Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2001, 10:00 PM   #21
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

(Message deleted - double post. Sorry!)

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 07-20-2001).]
Old 07-20-2001, 10:18 PM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
If I don't know who you are, I will not read your e-mail. I deleted this right away and will not tolerate this in any way shape or form. We all have security settings and bad things happen to those who do this kind of thing.
Conan, I think you missed the one thing here- the virus uses OUR names on emails so you may think it's from us but it isn't being sent by us! Just don't open any attachments!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-20-2001, 10:21 PM   #23
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
CNN Tech site reports this now.. MUST be bigtime..
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/

Damn!!
Z it is VERY bigtime according to my techs and lucky me, just like that damn I Love You virus , I got to be the first on my block to get it...sigh...listen up everyone! It was on my system less that two hours and really screwed up my registry. So badly I may have lost all my hd in order to fix the problem. DO NOT trust any email w/attachments. That's about all I can say.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-21-2001, 06:18 AM   #24
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Bumping

------------------
"I wish my Angel was here... I fear nothing with her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 07-21-2001, 06:41 AM   #25
Melusine
Dracolisk

D*mn.....that's bad Anyone who caught the stupid thing, I deeply sympathise... Ziroc is right, people who make these things should be....well maybe not hanged but given a good spanking at the least Why do people do these things??

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH,
the HADB and the SPAE(Society for the
Prevention of Acronym Extinction) &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 07-21-2001, 09:09 AM   #26
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Possibly it gives them the feeling of power that they lack in their personal life. They can't affect what happens to them day to day so they look for ways to inflict what power they do have onto others. A cheap thrill for cheap, base personalities. Just my opinion though. I caught the CIH virus on my first machine...I scan every e-mail and update the virus definitions constantly. Nothing like losing everything to make you cautious.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 07-21-2001).]
Old 07-21-2001, 01:24 PM   #27
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You guys want to know what's really scary? This virus sent itself to a whole bunch of people who were NOT in my address book, most of them were from TeamBG for some reason. How can it send itself to people who I don't have in my address book? It must be searching through temporary net files or something. Someone who I don't know sent it to me and I thought she was a forum member either here and had a question so I humored it. I'll be more careful next time.

It basically runs each time you try and run an execute file, no matter what, it runs itself instead, so you can't execute anything. I couldn't get ANYTHING to work, not even Norton Antivirus. I had to boot to a DOS prompt and copy my registry to a .com file and then delete and change some registry entries till I got my computer working again.

So ■■■■■■■ irritating. Sorry guys...

------------------
Old 07-21-2001, 01:26 PM   #28
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
You guys want to know what's really scary? This virus sent itself to a whole bunch of people who were NOT in my address book, most of them were from TeamBG for some reason. How can it send itself to people who I don't have in my address book? It must be searching through temporary net files or something. Someone who I don't know sent it to me and I thought she was a forum member either here and had a question so I humored it. I'll be more careful next time.

It basically runs each time you try and run an execute file, no matter what, it runs itself instead, so you can't execute anything. I couldn't get ANYTHING to work, not even Norton Antivirus. I had to boot to a DOS prompt and copy my registry to a .com file and then delete and change some registry entries till I got my computer working again.

So ■■■■■■■ irritating. Sorry guys...

Poor poor Mario!!! *hug*
Luckily I deleted it, it sounds horrible

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH,
the HADB and the SPAE(Society for the
Prevention of Acronym Extinction) &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 07-21-2001, 01:32 PM   #29
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah Mario, it happened the same to me, ive got some mails of people complaining and i dont even know them !!! im sure its like you say, it searchs in the temporary files or something coz otherwise i dunno what it can be.

that virus was a s*cker one

------------------
"I wish my Angel was here... I fear nothing with her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 07-21-2001, 01:36 PM   #30
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm still getting people complaining about it. I had to post this message at TeamBG as well. I was lucky I still had my laptop, I used it to access Symantec's website and find the instructions to manually remove it.

I actually got two from you today, Ertai! I would go to www.symantec.com and print out the removal instructions in case it infects your PC and you can't run your antivirus software.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 07-21-2001).]