Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Default A few questions about BG1. I'll be really glad if you help me :)

Hi everyone. I played BG2 (and ToB) 5-6 years ago. I'm looking for some nostalgia these days and decided to play BG1.

I like to ask few questions..

1. Bows are useful? Should I invest some points in ranged weapons?

2. Should I dual class Imoen to Mage? If yes, at which level? Her rogue skills will be enough in Durlag's Tower?

3. What's your party suggestion for a good aligned party and protoganist? I'm thinking about a fighter.

4. If my rep is 20, Jaheira will quit? (since she's a neutral)

5. I heard about there's some patches that removes the experience cap. When you remove cap, your characters keep gaining levels and skill points? I mean If I get beyond 161k, my character can get to level 12?

Thanks a lot!
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Default Re: A few questions about BG1. I'll be really glad if you help me :)

1) Bows aren't just useful, they're broken. Which leads us to...

3) Make sure you pick up Kivan, who works well with a bow.

4) No, she'll just complain that she doesn't like the way the group is turning out.

You seem to want Jahiera and Khalid and Imoen. You and Kivan make four, you just need a fifth. Now you have three fighters, two people who can use a bow, but little spell power. Even if you dual Imoen to a mage (and someone else on here is surely better equipped to tell you when), you have half a cleric and half a mage (and no mage until you dual her).

If you pick up Branwen and you play a mage, you should be set. Or you could play a cleric and pick up Xan.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I always liked Xan better than Branwen- and because of his class, he forces the player to use more incapacitating spells instead of spamming fireball/magic missile.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for the reply!

I'm thinking about picking a cleric. I always played as Cleric in PnP games, LoL.

Do you think dual class fighter/cleric is a good option? I start as fighter then dual class to cleric.

And will be happy if you can help me with my question about xp cap.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

If you're going the Fighter/Cleric route, then head up the Ranger/Cleric one. I like it better as a warrior/healer combination. Plus, you get some druid spells along the way.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

Yes, you keep gaining levels when you remove the XP cap. But if all you do is remove the XP cap, you still don't get spells higher than fifth level by merit of not having them in the game.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

You said you keep gaining levels, your HP increases as well? For example, if my character gets to level 15, his HP will increase after level 10?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Yuppers.