Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
dplax
Jack Burton

Default Re: Firewalls- recommendations?

ZFR: Avast's network shield offers only pretty basic protection and may not be sufficient. It all depends of course on other parameters of the network connection. If you're behind a hardware firewall then you don't even need Avast's network shield...if you connect directly to the net, you need something more.

Avast as an antivirus is great, but IMO it doesn't double too well on the firewall front...

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been told that a hardware firewall is superior to any software firewall and I believe it.

However, I double up and allow Windows Firewall to be actively engaged (mostly because MS has a way of being annoying if its not active...)
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
andrewas
Harper

A hardware firewall is superior to a software firewall as far as incoming attacks are concerned - with a good firewall, your PC becomes invisible to scanning and invulnerable to almost all attacks. It'll still fall if somebody with real skills decides they really want to get in, but thats rare.

However, a hardware firewall doesn't exist as far as outgoing traffic is concerned. If a malware does get into your system, theres no way the firewall can prevent the malware calling home with all your credit card details. Theres no way to distinguish that traffic from legitimate traffic. This is why you need both firewalls to be really secure, or at least you need a strong antivirus/anti malware so that the malware cannot install to the system in the first place.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
I have been told that a hardware firewall is superior to any software firewall and I believe it.

However, I double up and allow Windows Firewall to be actively engaged (mostly because MS has a way of being annoying if its not active...)
Windows firewall seems to cause alot more problems when "ON" than when "Off". Also, many say it doesn't do it's job anyways so I dunno. But, I have had it interfere with programs and port stuff at times so if you experience issues this is where to look firstly.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the input so far! LOL, if I could cast a firewall spell....it sure would be a lot easier, wouldn't it?

D-day for the wiping of the pc is approaching. We got the new hard drive and the partition magic software.

Hubby has the hardware firewall in place ( we are networked on a wireless modem) but he also insists we need good software firewalls.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I agree with Andrewas (who knows more about this than I do ). Hardware firewalls prevent things from coming in... they don't stop things from going out. Software firewalls do that, and I use both.

I use ZoneAlarm basic on all my PCs except the Vista machine.... that one uses Windows Defender, and once I instructed it who was boss, I haven't had any issues with it.

I also have a hardware firewall that keeps everything else out.

So far, so good... and good luck on the newly configured machine, Cloudy Be sure not to connect it to the 'Net until you need to... there are things out there scanning for unprotected little machines...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks Bungleau! I won't access the net til we have a firewall up, so I'm guessing I may end up with ZoneAlarm pro at this point, as hubby knows the program and I don't want to go without internet for long....not that I'm spoilied or anything... LOL
Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #18
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

As you can tell there are many products out there. Some cheap, some even free, then some quite expensive, and bothersome. The key is, a hard firewall mounted within your router, or at your ISP router usually protects you from inbound. You should have received an instruction packet from your ISP on how to access and log in to your "personal zone" and set the hardware to your specifications. Thene there is a software firewall as well. If you have custom set your hard-wall, then the MS supplied soft-wall is the best bet for the buck. Yeah. I know, but hey, a product is a product, and one that is embedded seems to "know" where everything else is.

Whichever you choose, go here to test it.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

It may scare the unwary, for the first thing you see is your ISP and your machine, just read over the intro and "proceed". Select whichever test sounds good, or try them all. This will actually attempt to send and receive through your firewall. I trust it because I have understanding of Steve, well known in the PC world. After testing is complete, you will find yourself feeling either warm and snug, or cold and lonely with no protection in sight.

I us the MS when booted to windows, and my hard-wall is set by me at both the router, and the ISP.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Hey andrewas, you been away? I don't think I've seen you post lately?

BTW, your name is very annoying. take one letter out and you have MY name.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #20
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Hey andrewas, you been away? I don't think I've seen you post lately?

BTW, your name is very annoying. take one letter out and you have MY name.
One letter? Then you would not have, andre was, you would then have something tee totally different, which would not have the same effect, sound, or stipulation that you have any indication of knowing andrewas.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote