Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Man of Steel ( minor spoil )

So...being, as I am, a huuge fan of Superman comics, and all shows related I've ofc been anticipating Man of steel like a little girl that knows her new pony will be arriving soon.

I was off with a group of friends to watch it back when it premiered and I liked it, action was great and they really nailed the new costume. A few days later I went to see it again with another good friend who could not make it for the first screening and this time my reaction was somewhat cooler.

I still like the movie, actingwise its lightyears better than "Brandon Routh" in Superman Returns, I really like Henry Cavhil as Superman and I find that most of the movie is indeed great. HOWEVER... character build up is almost non-existent and worse is that the editing of the movie with cutbacks to childhood works against the movie imho - because you're always struggling to keep up. The most important thing I felt was lacking was actually Clark Kent, the bumbling, nerdy and very ANTI-heroic journalist is introduced in the last 2 minutes of the movie and does give me hope that the sequel will be sporting Mr.Kent and his attempts of saving the world without notice.

On a sidenote: Just a bunch of strange stuff.

Dr. Emil Hamilton is played by Richard Schiff in the movie, the officer Sekowsky sitting next to him manning the computers in the arctic is the actor that played Dr. Emil Hamilton in the Smallville show, Allesandro Juliani.
Amy Adams who plays Lois Lane is also from Smalville, though she only had one appearance as a good girl with a seriously weird eating disorder.

and my absolute favourite, Henry Cavhil is an AVID fan of Skyrim and even played WoW to level 90 with his three trolls - who knew! lol

Anyways I think the sequel will definatly be more about CK and bring back some of the charm thats missing from the first - hopefully with equally insane action scenes.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Man of Steel ( minor spoil )

I'd love a sequel, but I'd love even more to see a prequel! I don't know if it's just me, but I really loved the stuff on Krypton. I'd watch a movie about Jor-El.

It's true that without Clark we missed the "secret" aspect of superman. The Superman of this movie wasn't much about secrecy. As he grew up he all but openly used his powers. It's a wonder no one tracked him down before.

It's strange also that they had Lois know his secret already. It's is usually one of the main aspect of the CK/Lois relationship. We'll see how it goes in the next movie.

That said I think it's the best Superman movie in years and I really loved it.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

News are out now that the next movie will be Batman/Superman co-op and I guess that unfortunately means no CK ( I just don't think they will invest screentime for him when they can show the bat and the super battling eachother ).

In my humble opinion I think they're rushing it, they should have waited with the co-op for the third installment and spent more time introducing us to the new character builds.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah I agree. But I think they're going with the Avengers recipe: as much screen time as possible showing lots of superheroes kicking asses.

I really loved Avengers. I really loved the action of Man of Steel. But I hope they don't go overboard and turn superheroes movies into mindless action flicks. I mean, we have Transformers for that right?