Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, this is driving me completely up the wall. I'm trying to update the NORMAL.DOT template in Word 2000 to EXCLUDE an add-on (WFWORD2K.DOT) but the bloody thing keeps on including it even though I excluded it!!

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense, does it. This is what happened. I installed Winfax Pro 2000 v 10 but the stupid thing didn't install correctly, it basically froze right at the end so it doesn't work. Problem is, I can't uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs (since it officially never finished). I tried to uninstall it using Symantec's Manual Uninstall, which is a nightmare of manually removing macros, registry entries, etc. including the file WFWORD2K.DOT, which is supposed to stop the macro running when I run Word.

Anyway I think I did all that, but the problem is the Word macro that calls on WFWORD2K.DOT is still in the NORMAL.DOT template and keeps trying to run the stupid macro on loading Word, and keeps coming up with an error (compile error in Winfax Print and Merge Module), which is driving me CRAZY. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] Since I deleted the file as I was told to I can't now access the VB Module to remove it. I tried to go to Tools/Add-Ons and Templates and I UNTICKED the WFWORD2K.DOT but there's no way for me to "save" my changes to NORMAL.DOT, because it won't let me save over an open template (which NORMAL.DOT is whenever Word is open). So it keeps coming back once I relaunch Word, a la Groundhog Day.

Any Word experts out there? How do you update NORMAL.DOT?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:15 AM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Why don't you try and uninstall Word and reinstall it again. A fresh new installation of Word should get rid of the damaged being done by Winfax Pro.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I was hoping not to have to do that...any other suggestions before I do that?

Old 03-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I just searched my drive and found 2 copies of Normal.dot, one in \program files\microsoft office\templates and one in my \documents and settings\myname\application data\microsoft\templates folder. If you have more than 1, try overlaying the changed version with the older. BTW, this was Word 2003

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I got tired of messing with it and installed Office all over again.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Mem's want a copy of Winfax Pro 10.0. Bit better than the old 2000 version. I can see what I can rustle up for you in the office.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I was going to suggest just blowing away normal.dot. Word will recreate it for you when you go back in. Sorry I was a bit late... I've been on the road all week.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote