Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-09-2001, 01:30 PM   #11
Artemis
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by OBI WAN:
I seem to always have a habit to keep the same chracters all throughout the game. I feel abit sad when I've got to drop someone. If only you could have more chracters with you. Say about 8? Or maybe just 6 and the other two could tug along but you don't have control of them. And at least they be gaining experince points. I haven't released Imoen yet in the game, but I think twice in giving up Yoshimo because I've sort of got used to the guy.
Yes, I'm a sucker for loyalty too. If someone has battled and suffered with me, I have a hard time emotionally casting them off for a "better" player. Usually the first time I play the game I'll role-play and let myself be a sucker for the little story I create in my head and be loyal. In BG1, with my Artemis female-elf-fighter-mage character, I made an all-star good team composed only of other female players or other elves (or somebody with a hamster...I just love Minsc!). So I played with Minsc, Imoen, Dynaheir, Kivan, and Viconia (I justified Viconia as being good because she was an outcast from the Drows). Had a great time and kicked ass. I'm wrestling with using a similar strategy for my first play of BG2, but can't decide. I'm curious to hear what other role-play scenarios people have dreamed up and played by...

I'm also wrestling with dropping/keeping Jaheira. She fits my role-play described above, but I'd like a better sword. I'd also like a Paladin, but I figure if I put the Girdle of Giant Strength on her she'd be pretty strong. What's up with the double proficiency in Clubs anyway? Good club weapon out there somewhere for her? I know a lot of quests and story line surrounds her, so am loath to drop her and close those doors. Opinions?

Old 03-09-2001, 01:51 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Artemis.....you can find a great club later on (+3 and another +2 which is +3 vs undead) but let me know if you want to be spoiled about their location. I totally agree with Memny that that spoil was totally uncalled for! Hope you managed to avert your eyes in time...
My tips:
KEEP JAHEIRA!!! She totally rules! I have her with an AC of -7 wielding a spear +3 or alternatively with an AC of -11 (!) wielding a club +3 Plus the Insect spells are just SO useful!

I'd ditch Nalia if I were you...if you're not against using evil guys, you could use Edwin (very good mage) but he doesn't work well with Minsc. Try Jan Janssen so you'll have a decent thief/mage and some great conversation.

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-09-2001, 04:13 PM   #13
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Keep Jaheria, she is a druid that can fight and have decent armor class, not to mention all the fun druid spells you get. Just give her a good club, decent armor, and a good shield.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-10-2001, 08:10 AM   #14
Stealthy

OK, just to reinforce other recommendations:

Very slight spoilers

Keldorn, he is the only one who can wield the best sword in the game and he is an excellent fighter. His dispel magic at twice his level is a life saver.

Jaheira, essential as her spells can completely neutralize spell casters. Good back up fighter, especially if you follow Melusines advice or use staffs. Great story too.

Keep Nalia, not Imoen, as she will reach higher levels much quicker. Trust me, I don't want to spoil you. There are items which can improve her weak thieving skills, if neccesary.

Aerie, excellent backup mage and healer.

Your last slot could be used to rotate NPC's for their quests. Or you could use it for Jan, for his thieving skills and backup mage.

This may seem a very mage orientated party, but a higher levels spellcasters dominate the game. Think of the encounters you have had. Who caused you the most grief. Why is Irenicus a mage? Nuff said. If you insist on another fighter, go for Valygar as he can use one of the other kick-ass blades.

------------------

Never accept an invitation from Wolfgir to a BBQ!
Old 03-12-2001, 02:41 AM   #15
Artemis
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Or you could use it for Jan, for his thieving skills and backup mage.
[/B]
Very minor spoilers...
-
-
-
-
How effective would Imoen be as the principal thief of the group? I'm leaning towards the following combo:
- myself, powerful fighter/mage who ends up doing more fighting than mage-ing i have my character do a lot of pre-battle spells and then armor up for playing the fighter
- Minsc as the other tank of the team
- Aerie for her wide portfolio of cleric & mage spells
- Jaheira for her druid spells and ability to play 3rd sword (and with the sling of seeking and the one of the girdles of strength, she is putting those bullets through some people's skulls)
- Nalia for maging...she can reach the high level mage spells that Aerie can't due to her multi-class, and Nalia has high HP
- Imoen, for her maging and story-line attributes.

My big question is can Imoen, with the assistance of some of the magical items for thieves, get the thieving job done? I don't want to find myself failing in that respect, but if it could work out I'd have a pretty mean all-star team with some heavy magic-users (critical for the big bad-guy battles). Also fits my theme of all gals and hamster lovers

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Artemis (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 03:32 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:

How effective would Imoen be as the principal thief of the group? I'm leaning towards the following combo:
- myself, powerful fighter/mage who ends up doing more fighting than mage-ing i have my character do a lot of pre-battle spells and then armor up for playing the fighter
- Minsc as the other tank of the team
- Aerie for her wide portfolio of cleric & mage spells
- Jaheira for her druid spells and ability to play 3rd sword (and with the sling of seeking and the one of the girdles of strength, she is putting those bullets through some people's skulls)
- Nalia for maging...she can reach the high level mage spells that Aerie can't due to her multi-class, and Nalia has high HP
- Imoen, for her maging and story-line attributes.

My big question is can Imoen, with the assistance of some of the magical items for thieves, get the thieving job done? I don't want to find myself failing in that respect, but if it could work out I'd have a pretty mean all-star team with some heavy magic-users (critical for the big bad-guy battles). Also fits my theme of all gals and hamster lovers

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Artemis (edited 03-12-2001).]
The basic functions of a thief, especially in a good party, are to open locks and find traps. Imoen and Nalia will fill these roles reasonably well. Just don't expect them to hide in shadows or pick pockets too often.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 04:15 AM   #17
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

Stelth man, that is one kool Skeleton....

