Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-23-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Letter

Not our beloved forum regular beermeister, but the king of late night, Johnny Carson. He passed away today at the age of 79, from emphysema.

Some of our younger members may not know him, but I remember staying up in my dorm until he finished his monologue almost every night... rest in peace.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

RIP Johnny. One of the funniest comedians on TV, and IIRC never used profanity.

Funniest thing I ever saw on his show (actually on a "best of JC" anniversary show) was the ax-throwing demo. They put up a piece of wood with a man outlined on it, and the guy throwing the ax stuck it in the target's crotch. Johnny's expression & body language had me ROFLMAO...

A lot of people claim to have seen an exchange between Johnny & Zsa Zsa Gabor, but Snopes says it didn't happen. Supposedly she was on the show and brought her persian cat & had it in her lap. She asked him "Would you like to pet my pu...?" and he said "Sure -- just as soon as you move that damn cat."

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by VulcanRider:
RIP Johnny. One of the funniest comedians on TV, and IIRC never used profanity.

Funniest thing I ever saw on his show (actually on a "best of JC" anniversary show) was the ax-throwing demo. They put up a piece of wood with a man outlined on it, and the guy throwing the ax stuck it in the target's crotch. Johnny's expression & body language had me ROFLMAO...

A lot of people claim to have seen an exchange between Johnny & Zsa Zsa Gabor, but Snopes says it didn't happen. Supposedly she was on the show and brought her persian cat & had it in her lap. She asked him "Would you like to pet my pu...?" and he said "Sure -- just as soon as you move that damn cat."
Actually, that little exchange DID take place, but Robert Blake was the guest host (this was when his show Baretta was still on TV) and the guest was Raquel Welch. Blake was obviously drunk and - needless to say - it was his last time serving as guest host.

The exchange that DID take place between Zsa Zsa and Johnny was about their many former spouses. Johnny had been married several times, but the topic of his ex-wives was strict taboo. NO guests were allowed to mention it at all. Well, Zsa Zsa had the same reputation of having a large number of EX-husbands and that was usually the main topic discussed when she was on a talk show. So Johnny campily asked her about her ex-husbands and it apparantly hacked Ms Gabor off, so she purred back "And how are your ex-wives?" According the story I read, they cut to commercial and Zsa Zsa was gone when they came back.

And I agree the ax-throwing incident is probably the funniest clip I ever saw from any of his shows. Johnny was laughing so hard he was literally crying. The fellow throwing the axes was a Native American actor that (IIRC) starred on the Daniel Boone TV series from the 60's.

Another memorable clip from his "Best of" shows was when he had a stuntman as a guest. The stuntman told how many of his stunts were done and actually talked Johnny into trying the "falling" stunt for himself. They set a scaffold up on stage with the platform around 20-30ft high (can't remember exactly). Then they set up huge pads on stage for them to fall into (no airbag). The stuntman went first to show Johnny how it was done. You could tell that Johnny was scared out of his wits, and he almost backed out a couple of times. When he finally did jump, he came very close to missing the pads. He landed right on the edge and actually slid off them onto the stage. I have a feeling that he had to run backstage for a change of underwear during the next commercial break. But give the man his due, he DID overcome his fear and jumped off the platform, which is something a LOT of hosts would never THINK of doing. But that was what made Johnny so successful - the fact that he WOULD try stuff like that to see it from the guests perspective.

Johnny Carson had a serious reputation in Hollywood. If anybody crossed him, he did have the power and leverage to have them blacklisted - and he apparantly used this power on several occasions. His show was also considered an absolute "must do" for aspiring young actors, actresses, and comedians. Carson could quite literally make or break careers - depending on the mood he was in.

Still, he was an icon and a very talented comedian and talk show host. I think all other late night hosts will always be measured against the standard he set.

It's sad to hear of his passing. May he truly Rest in Peace.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

One word - Immortal.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I remember my friends and I would get together on a nightly basis just to hear his monologue. Nobody can do it like Carson did.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Heard this on the news this morning. Very sad

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I used to like to stay up to watch his show when I was in university. Sad day.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:45 AM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I don't know him but it's sad. RIP.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

wow..i must be one of the younger ones to remember him. i used to stay up late in bed to watch him, specially when he had animals on (jack hanna i think) but i was really really young, elementary school. back when i still thought i could be a veternarian.

so sad to hear about his death. both of my granpa's died of emphysema, it's not pretty.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
yeah, RIP, Johnny. The wimp that replaced him (J. Leno) and all the other little wanna-be's will NEVER EVEN COME CLOSE.

"Hail to tha king"

SilentThief