Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 05:30 AM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

Does anybody know an easy and simple (I'm thinking along the lines of "Command Prompt" or GUI like Avichopper or Avidefreezer) tool to shrink the size (and quality) of AVI files?
When archiving TV-shows it's a bugger to use one CD for each episode.
I know I could do it with VirtualDub, FlaskMPEG or Premiere, but I always mess up the sound sync and frankly it takes to long to employ it on a whole season.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:12 AM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

The best way is to import them into Flash, and have them converted to an object, then you can make them any size you want, both in dimensions and in level of compression. You could put a super-high JPEG compression on every frame. In the end the file would always save as a low-low size swf file which looks just great and is designed for the internet. If you don't know anybody who has flash, perhaps you could send me this video (not via e-mail) over MSN or some instant messager. my AOL name is Shinokorosha and i'm i_boswell@hotmail.com on MSN. Just contact me and I'll size it down for you, big time [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

I have Flash, but I'm not sure this is the right way.
I'm talking about downsizing a 450MB file to 60MB or the like.
After all Flash is no movie prog.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:26 AM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Ah so basically you're looking for a tool that can do batch conversion of AVI to DIVX without much user input. Sorry don't know of such a tool, I only know VirtualDub.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

Actually I'm only looking for a tool that can do
BIG DIVX FILE -> small divx file
same codec but smaller bitrate
My main problem is that I like 30-60MB files for a Friends episode and not 250MB
Old 10-22-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well then just use VirtualDub. You shouldn't mess up the sound sync unless you change the frame rate! Leave the frame rate alone and just go to Video->Compression , select DivX and set the bit rate. Changing the bit rate should not effect the sound sync, you must've messed with the frame rate. Also, make sure you select Full processing mode for both Video and Audio and compress Audio to MPeg-layer 3 (MP3) to like 96kbps or 80kbps something you don't need higher cos it's not quality music.

You can't do much about the long time it takes - this depends only on 2 things: the number of mathematical operations performed by the processor due to the complexity of the compression codec and the speed of the processor. Get a faster processor if you can't wait! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-22-2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

okido, virtualDub it is then.
I was fooling around with FlaskMPEG mainly and I may have messed up some settings
For the long time: Oh well, I leave my PC running 24/7 so I can do it at night or when I'm at college or work.