Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-13-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

I have a Desktop Pc with Windows 98 and a laptop with Windows XP. Can I connect them to make a LAN? If so, could someone give me instructions on how to do so? THANKS
Old 05-13-2002, 11:56 AM   #2
MagiK

Yes you can hook them up in a LAN configuration, you will need network Interface Cards (NIC's) in each. Aside from that...Im at work and can't look up the Windows config stuff you need to set Sorry, but Im sure there are others with better resources online that can be of more help. The NIC's are fairly cheap for 10/100Mb cards these days (under $20) You can hook the two machines up directly or through a reletively cheap hub.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:18 PM   #3
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Barb,

The other thing you can do, If you are going to need to buy NIC cards, is to get a "network in a box". It's a relativly inexpensive kit that comes with 2 NIC card, Cat 5 cable, Instructions. It is very easy to use.

You Can Not Hide
Old 05-13-2002, 01:16 PM   #4
Thoran
Galvatron

Because Windows XP is based on NT, you will have some hurdles getting them to talk to each other. Windows NT security is tighter than 98, and you'll probably find that at the default settings you can't see shares on your XP box from the 98 box, but you can go the other way... XP TO 98.

You can get around this by opening up the security on your XP box... which is fine if you're not connecting to the internet.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:42 PM   #5
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

After you have your network cards, cables, and hub in place the configuration is very easy in XP. Just use the network wizard and it will walk you through it. It will even create a floppy that you can run in the 98 system that will automatically set it up.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:50 PM   #6
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
Because Windows XP is based on NT, you will have some hurdles getting them to talk to each other. Windows NT security is tighter than 98, and you'll probably find that at the default settings you can't see shares on your XP box from the 98 box, but you can go the other way... XP TO 98.

You can get around this by opening up the security on your XP box... which is fine if you're not connecting to the internet.
Bah it's not that hard. We currently have 5 different pc's in my house, running 4 versions of windows and 1 on linux; all of which can access the internet. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Barb, I wouldn't bother with a hub if is only 2 pc's that you are hooking up. Just remember terminators if you are using BNC cable.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:56 PM   #7
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
[Barb, I wouldn't bother with a hub if is only 2 pc's that you are hooking up. Just remember terminators if you are using BNC cable.
Wow BNC! People still use that? [img]smile.gif[/img] If your using cat5 and don't want to use a hub remember to use a crossover cable.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:54 PM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I've got 3 macs, 2 PCs, an X box and a Dreamcast all hooked up to ONE single LAN... O_o if that works then ANYTHING will [img]tongue.gif[/img] Infact the iMac is the lead server, (they all run off of a 56K modem mind you) all you need is Ethernet ports on your comps, the right software, AAAAND, A 10-BaseT Tranciever Dual direction multi-facited doohikey Ethernet Line [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2002, 07:47 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

I've got an XP box and 2 98's on a LAN with no problems. Use the XP home networking wizard and it'll guide you through setting it up. If you've got software firewalls running on your machines, you'll have to tell them about the LAN. If you've got the $$$, pick up a router for your LAN.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:06 AM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:

Bah it's not that hard. We currently have 5 different pc's in my house, running 4 versions of windows and 1 on linux; all of which can access the internet. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Barb, I wouldn't bother with a hub if is only 2 pc's that you are hooking up. Just remember terminators if you are using BNC cable.
[/QUOTE]accessing the internet is the easy part... it's the file shares I was talking about...

what the "simple file sharing" stuff for XP does is give "everyone" access to shared resources (specific shares and access depends on which "level" you choose). This in and of itself is not horrible, but the way 95/98/me boxes get access to folders on XP is through the "Guest" account. If your XP box is on the internet the first thing you normally want to do is disable the Guest account, and you CERTAINLY don't want to give the Guest account access to folders on your system. All my boxes are at least NT and the only access is for users who are domain authenticated... you can't do that if you want 95/98/ME boxes to see shared resources on the network.

by opening your system up so 95/98/me systems can see shared folders you're leaving it open to outside attack... and as I said... you're REALLY relying on your firewall to protect you (more so than I'm comfortable with myself). It's up to you...

[ 05-14-2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]