Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-29-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Are all you guys playing the SP mod that came with the game, or are you playing MP?

I really couldn't stand the SP mod and gave up on it very soon. It was just absurd.

Have any of you found good MP projects with the HCR installed?

Kat
Old 07-30-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
uss
20th Level Warrior

Katherine, what do you think, is so absurd in the SP Campaign? So far, it has been a moderately fun experience.
And what is HCR? i´ve heard much about it but have yet to know what it is.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:16 AM   #3
AndyG
Elminster

If you didn't play into chapter 2 in the single player game, you didn't play far enough. The Prelude is a little absurd, and the first chapter is fairly dark, but chapters 2 and 3 are a lot of fun and worth getting to.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Playing both at once. I've finished the single player campaign once, now I'm playing it again to try a new class and catch up on what I missed. Meanwhile I'm also spending quite a bit of time online, particularly in the undermountain mod, made by our very own Ziroc!!! (that a good enough plug for you Z)
Old 07-30-2002, 11:51 PM   #5
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

The thing I don't like about the SP mod is that it's a hack-n-slash game with treasure laying *everywhere.* The mod makes no rational sense and I knew who the bad guys were from the first time I met her and her friend.

There are people begging and dying on the streets, yet there is gold everywhere in every barrel or crate. The fighting is non-stop. Try actually role playing the SP mod and try with permadeath- it's absurd.

No offense to anyone who likes it, though- more power to you. It's just not for me.

The HCR is the Hard Core Rule set.
http://nwn.darkemud.com/~darke/HC/manual.htm

It basically makes the NWN game more like D&D. It makes you use food, it limits resting, it makes use of the -10hps and then your dead rule, requires material components for spells, and lots of other interesting things.

So, has anyone seen any good MP mods out there that use the HCR and require role play?

Kat
Old 07-31-2002, 12:12 AM   #6
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Hey, that HCR sounds pretty cool.
Can it be used on the sp module, or only only "home-made" modules?
Old 07-31-2002, 04:05 AM   #7
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

What I understand is that you can use it on the SP mod. I've been playing on a mod a friend has done with the HCR integrated and it's very fun. I like the fact that you don't die at 0 HP, but at -10 like in the D&D rules.

Kat
Old 07-31-2002, 09:40 AM   #8
DraconisRex

Katherine,

Like your last tag-line in your sig. Wife think's it's funny, too.

Also, thanks for the mod link. And I agree with you comments about treasure, though I'm still having fun...

I also think the price structure is wrong, at least per the "core rules." And I'm dissapointed in the lack of "grenade" weapons, such as Holy Water, Acid, Thunderstones, Alchemist Fire, Tanglefoot Bags...
And the lack of "masterwork" items...

And how some dialog options are so constrained and the methodoloy of solving the problem(s) is limited to 3' of steel.

So, yes, there is legitimate, PnP-ideal-based criticism of the game. And, after I finish each level with a variety of different class/race combos, I'll be developing my own campaign world that has a consistent "realism" to it. i.e., it will be role-playing with combat, not combat with limited role-playing.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:58 AM   #9
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I anxiously await more roleplaying type modules. THAT is what I bought the game for. When I get familiar enough with the toolset, I will be creating my own stories, set in my own world, which will focus on the CHARACTER and not just how much (s)he can kill in an evening.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:56 AM   #10
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Cool, sounds like you two have the right idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kat