Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-11-2001, 10:44 AM   #11
DiabloRex
Elminster

and then we have Denmark who voted no to the Euro (due to the Edinburg traktat we could vote)
Old 07-11-2001, 10:58 AM   #12
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

i personally (as i'm english) refuse to use the euro until i know how much tea and crumpets are on the euro (also something about it being confusing and such).

------------------
Old 07-11-2001, 11:11 AM   #13
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I'm guessing it isn't going to catch on here in America.

Milamber, must admit I agree with you. But, only because it's called the Euro for the simple fact that is to be used in Europe, not America! Personally I would like to see Britain continue to stay out of the Euro as well. We've always had stronger ties with the Americans than we've had with any of the European countries and being an island nation we've remained fairly independent from the rest of the mainland. Also, when I see the French truckers blocking British ports everytime they have some internal working dispute and the way that the Germans refused to sell British Beef when the European Commission ordered them it was safe to do so it seems that the whole idea of a "European Union" is only adhered to by the big four countries when it is in their best interests whereas our great and benevolent Prime Minister only ever seems to get involved in Europe when he wnats the rest of the continent to walk all over us! The Euro as a currency has done nothing but flounder against both the dollar and pound since it's launch and I disagree with Britains strong sterling being used to prop up a week currency, our chancellor has already propped it up once with a high percentage of Britains gold deposits. In short, as a patriot and someone working in the financial environment I think Britain is better off out of it.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:11 AM   #14
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Quote:

Milamber, must admit I agree with you. But, only because it's called the Euro for the simple fact that is to be used in Europe, not America! Personally I would like to see Britain continue to stay out of the Euro as well. We've always had stronger ties with the Americans than we've had with any of the European countries and being an island nation we've remained fairly independent from the rest of the mainland. Also, when I see the French truckers blocking British ports everytime they have some internal working dispute and the way that the Germans refused to sell British Beef when the European Commission ordered them it was safe to do so it seems that the whole idea of a "European Union" is only adhered to by the big four countries when it is in their best interests whereas our great and benevolent Prime Minister only ever seems to get involved in Europe when he wnats the rest of the continent to walk all over us! The Euro as a currency has done nothing but flounder against both the dollar and pound since it's launch and I disagree with Britains strong sterling being used to prop up a week currency, our chancellor has already propped it up once with a high percentage of Britains gold deposits. In short, as a patriot and someone working in the financial environment I think Britain is better off out of it.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:12 AM   #15
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Quote:

Milamber, must admit I agree with you. But, only because it's called the Euro for the simple fact that is to be used in Europe, not America! Personally I would like to see Britain continue to stay out of the Euro as well. We've always had stronger ties with the Americans than we've had with any of the European countries and being an island nation we've remained fairly independent from the rest of the mainland. Also, when I see the French truckers blocking British ports everytime they have some internal working dispute and the way that the Germans refused to sell British Beef when the European Commission ordered them it was safe to do so it seems that the whole idea of a "European Union" is only adhered to by the big four countries when it is in their best interests whereas our great and benevolent Prime Minister only ever seems to get involved in Europe when he wants the rest of the continent to walk all over us! The Euro as a currency has done nothing but flounder against both the dollar and pound since it's launch and I disagree with Britains strong sterling being used to prop up a week currency, our chancellor has already propped it up once with a high percentage of Britains gold deposits. In short, as a patriot and someone working in the financial environment I think Britain is better off out of it.

[This message has been edited by Kinslayer (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old 07-11-2001, 11:31 AM   #16
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DiabloRex:
and then we have Denmark who voted no to the Euro (due to the Edinburg traktat we could vote)
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the 'No' vote in Denmark fueled by immigration fears? The Danish People's Party put on a campaign stating that a vote of yes would lead to a huge inflow of immigrants and that this would destroy Danish heritage.

The fact that about 80% of the Danish Parliment, 95% of the countries newspapers, and most of the trade unions and employer orginizations supported a vote to join the Euro, shows that in reality a 'Yes' vote was favored by those that 'knew' what the actual consequences would be.

This was not a vote on facts, it was a vote on fears. 1/3 of the 'No' votes were cast because of "a concern about Danish identity" another 1/3 were cast because of "a lack of trust and confidence in the European Union" and the other 1/3 were cast because "a fear of further integration with the rest of Europe".

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Old 07-11-2001, 11:38 AM   #17
DiabloRex
Elminster

I dont know what why it was a no overall, what I can tell you is why I voted No, and it certainly wasnt of fear of the danish heritage (someone shoot that partie) I voted No, because I do not believe in the Euro, with the economic difference and with Polen and some other eastern europe countries to join. (I do know about the minimum requirements to be a part of the Euro)

Since the countries still have different ways of dealing with economic situations I dont think that the Euro is a good idea. Maybe in 50 years, who knows
Old 07-11-2001, 11:45 AM   #18
Sir_Tainly

As I've said before in Britain because of the channel, we are a separated market so we wont do well out of the Euro, prices here won't come in line with the rest of Europe. This is because IMHO companies can use the fact that shipping to the UK justifies higher postage/handling to charge higher rates in the UK. E.g. if an item costs 10 Euros in Germany, and 3 to ship to the UK, it will be cost 15 off the shop shelves here as there is the delay of shipping it and so people will have to pay the extra 2 for the convenience of immediate purchase. However this means that they will have paid 5 extra in total, and since air fares and using the Channel Tunnel are so extortionate in Britain we are left with few options To emphasise this Euro Tunnel tickets are cheaper in Fance than in the UK for the same journey - I can ring up the Gare du Nord in Paris and order my tickets TO France (in English) cheaper than I can buy them at Waterloo Station!!!

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 07-11-2001, 12:03 PM   #19
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
As I've said before in Britain because of the channel, we are a separated market so we wont do well out of the Euro, prices here won't come in line with the rest of Europe. This is because IMHO companies can use the fact that shipping to the UK justifies higher postage/handling to charge higher rates in the UK. E.g. if an item costs 10 Euros in Germany, and 3 to ship to the UK, it will be cost 15 off the shop shelves here as there is the delay of shipping it and so people will have to pay the extra 2 for the convenience of immediate purchase. However this means that they will have paid 5 extra in total, and since air fares and using the Channel Tunnel are so extortionate in Britain we are left with few options To emphasise this Euro Tunnel tickets are cheaper in Fance than in the UK for the same journey - I can ring up the Gare du Nord in Paris and order my tickets TO France (in English) cheaper than I can buy them at Waterloo Station!!!

But that's one of the beauties of being British everyone in the world treats us like a bunch of mugs. That's why we're dealing with all the Eastern European immigrants at the tax payers expense and everyone else in Europe kicks them straight out of their borders. I believe strongly in humanitarian aid but I'm sick of England being the flogging horse for the rest of Europe. Don't even tell the American guy's on this forum what we pay for petrol(gas) over here, I'd die of embarrassment!
Old 07-11-2001, 02:12 PM   #20
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Very instructive post, Moridin, you presented it in very much better structured way than I did.

Milamber, what do you mean by "the Euro won't catch on in the USA" ?

The title of the thread was "How popular will the Euro be". I was just speculating that it will not be that popular in America, thats all.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB