Go, people.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

They are free to voice their opinions. I am free to disagree, not buy their CD's, bad mouth them and encourage the boycott. I think they are self-important twits, and the Entertainment Weekly cover is self-serving exhibitionism. That's all.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:23 PM   #9
GForce

i'm not a country music fan but i do like that one song "wide open spaces". today i will buy one of their Cd to show my support for freedom of speech AND of course the Dixie Chicks for still standing up and not bowing out. I also like the fact that their tour is almost sold out. yeah! Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments which is one of the reasons i posted this. everyone counts IMO whether we agree or disagree. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2003, 03:28 PM   #10
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

In th early '70's "hippies" were arrested because they wore American flags on their clothing. The charge was inappropriate use of the flag (not to be used as decoration or for personal gain). Since they were against the war this was obviously the appropriate thing to do. Of course those who proudly supported Nixon and the war could wear the flag because they were being patriotic. Banks and other businesses proudly advertised using the flag as their selling point.

This present situation seems to me to be exactly the same. If you are for the war you can say and do anything, twisting our freedoms to fit your own viewpoint. ie "They are entitled to express their opinion and I am free to punish them for expressing it in a monetary and emotional fashion." Now, admittedly our government isn't making threats or doing anything to affect this situation. Yet if radio stations won't play their songs (when they would previously) and people who "loved their music" are now on the boycott bandwagon, then how is this different than McCarthyism?

Disagree if you want. I do. It wasn't a well expressed (as to issue) or articulated viewpoint. Many Presidents, Govenors, and government officials have made the same or worse towards other nations (ex. Chirac rebuking the nations who supported Bush and were applying for EUC membership). To threaten their livilhood and life is totally unacceptable and unAmerican in my opinion.