Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

No No No What they have been putting in our meat! Hint you might clean a floor with it!

I gave up hamburgers last month for health reasons, now I wish I had done it much sooner. I wish I could puke up every bite of this crap I ever ate (into the face of who-ever approved and profited from this.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html

Quote:
Eight years ago, federal officials were struggling to remove potentially deadly E. coli from hamburgers when an entrepreneurial company from South Dakota came up with a novel idea: injecting beef with ammonia.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: What they have been putting in our meat! Hint you might clean a floor with it!

Good link. I too gave up fast food last year, and gave up anything from Mcdonalds 3 years ago. If I eat a Mcdonalds burger now, I feel sick - no joke. There's a reason they can sell you a burger for $1 and it's got nothing to do with being generous!

When I do eat out, I mainly go to restaurants that cook the food from scratch but even then I avoid "burgers & fries" type meals and go for something a bit healthier.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: What they have been putting in our meat! Hint you might clean a floor with it!

Another benefit of watching your beef grow and taking it to the slaughter house where you have a personal relationship with the family owned business. Eating out is for folks who don't know how to cook, who travel, or are just plain fat and lazy.

Looks like big business strikes again.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

This was featured in Food, Inc. which I highly recommend.

The company that currently leads the market for this process says it is currently in 80% of the hamburger and hopefully 100% in a few years.

It's a ridiculous system really. It begins by subsidizing corn to the point that it's cheaper than grass. Then you put the animals on the 100's of acre CAFO operation. Well then you have to shovel in the corn and shovel out the shit. Plus corn in the cow's diet drives up the E. coli count, especially for the deadliest E. coli strains.

When all these problems culminate in polluted water and poisened 7 yr olds dying to hamburgers, rather than question the whole stupid system from start to finish, these scientific dunderheads instead come up with a technology based solution -- Inject all the meat with Ammonia, and then give it a good HCl bath!! Mmmm, tasty.

If your beef is not grass fed and organic, don't trust it from a health standpoint. If you want to go true gold star, then try to find free range foraging beef.

Anyway, for footage of these processing plants, go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZecQoAFmo
and look at 2:30 and forward. They don't really ask Eldon Roth, head of BPI, any questions. They just let him talk and then put in some eerie music.

And, for the counterargument, go to this point in the film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4r8...eature=related at 2:43. The guy from Polyface Farms is really funny. He simply doesn't understand all the hullabaloo about the CAFO trend when his whole operation, food to cow to beef and manure and fertilizer, all happens in his fields.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 01-05-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Another benefit of watching your beef grow and taking it to the slaughter house where you have a personal relationship with the family owned business.
Agreed. Although if growing your own livestock isn't an option (it is not one for me), the second best thing to do is get your meat from a local butcher (as I do). Not only do you support local business and keep money within the community, but you really get some of the best tasting meat and you know where it is coming from/how it is raised.

Venison is also a good route too IMO (and tastier than beef).
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
This was featured in Food, Inc. which I highly recommend.

The company that currently leads the market for this process says it is currently in 80% of the hamburger and hopefully 100% in a few years.

It's a ridiculous system really. It begins by subsidizing corn to the point that it's cheaper than grass. Then you put the animals on the 100's of acre CAFO operation. Well then you have to shovel in the corn and shovel out the shit. Plus corn in the cow's diet drives up the E. coli count, especially for the deadliest E. coli strains.

When all these problems culminate in polluted water and poisened 7 yr olds dying to hamburgers, rather than question the whole stupid system from start to finish, these scientific dunderheads instead come up with a technology based solution -- Inject all the meat with Ammonia, and the give it a good HCl bath!! Mmmm, tasty.

If your beef is not grass fed and organic, don't trust it from a health standpoint. If you want to go true gold star, then try to find free range foraging beef.

Anyway, for footage of these processing plants, go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZecQoAFmo
and look at 2:30 and forward. They don't really ask Eldon Roth, head of BPI, any questions. They just let him talk and then put in some eerie music.

And, for the counterargument, go to this point in the film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4r8...eature=related at 2:43. The guy from Polyface Farms is really funny. He simply doesn't understand all the hullabaloo about the CAFO trend when his whole operation, food to manure, all happens in his fields.
The practices of commercial livestock are absolutely deplorable. I went vegetarian for awhile because I was completely disgusted with how harmful the practice is (from a perspective of energy, human health, and environment). However, I do enjoy eating meat. So my solution, as my post above more or less explained, is to buy local meats. It really is the best way for getting meat. Or do what Felix suggested, and grow it yourself.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Eating out is for folks who don't know how to cook, who travel, or are just plain fat and lazy.
I know how to cook, spend little time at home, am far from overweight, and I'm fit and healthy, not lazy, and yet I eat out all the time.

Did you guys ever think that maybe it sells because, you know, some of us like the taste?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
I know how to cook, spend little time at home, am far from overweight, and I'm fit and healthy, not lazy, and yet I eat out all the time.

Did you guys ever think that maybe it sells because, you know, some of us like the taste?
Well first off, youth and exercise can overcome shortcomings in diet, so let's not forget that.

But yes of course you LOVE how it tastes. Human beings are hard-wired to vastly prefer 3 tastes to any other: salt, sugar, fat. Those 3 tastes were genetically selected for because they are very rare in nature, and something we biologically need.

But in the past 60 years, salty, fatty, sugary foods have become to be 95% of what we eat. Our technology has overcome the biological hurdle of struggling to ingest enough calories. But now the opposite is occurring -- too many calories that all just taste so yummy.

Just be hopeful that when you get to the point in life when you can no longer be so active and young, that you don't still crave those salty, fatty, and sugary foods. Because if you keep up that diet without the benefits of youth and exercise you could well find yourself enjoying Type II Diabetes and other fun gifts that this warped food culture bring us.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Dont mean to derail, very interesting conversation, I just wanted to say hi to Timber. How ya doin?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Doing well, love the sig.