I see your theem you have goen with the Hampster loven/women party.
Look your gonna wear out ole Minsc. He's great and all but that much womenly wilds around will wear down even the great ranger that he is!

Pick up Keldorn soon as you can though. With his Holey Avenger life is good. Took down a copple deamons all by himself for me. He is the mages bane once he has his avenger. At least half of all spells bounce right off him, and you get 3 more dispells per day, armor that has "free movement" cast on it, so that webs no longer slow him down. It's great for takeing down mages, just web/entangle, and send him in wile the the baddies are trying to brake free. Then once he gets that big ole two-hander warmed up he is dispelling each round on the pesky mage. He took down a lich wile all the other party members sat their and drewled.

Minsc (and Boo!)is a must, just cause he is Minsc, and out to do some "Butt kicking for goodness!".

My main character is an elf (fighter/mage), so he was a sucker for Aerie. Pluss she is pure spell power. I like keeping two clerics on hand, and she can cast powerfull mage stuff.

I tried replaceing Jaheira with the drow elf priestess, but ah...*mudder* her and Keldorn have ISSUES. I had to let her go and get Jaheria back. I really don't like her, but I'm learning to work with the druid magic (insect swarm is kool, entangle nice!).

Anomen has vanished on me. I dumped him for the drow and I guess he got offended, so I don't know a thing about him.

Never could stomach Nalia, she is an Imoen clone but snootie and not Imoen, nuff said...

Cernd would be fine but his AC would just suck due to lack of decent armor, and his dislike of shields.

The other Ranger Valgar <--Sp? would be fine, but I have Minsc and Keldon. No need for more bashers.

Yoshimo is a great Thief, and exclent backup bow dude, and you can backstab with his Katana, and their are alot of other good Katana's in the game. I did have to let him go eventually. Him and my main character had a slight differance of opinion you might say.

Unless your a heartless bastard you pretty much have to drag along Imoen. She becomes a really decent mage though, and magic is the key to the game. You might live by the sword, and die by it, but thouse who enchant thy blade live longer.

------------------
--Kellin da Mage--
Old 03-12-2001, 06:21 AM   #18
Corinthian
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hallo Artemis, cool topic,
IMO Imoen is a better thief than Nalia.She is after all a level 7 thief while Nalia is level 4(?)-though as Memnoch said, dont expect either of them to do too much hiding in shadows, backstabbing and/or pickpocketing.Still for an all star good team I'd go with Imoen.Besides she doesnt whine as much as Nalia .
As to other good guys,
You have to have Keldorn.A true gentleman warrior and virtuous knight.Anyway, how could you have an all star good team without a Paladin?Give him the gauntlets of dexterity(he really needs these) and the Carsomyr and he becomes a power to be reckoned with.
As far as Minsc goes, Minsc is just Minsc!!!A great melee fighter and/or archer who complements your party in almost every possible way-besides its good to have a party mascot in Boo.Theres been a lot of debate over whether Valygar is better than Minsc-frankly its tough to decide either way.Though maybe Minsc's underused rage ability gives him a slight edge?
Jaheira is pretty good to have too, especially once you give her strength enhancing equipment-she really needs it if she is to be an efective front liner-I have her wielding a scimitar+3 and an AC of -7.So she is definitely worth keeping around.
Ah as for Yoshimo he is the best thief in the game but otherwise...*spoiler alert*
/
/
/
/
/
Yoshimo..good golly gosh!Oh me oh my oh dear!/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Returning to the thread:
Jan is a very good thief and an able back up mage,
have him and Minsc in the same party and watch some crazy comedy.Those two together are a crack up!
I dont know much about Anomen as I disliked that guy at first sight and dropped him fast-though as an essentally pure cleric I can see his uses.
No one knows much about Haer'Dalis so I am going to pick him up into my group and see what hes like-a difficult decision as I am pretty attached to my guys right now and dropping anyone will be difficult .
As for Mazzy.... to be honest I dont really rate her.Maybe I should play with her more, I dunno.
Anyways the party make up you have is, I think, very good at the moment though you will have to make changes down the line.I dont want to spoil any surprises for you-but as you alreay know that you get Imoen back I'd recommend swapping her with Nalia.Or maybe Jan for Nalia, and then later Imoen for Jan?
This would mean that you could even drop Yoshimo for another NPC-Keldorn maybe?
Depend what you are working with and what you want-maybe you could even bring back Nalia and form a powerful magic orientated party?That would be a very strong party indeed!!!Especially as Magic kicks a$$ at the higher levels of the game, and as the story proceeds.

------------------
Have you ever wondered, little bird, what it must be like to look at the world through the eyes of a God?
Old 03-14-2001, 05:21 PM   #19
T2000lbs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimension X:

Imoen: [Spoiler] It's your sister, for goodness' sake!! Take her along. She makes for a pretty good mage too...Level 16 in my game, and kicking asses with those Level 8 spells.

[/B]
Damn idiot!!!!!! Why did you say that one the SAME LINE?!?! I couldn't help but continue and you ruined it for me!!!! ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*pauses...sighs* i'm only in chapter 2...

oh well... i can't do anything about it now...just don't do that aigan man...think before you post....
Old 03-15-2001, 02:51 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by T2000lbs:
Damn idiot!!!!!! Why did you say that one the SAME LINE?!?! I couldn't help but continue and you ruined it for me!!!! ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*pauses...sighs* i'm only in chapter 2...

oh well... i can't do anything about it now...just don't do that aigan man...think before you post....
You guys know that you can edit your posts to delete these types of spoilers right? It doesn't take too long at all to do that.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame