Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-16-2004, 03:52 AM   #11
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes, I suppose. But then, you shouldn't be worrying about overpowered characters on HoF mode, right?

(I know, you were more worried that the remover wasn't working, I'm just kidding)

For a REAL challenge, and one I'm not up for and probably never will be, you could try doing HoF with neophyte characters. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] Dundee has done it, and he's the only person I can think of (off the top of my head) who has been so masochistic.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:

A lvl 33 (or lvl 30) character is overpowered, period. Unless it somehow fails a saving throw, it's practically invulnerable.
True! For the monsters in IWD a level 30 (and higher) character is too powerful. And it's not the patch's fault.
If you want to have a level 30 character whose Thaco is capped at level 20 you might just as well get a level 20 one.
[/QUOTE]I agree that a 30th level is overpowered, but only to the extent that a 20th level character is also overpowered. For game balancing purposes, both 2nd ed. AD&D rules, and IWD have lower limit caps on attacks per round, saving throws, and THAC0.

* Fighters get 0.5 extra attack per round at 7th and 13th level.

* The lowest saving throws for a fighter are achieved at at 17th level.

* The lowest THAC0 for a fighter is achieved at 20th level (THAC0=1)

For almost all practical purposes, a fighter is fully actualized at 20th level. A 30th level fighter will have the same # attacks per round, THAC0 and saves as a 20th level fighter. The only benefit from the extra levels is an additional 3 HP/level. Compare the 15th max level IWD fighter with the 30th max level HOW fighter:

15th Level Fighter (natural scores without bonuses)
# Attacks: 2
Max HP: 108
THAC0: 6
SAVING THROWS
Poison/Paralyze/Death: 4
Rod/Staff/Wand: 6
Petrify/Polymorph: 5
Breath Weapon: 4
Spells: 7

30th Level Fighter (natural scores without bonuses)
# Attacks: 2
Max HP: 153
THAC0: 1
SAVING THROWS
Poison/Paralyze/Death: 3
Rod/Staff/Wand: 5
Petrify/Polymorph: 4
Breath Weapon: 4
Spells: 6

The 30th level fighter is a little better, but not a lot better than the 15th level fighter. Most differences will be from the high-powered armor & weapons found in HOW.

[ 11-16-2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Otto ]
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Yes, I suppose. But then, you shouldn't be worrying about overpowered characters on HoF mode, right?

(I know, you were more worried that the remover wasn't working, I'm just kidding)

For a REAL challenge, and one I'm not up for and probably never will be, you could try doing HoF with neophyte characters. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] Dundee has done it, and he's the only person I can think of (off the top of my head) who has been so masochistic.
Uh, I made that mistake one time myself, but it was long ago, and I am much wiser now. As for the xp cap remover, I think it is working as intended, and the scripters over at teambg, the makers of that remover, do wonderful things with the infinity engine. As for the thac0 scores, they may tend to actually balance the game, in HoF mode. Have you tried the cap remover in standard play mode, to see what effects it would have?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:27 AM   #14
Al Shades
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
For a REAL challenge, and one I'm not up for and probably never will be, you could try doing HoF with neophyte characters.
What are neophyte characters?

Rob, I haven't tried standard mode. I'll update this thread as I learn more.
Al Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:19 AM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

Neophyte meaning new. Starting HoF with level 1 characters.

As I remember, Dundee and a buddy did it multiplayer with two characters, playing one apiece - a MC R/C and MC F/M/T.

Seems too much like work to me. Evidently they would load up on missile weapons and run around shooting a goblin, go back and rest, buy more ammo, and go back and shoot the SAME goblin in order to kill it. Scary.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #16
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

It just take's a little more determination to play HoF with a party of level 1's..

Don't forget Con bonuses to health, a dwarf with maxed con can get massive ammount's of HP.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #17
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Erm... I have never played IWD multiplayer before. [img]smile.gif[/img] I play IWD+HoW+TotL on HoF mode with a starting party of 6 level 1 characters.

The starting involves a lot of running, but once you getting access to spells like Web, Prayer, Recitation, etc... the battles start nudging you to use tactics in order to survive.

Especially since HP is almost meaningless on HoF mode. 200HP? Hey, check it out, that monster just did 175dmg.

Playing on HoF mode taught me a lot of things, and how to try and maximise a character's potential.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #18
Aerich
Lord Ao

Dang, I could have sworn that was you, Dundee. Maybe I'm just crazy. I suppose it must have been the mod on a different IWD forum I occasionally visit.

Alternatively, maybe we're both crazy - lvl 1 characters right from the start on HoF... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Then again, I imagine somebody levels up everytime you kill an orc, right?