Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Finally! Gay people can die alongside straight people.

The gay community must be rejoicing. They may soon be legally allowed to DIE for a country that is still on the fence about accepting them to begin with.

/Golfclap

Quote:
Pentagon study: Gays could serve with no harm
By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Anne Flaherty, Associated Press – Tue Nov 30, 6:22 am ET

WASHINGTON – The Pentagon study that argues that gay troops could serve openly without hurting the military's ability to fight is expected to re-ignite debate this month on Capitol Hill over repealing the 17-year-old "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Officials familiar with the 10-month study's results have said a clear majority of respondents don't care if gays serve openly, with 70 percent predicting that lifting the ban would have positive, mixed or no results. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the findings hadn't been released.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, who have both said they support repealing the law, were scheduled to discuss the findings with Congress Tuesday morning and with reporters Tuesday afternoon.

Republicans, led by Sen. John McCain of Arizona, have mostly opposed repealing the law because they say efforts to do so are politically driven and dangerous at a time of two wars.

"This was a political promise made by an inexperienced president or candidate for presidency of the United States," McCain told CNN's "State of the Union" last weekend.

"The military is at its highest point in recruitment and retention and professionalism and capability, so to somehow allege that this policy has been damaging the military is simply false," McCain said.

Democrats and gay rights groups counter that the study finally proves what they've known anecdotally for years: Most troops would accept an openly gay person in their units.

"It's what we expected. The atmosphere in the active-duty has changed," said a gay Air Force officer and co-founder of the advocacy group OutServe. The officer uses the pseudonym "JD Smith" to protect his identity.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Finally! Gay people can die alongside straight people.

I agree wholeheartedly. No more "studies", no more "hearings". The President (any President) could have fixed this years,,,Hell, decades ago. Just sign an Executive Order. That's what Truman did when it was time to integrate the military... no studies or hearings, just order it done.

P.S. Upon further research, the above is wrong. I thought "don't ask, don't tell" was a policy; it is indeed a law. Therefore the President can't fix it via Executive Order.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 11-30-2010 at 08:52 PM.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. No more "studies", no more "hearings". The President (any President) could have fixed this years,,,Hell, decades ago. Just sign an Executive Order. That's what Truman did when it was time to integrate the military... no studies or hearings, just order it done.
Coming from a sailor where the ship departs with 800 sailors on board and returns with 400 couples, is very different than sharing a two "man" foxhole!

Where are all of you bible thumper's at now?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Falling on Floor Laughing Re: Finally! Gay people can die alongside straight people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Coming from a sailor where the ship departs with 800 sailors on board and returns with 400 couples, is very different than sharing a two "man" foxhole!
But Felix, you might just have a gay ole' time aboard the USS Rainbow !!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Finally! Gay people can die alongside straight people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
But Felix, you might just have a gay ole' time aboard the USS Rainbow !!
And then, there was glitter.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Surface to ass missile sequence initiated.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Jon Stewart did a great bit on this, and McCain was made to look both contradictory and the fool.

My take on gays in the military is actually a bit conservative. I believe, quite frankly, that it is wrong to force me to get naked and shower in front of someone who may want to have sex with me. Be it guy or girl. So, until the military develops individual showers for all or simply makes the showers unisex like in Starship Troopers, I'm again'it.

On to my next argument: Why Unisex Showers Are The Shiznit
Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

The Senate has spoken!

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...l-repeal-fails

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The Senate Republi-Assholes (tired of mincing words here) have made it quite clear that NOTHING will happen in Congress until the richest 2% get their 4% tax cut. The fat and happy buffing each others' bums, of course.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Nope, it actually succeeded. Gay men and women will indeed be able to serve openly in the future. I love that they actually conducted a survey about how it would affect the military. As if (A) there aren't gay men and women there already and (B) anyone really gives a shit whether the person dragging them from the battlefield because they've been shot several times, is gay or straight.

Quote:
In a historic vote for gay rights, the Senate agreed on Saturday to do away with the military's 17-year ban on openly gay troops and sent President Barack Obama legislation to overturn the Clinton-era policy known as "don't ask, don't tell."

Obama was expected to sign the bill into law next week, although changes to military policy probably wouldn't take effect for at least several months. Under the bill, the president and his top military advisers must first certify that lifting the ban won't hurt troops' ability to fight. After that, the military would undergo a 60-day wait period.
Repeal would mean that, for the first time in American history, gays would be openly accepted by the armed forces and could acknowledge their sexual orientation without fear of being kicked out.

More than 13,500 service members have been dismissed under the 1993 law.

"It is time to close this chapter in our history," Obama said in a statement. "It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed."

The Senate voted 65-31 to pass the bill, with eight Republicans siding with 55 Democrats and two independents in favor of repeal. The House had passed an identical version of the bill, 250-175, earlier this week.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_go_...ys_in_military