Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-26-2002, 09:32 PM   #1
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

A couple of days ago I bought a brand spanking new Memorex CD drive. After installing it I thought I would install Baldurs Gate once again, and have another bash at it. Earlier today whilst I was really engrossed in the game I heard an almighty bang come from my computer, which made me nearly jump out of my skin and fall on the floor. Turning around I realised that the front had been blown clean off the front of my new CD Drive(All the screen went blue and said It cannot find the disk prehaps it needs cleaning!!!!!) I pressed escape to get the blue screen off and then shut my PC down thankful that It still seemed to work. I then disconnected my drive and then tipped it upside down and mournfully watched my pride and joy poor out of it in little, tiny pieces, My Tales of the Sword Coast Disk (It was literally a thousand of pieces)

Now I had a problem I realised that I couldn't find my recipt for the Drive. In the end after a long search I decided to take the defective drive back anyway and try my luck. And for the only time today luck was with me. Staples the shop I bought it from replaced the faulty drive without a recipt and even offered me a copy of tales of the sword coast at half price even though they didn't have too, which was nice.

Now upon returning home and feeling slightly more jolly. I decided to fit my new drive, at which point I realised My PC wasn't OK as I had first thought, the thing had shut down ok but it wouldn't bloody start up again.

At this point I am feeling really annoyed, so I start flicking though my user guide to find an address that I could sent a really angry letter too. But instead I found the disclaimer which simply put boils down to this: Memorex will not be held responsible for any damage too Cds, computers etc unless the drive was fitted by someone qualified to do so. which I am not although I have fitted hundreds of the things in the past with no problems plus memorex provides a big installation guide with the drive with easy simple instructions, a book that was obviously aimed at people who dont know the first thing about computers, its almost as if memorex had made it for unqualified people to install.

But it gets better, I am now a quarter of the way into the easter break. I decided to get all my college course work done before the holidays so that I would have plenty of time to my self. Work I normaly leave till the last minute but for once I did it early..... On a computer that was doomed to blow up

So in the space of one day I have:

1. Lost my computer(I am on my dads if you are
wondering)
2. Had to fork out for a new copy of Totsc
3. Lost about an entire weeks worth of work
that I am going to do again (Why did i break
my routine and do it early?!?)
4. Nearly suffered a heart attack from the stress

Its just been one of those days.
Looking on the bright side though I am kind of Intrigued to see what tommorow brings, lol
Old 03-26-2002, 09:42 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Poor Daniel! Man, that's a bummer. It's what I've said all along, computers are perverse.

I do hope tomorrow goes better for you...and that you don't have to work too hard.

P.S. Check the power supply. That may be the problem...if so, it's easily fixable.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 03-26-2002, 09:43 PM   #3
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

I never thought of it being a power problem, thanx
Old 03-26-2002, 09:48 PM   #4
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

ach, tough luck Daniel! that happened with one of my old computers, so i feel your pain. cept for that losing work thing, that's just painful...
Old 03-26-2002, 09:51 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

When I changed my PSU recently I put the FDD connector in the wrong way and... boom!
It was quite good fun actually, fortunately a new FDD only costs £15

Sorry Daniel, that's probably not what you wanted to hear...
Old 03-27-2002, 09:26 AM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I once had a 3.2 GB HD go suicidal on me(I started up my comp and it made the strangest clicking noises and wouldn't load Windows, when I finally managed to get it started the drive was DEAD.), lost me a couple of years worth of essays and a lot of lost savegames.

Bloody annoying, no warning or anything, just suddenly clicks from "living" to "dead".
Old 03-27-2002, 08:57 PM   #7
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Yippee I got it all fixed up today. When the bloody thing exploaded it had somehow cleared all my bios settings, once I found that out it was easy enough to amend
Old 03-27-2002, 09:21 PM   #8
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I can really feel for you (looks over shoulder and see GF engrossed in a book) My GF was reading email and then all of a sudden asked me why there was a big skull and cross bones on my PC and laughter coming out of my speakers. Not happy. Safe mode - MS DOS - C:format.

And smiled the entire time through it at her while explaining that it was from her email and that she had just lost all the safed info on my hard drive...oh the hours wasted on BGII, TOB, IWD and had just bought HoW to continue - sigh. Smiled the entire FREAKING TIME at her...not that I'm bitter... [img]smile.gif[/img]

But hey, that was two months ago and everything is better...*twitch* [img]smile.gif[/img]

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 03-27-2002, 10:35 PM   #9
Blade
Emerald Dragon

well if we are telling comp. horrer stories i have one for you wail installing more ram onto my old comp. power was unpluged, i was grounded ect. i turned on my comp after putting in the new ram, same bit rate and Mhz's and it fried all three of my ram slots got fried it was still under warenty though so it got fixed for free but wail I was waiting i got a new motherbord so i have spare one now
Old 03-28-2002, 08:48 PM   #10
Redblueflare
Galvatron

These remind me of Shane's horror story. His uncle *purchased* an E-Machine, which happens to be a rather unreliable brand of cpu's. Well it was working fine for a while, then it just died. That's right no explanation whatsoever, the cpu just died on him. Wouldn't even turn on!

So he exchanged it for another. It was much better than the last one he'd bought. Of course it was also an E-Machine and died as well. After all that they finally gave him a computer that was about 3 times better than one he started with. Not a bad ending at all!

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...