Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum BRAND NEW Neverwinter RPG Coming Soon! (Not NWN 3) made by Cryptic

Neverwinter Exclusive Q&A - First Details on Cryptic's New Dungeons & Dragons Game
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/never...opslot;thumb;1

It's also based partially on the NEW R.A. Salvatore Novel coming in Oct. 2010 called "Gauntlgrym". (It's a long lost Dwarven City that Drizzt and Battlehammer are going on a Journey to find--much like the journey to find Mithral Hall in the old novels)

It's gonna have a Toolset too! And have a STRONG Multi-player engine. (It's not a MMO). So it looks like we'll be back in the Forgotten Realms again soon!!!!
We can get groups together here and play online sometime when it comes out! I'll make some new levels if the toolset is good too!!
Check the interview out for the details on the game! It IS set 100 years in the future, after the 'Spell plague'.... (4th Edition FR).

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: BRAND NEW Neverwinter RPG Coming Soon! (Not NWN 3) made by Cryptic

Thank you Jesus. About time a D&D game came along.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I know, RIGHT??? I know some may not like Salvatore, but hey, its gotta be a better story than some game designers 'go get me 20 fish spines for 20 gold' quests ..

Plus, with this toolset, we can design our own stories afterwards.
Been dying for a new D&D game based in the Forgotten Realms. That "Eberron" world dull.. I really don't know why that DnD MMO didn't use FR for the world setting.. FR has such a massive history... Eberron is new and lame. lol.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yep. And once I hear FR, I am there. So starved of good D&D games - or ANY D&D games for that matter. I will take what I can get and this is actually based in a world people like. While Cryptic have a history of bad support and low content (City of heroes, Champions Online, Star Trek Online) I am still desperately optimistic and figure it can only be better than Turbine or Obsidian.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I'm gonna keep positive and hope its great! Also glad Obsidian isn't touching it--they are dead.. their art, design and programming is poor.

I found out that Obsidian made that ghastly crappy 'RPG' 'Descent to Undermountain' --using the Descent 3D Engine... It was a joke.. floating monsters, wands with someone whistling--sound effects.. It wasn't even finished. Released for Christmas too.. To cash in on it, and dump it. Before Obsidian was Obsidian.

It's considered the worst wanna-be RPG ever made. wow!

Can't wait to see what Cryptic comes up with! Hope its neat!!! Anything is better than nothing at this point, as ya said.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

What I didn't like about the advert was that they say the single-player will be significantly harder in order to promote team play. Is that the way you guys read that?? Well, sorry, I'm not very 'twitchy', and certainly don't like being bitched at for slow play...so why can't I play single-player with the same relative difficulty as MP???

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

From what I read in what Z provided, it's going to be an Online game, but not MMO. In essence, it will be like playing Z's mod solo in NWN's. Yes you can do it, I know I've trolled UM alone a lot, but it is harder to do than hooking up with a few friends and running it. User made content will actually be added to NPC's in the actual online game, again from what I understand, meaning that, unlike NWN's 1 or 2, there won't really be a SP campaign, much like an MMO, in that regard anyway. Again, this is just my take on what's provided here, and I really don't have time today to research it further.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Hindsight
The Magister

The engine in NWN2 sucked the big one!
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I'll be most interested when they sort this part out:

Quote:
The word on the streets is that Cryptic Studios is planning to build Neverwinter as a micro-transaction-funded title. That hasn't been confirmed, and it looks as if Cryptic won't be revealing the game's model for awhile, as it's still evaluating its options.

In a chat with Gamasutra (via Big Download), COO Jack Emmert implied that the studio is still thinking about the pricing model and said that every sort of model--pay-by-the-hour, monthly or weekly subscriptions, and free-to-play, etc.--are still fair game for the MMO developer's non-MMO title.

"I can guarantee you that we envision this as an online product that will continue to grow over time, that we continue to add content to. So whether it's subscription fee, whether it's free-to-play, whether it's micro-transactions, whether it's pay-by-the-minute [laughs], whether it's some sort of Ponzi scheme that I haven't figured out, I don't know. None of that has been announced," he said.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: BRAND NEW Neverwinter RPG Coming Soon! (Not NWN 3) made by Cryptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
I'll be most interested when they sort this part out:
Me too.

Also, I feel like I know Jack Emmert just from playing many of his games. He has a tendency to lure fans in by tapping popular licenses and themes (Superheroes, Champions, Star Trek, D&D) and basically charge you for content that should have been present at launch. As an example, most of his MMO's, from my experience, have virtually no endgame content at launch and very lazy mid-level content if even that (e.g. randomized instances -same goal done around 50 times). The filler stuff then gets added every few months but is touted as an "update" when it is in fact, a piece of the original game his team simply haven't gotten around to making yet. It's like ordering a pizza and getting one slice a month, whilst paying for the full thing each time.

He is also infamous for making many promises he cannot keep - publicly on forums and interviews and such. I remember he promised this and that for City of Heroes, everyone carried on paying for his game so they could see these things added and then he did a number on them, sold the entire game rights to Cryptic and basically fled, to go work on a different game.

I think he is good creatively, but not practical. Just from what I've seen he seems to over-extend himself, with grandiose ideas that rarely reach fruition. Atop this, he will announce these ideas to eager players as if they are a done deal - and when they don't happen he is either gone or oblivious. I dunno, I am wary of this guy based on the products he creates, having played them all first-hand.