Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2003, 09:53 AM   #1
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

My CD-ROM has stopped recognizing CD's put into it, I get a message "Please insert a disc into Drive M" whenever I put a CD in and try to run something;& I cannot play any games, etc. Is there any way to fix it, or am I going to need a new one? I have a H-P with 833 MHZ PIII, with 128 meg of RAM. Nothing else is malfunctioning.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Could be a loose IDE connector. Those are the grey ribbon cables if you want to check.

More likely its simply dirt on the lens. CDROM cleaner costs about 5 quid.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:59 AM   #3
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

First try reloading the drivers for it. You probly have some kind of troubleshooting software in your computer, that could help you. I dont know other than that man. Sorry...
Old 03-31-2003, 10:02 AM   #4
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Could be a loose IDE connector. Those are the grey ribbon cables if you want to check.

More likely its simply dirt on the lens. CDROM cleaner costs about 5 quid.
Duh... [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] , why did'nt I think of that. Just clean the darn thing. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] Good call andrewas.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
MagiK

The IDE connector being loose would most likely cause the system to not see the drive at all. This symptom sounds like either a dirty lens or a dead laser. Im betting your best bet is to try cleaning the drive and if that doesnt work....get a new one...fortunatley fairly decent CD-ROMS can be had for as low as $30

Old 03-31-2003, 01:31 PM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

yep.. probably just the lens...

ijust have to share this... hehehe

i had this cd-rom.. i tried cleaning it, no good... anyway so it was just sitting pretty since i bought a new one... bought a new pc and gave the hand-me down to my mum who needs it for typing... tried to see if the cd-rom that was wrecked could be fixed... well... it was running... nothing was wrong... now what's up with that??? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2003, 01:49 PM   #7
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
yep.. probably just the lens...

ijust have to share this... hehehe

i had this cd-rom.. i tried cleaning it, no good... anyway so it was just sitting pretty since i bought a new one... bought a new pc and gave the hand-me down to my mum who needs it for typing... tried to see if the cd-rom that was wrecked could be fixed... well... it was running... nothing was wrong... now what's up with that??? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Maybe it just needed a Mother's touch [img]tongue.gif[/img] Sometimes I think the hardware acts up just to torment us [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2003, 02:26 PM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Thanks, guys, I think that the window-dirty thing may be it. The tray powers in and out just fine, and the light blinks for a while, and then goes out. What is CD-ROM cleaner? Some kind of spray? And, how do you find this lens?
Old 03-31-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
MagiK

You can find CD player cleaners at most music stores, wall mart and target. They are just cd's with little felt pads attached or brushes and some cleaning solution.

Old 03-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Darn, I was just at Wal-Mart last night. Now I'll have to go back. Thanks, MagiK.