Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-07-2001, 07:26 AM   #1
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Not sure if this is the right forum, but...

I just posted a message where I recalled that (very) old classic "Eye of the Beholder" - I remembered just how cool that was. Thought I'd get all nostalgic.

I remember just how scary it was first time walking through those sewers. Resting after every fight. Got a bit tedious. Kill, rest, kill, rest, die from spider poison. reload (etc).

Funnily enough, I played it about 18 months ago - completed the entire game in about 1 hour (real time).

Anybody else remember that or other classic D&D PC games?
Old 06-07-2001, 07:35 AM   #2
Lord Shield

Sure do. I couldn't get EOB3 to work on my PC (damn!). A couple of years ago, the older games came out on compilations which I bought (I had the originals on Atari and Amiga), including the SSI games (Pool or Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds/Secret of the Silver Blades/Pools of Darkness and Champions/Death Knights/Dark Queen of Krynn)
EOB followed after Dungeon Master (which was seen as the progenitor for first-person fantasy games) - now THERE was a cool game

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-07-2001, 07:36 AM   #3
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Pools of radience 1 and the bards tale or something like that

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 07:37 AM   #4
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Sorry lest I forget ultima underworld not strictly what your looking for but the first true 3d game

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 08:01 AM   #5
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Never played Ultima (or any of the successors). I Remember Dungeon Keeper, but never liked the stupid move-the-mouse-to-make-magic thing (is that the right game, even?) - although it seems to work OK in Black&White.

Just remembered another snippet from EOB - throwing everything you've got at the bad-dudes (including potions and jewellery - they do damage!) then running around picking it up afterwards.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:02 AM   #6
Lord Shield

Of course! Ultima Underworld fixed that '90 degree turn' stuff you had in Dungeon Master/EOB/SSI's Ravenloft games
Bard' Tale was excellent and all 3 where in the "RPG Archives" compilation (even with the original bug if you spoke to old man in BT3 before raising levels. You have to do it other way round or lose LOTS of the new XP - ah, the memories)
BT2 annoyed me because at certain points you HAD to leave PCs behind to take on crappy NPCs to bypass some snares. Still, they were excellent games

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-07-2001, 08:15 AM   #7
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Ah sweet memories the good old blue game crash screen of death, the times things paused and never moved, getting stuck outside a map, when youd here details of things that happened in a different saved game and the computer would mix up the facts, the casual dissapearence of vital items, Hideous bugs that would leave you trapped in a conversation, or youd chose a perfectly valid option and the game over screen ah the good old days

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 09:06 AM   #8
Laurentius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

im looking forward to 'Neverwinter Nights' ... but i still had visited this town before (2x ... Savage Frontier)

the strategic figths in the Gold-Box-Series + Savage Fr. were good (they are still included in BGs/IWDs -round system-),
but the '90°-3D'-games EOB1-3 were easier to play

Menzoberranzan (real 3D) was a pain to look at, but it had nice story + monsters
(doesnt run properly on nowadays systems, cause of soundcard probs + EMS/XMS-managemant)

*** .... walking through Phlan .... dreaming .... ***

Old 06-07-2001, 09:34 AM   #9
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by antonius:
Never played Ultima (or any of the successors). I Remember Dungeon Keeper, but never liked the stupid move-the-mouse-to-make-magic thing (is that the right game, even?) - although it seems to work OK in Black&White.

Just remembered another snippet from EOB - throwing everything you've got at the bad-dudes (including potions and jewellery - they do damage!) then running around picking it up afterwards.
I just thought that creatures getting bombarded by pants, socks and bra's should automatically run for their lives at the sight of a huge naked fighter running towards them while twirling a boot over his head to throw. No matter how great a warrior I may be nothing would make me fail that all important bravery test more than that and I'd rather face a horde of red dragons!
Old 06-07-2001, 10:13 AM   #10
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

ahhh UW, the very first comp game i ever played. i remember being creeped out on the first level by the music (i was five, give me a break!). i finally beat it a few years ago, and this discussion is making me remember it. o well...