Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2000, 11:12 PM   #1
spludge

Hi what do yous reckon is the best character to play ? im playing a dual class kenai/mage which i think is as good as it gets.

Old 11-13-2000, 01:18 PM   #2
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, kensai/mage is really good. I'm looking forward to trying one next game. I'm playing a paladin (inquisitor)now, and with the Holy Avenger, he's really deadly, and, with the help of magical items, quite resistant to magic. I hear that once you get up to 14 -15th level, monks are really good. I've heard of monks killing Firkraag with 1 blow. I may try a monk next.
Old 11-13-2000, 02:13 PM   #3
PsYgNeT

I use a Paladin-undead hunter with the Holyavenger and the red dragon armor
i can kill Firkagg and shadowdragon without touch him !
you need :12 trap,magic resistance,harm and look !

Old 11-14-2000, 04:11 PM   #4
Overton

The best character is whatever one you want to go through the game with

Sounds Corny, right? But seriously, There are enough magic items and specialized skills that virtually any character can be quite deadly. I beat the game the first time with a swashbuckler, the second with the kensai, and am going through now with an archer. My swashbuckler, dual weilding the equalizer and dragon slayer with a girdle of stone gian strenght and black dragon armor is awsome...-9 armor class and deals out 20-30 (non critical) hits on lots of stuff with each sword! Plus he can pick any lock i have come across that is pickable. And arguably has the best stronghold. On the other hand, my Kensai with the Clestial Fury was a lawnmower...he could take just about any creature on (except that darn Demi Lich) in the game and kill them in 2-3 rounds at the most. Combat machine! On the other hand, my archer NEVER misses. With some arrows of biting and a better bow than his +1 comp bow (i just started with him), i bet he will be awesome. i can also see arguments for Druid, Priest, Paladin, and mage as well.

If you look on this board, you will see hundreds of posts claiming that just about every character class is their favorite. It boils down to how you play. A kensai mage would be a great combo, with good combat abilities coupled with spell casting...but on the flip side you would not be able to memorize the really cool high level spells, nor will you be able to acheive high mastery in whatever weapon you want and 2 points in single weapon fighting and still become a high level spell caster. I personally look forward to the high level benefits you can reap with a single class character. But then again that is my preference.

Old 11-14-2000, 04:53 PM   #5
Suul-Yinn

Good points Overton but a level 9 Kensai who then duals to a mage can get to the highest level mage, just! As he doesn't wear armour anyhow, he is not hobbled by dualing as a mage.Equip him with the Celestial fury, dual wielding Dak'kon's Zerth blade(from Collector's edition) and he is awesome! That will be my next character. The Blade looks fun too, as does the Cavalier.

Old 11-14-2000, 05:19 PM   #6
bpm07

I play this the same way I played BG1, with a bulldozer fighter, normally wielding the lilarcor (I'm only in chapter 3) and have -10 AC. The portrait is almost filled up with icons of resistance |RE:best character?

Old 11-15-2000, 06:38 PM   #7
Wretched

I normally like to play Fighters and Rangers, and often dual- or multi-class my fighters with the mage class, because I like the idea of a warrior who can buff himself up with spells. I even played the Kensai/Mage once, and it is indeed a powerful class. What I didn't like, though, was the inability to wear bracers and such, which badly hampers your AC through most of the game.

However, my favorite character in BGII turned out to be a surprise to me! He's a Lawful Good Human Fighter, dualed to a Cleric (specifically, Priest of Lathander... used Shadow Keeper to add the kit). He dual-wields, and is a Master of flails, specialized in maces and hammers. I consider him my badass Harbinger of Justice, who offers no mercy to perpetrators of evil and chaos. Currently, he is wielding the Flail of Ages and Wyrm's Tooth, the poisoned flail, but he will eventually get his hands on the Mace of Disruption, and hopefully Crom Faeyr one day.

The reason I like the Priestly addition to what is still a combat-heavy character, is that he works well as a point of inspiration for his followers. He wards off fear spells, causes undead to tremble in his presence, heals, protects, restores, and even resurrects his allies. And on top of all that, he's always the first into combat, and almost always the last one still fighting, after the rest of the party has had to back off due to injury.

Old 11-15-2000, 07:04 PM   #8
nimzo
Welcomed New User

Of course it is a matter of personal taste, but I'm partial to my tricked out dwarven fighter.

With Crom Faeyr he has a 25 strength, and put on the ring of Gaxx and a ring of regeneration, along with red dragon scale armor, a +2 cloak, boots of speed, helm of defense, sentinel +4 shield, he is a powerhouse.

I like to let my party members spar amongst themselves to see who is best. I put my 21st level monk against my dwarf and let them duke it out to see who was toughest. My dwarf made the save vs death to avoid the quivering palm and then tore the monk to shreds. However, my swashbuckler/mage beat the crap out of my tough guy dwarf by using a bunch of mirror image and stone skin spells and just recasting them whenever the dwarf was about to punch through. Kind of cheap, but very effective, so I'd have to say that the most powerful character is probably a dualed high level mage of some sort. But I still like the dwarf better because a straight forward frontal assault better suits my style.
Old 11-16-2000, 04:36 AM   #9
OverRide

How can you use +2 cloack and magical (dragon) armor at same time. isin`t that a impossible.

Old 11-16-2000, 05:22 AM   #10
Mabelrode

At least the red dragon armor of Firagg is not considered magical by the game,
although it obviously is. Thats no bug but feature of dragon equipment I guess.