Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 04:24 AM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

In view of the acknowledged fact that the US is the world’s biggest producer of greenhouse emissions; and bearing in mind that one of his major arguments against it is the financial cost to the country, what is your opinion of the stance of President Bush and his administration on the Kyoto Protocol?
And anyway, since it is a matter of ‘pay now or watch your grandchildren die later’, does Bush have a leg to stand on?

Let me offer an illustrative example: Your grandchild needs an expensive life-saving treatment that is way beyond the family’s means. What do you do? Let the child die ‘cos you can’t afford the treatment? Or organise the family to do their damndest to scrape the money together, regardless of the personal sacrifices you all have to make?

KEEP IT POLITE, PLEASE!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 07:24 AM   #2
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

Lets just say I have a very low opinion of Dubya: he seems to be very parochial and quite beholden to his fincical backers.

It seems to me that there a number of groups of people in the world at the moment who because they have vested interests in the status quo are prepared to lie, cheat and renage on agreements in order fulfil their selfish desires.

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!
Old 06-15-2001, 08:04 AM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I will post only this reply to the above...I would prefer not to get into politics.
There have been alot of studies and to boil it all down they still are not sure that this rise in temp is not natural. Too many conflicting studies, too many people with agendas running them. When it is all said and done it seems to get down to who you want to believe. In one of the lastest studies they blame the cows.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 08:10 AM   #4
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i have a moderate opinion of Dubya, seeing as how hes a Republican and he graduated from Harvard (i think), even if it was with a C average, and i like him better than Intern Guy that just left. however, i think he should try to clean up the environment. ill not have my future ruined because some fool wouldnt give a serious effort to clean up the companies and the environment! there should be a limit on how much energy californians can use per month, and i dont care if they need all that crap to make them look nice, they shouldnt drive a bigass SUV in an area where there is NO PAVEMENT AT ALL! i personally think that the SUV should be destroyed and the method to build it forgotten for all time. Dubya should say that there is a limit to how many of those can be produced per 10 years (altho im sure thats never gonna happen, cuz all the congressmen and Dubya himself are paid off by the Auto industry and because of the 'free choice' bull crap).

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-15-2001, 09:47 AM   #5
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
In view of the acknowledged fact that the US is the world’s biggest producer of greenhouse emissions; and bearing in mind that one of his major arguments against it is the financial cost to the country, what is your opinion of the stance of President Bush and his administration on the Kyoto Protocol?
And anyway, since it is a matter of ‘pay now or watch your grandchildren die later’, does Bush have a leg to stand on?

Let me offer an illustrative example: Your grandchild needs an expensive life-saving treatment that is way beyond the family’s means. What do you do? Let the child die ‘cos you can’t afford the treatment? Or organise the family to do their damndest to scrape the money together, regardless of the personal sacrifices you all have to make?

It makes me sad.. We need to do more...

PS, anyone else get TOTALLY pissed off when you see someone in front of you flicking a cig-butt out the car window? Makes me wanna crash into them!
And trash on the side of the roads.. it's like people think the world is their DUMPING ground.

"One day this Planet will shake us off like Fleas on a cat"
- (George Carlin)

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-15-2001, 09:51 AM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

It's very difficult for me to say something about Bush which is not inpolite, however, I will say this: IF those six danish people that planned to assasinate Bush had not been discovered and had managed to complete their plan, it is my opinion that it would have helped the world.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:35 AM   #7
Charean
Hathor

F, you ask a good question, and to be honest - it is difficult for me to even THINK about Bush without cussing, hitting things and generally bashing around the room... Having said that, however, I will try to form a lucid reply.

Living in the Washington DC area all my life, and having a Dad who was involved in politics for a while (on the periphery) gave me a pretty good view of what goes on. Yes, there is a lot of favors done by lobbyists to congress. Yes, there are deals made that totally change outcomes when it comes to voting in the House. Right now, it is NOT the politicians running the country but the oil, insurance and other very large interests that do so. They have the money (and yes, tobacco is STILL a major player... even though they seem to be losing favor) and have bought a lot of favors. The Republicans on the Hill are pushing Conservatism for all they are worth - making sure that Business has LOTS of leeway and the Enviornment will suffer for this.

I am also a bit bent that Clinton didn't go for the Kyoto treaty either. I am not sure why unless there was a LOT of money under the table (have to wonder how they bought that million + dollar home on what they declare they are taking in).

I don't believe there is an excuse good enough NOT to sign that treaty, nor do I think that Americans cannot suck in their belt and stop being so wasteful of resources (I went through nasty culture shock moving back here from Europe - much worse than when I went to Europe!) We are a spoiled nation and it would do us good to be a LOT more enviornmentally responsible. I do what I can (I recycle EVERYTHING, watch my energy expenditure and NEVER litter, occasionally picking up after others who do!) but there needs to be more than me and a handful of others to do this.

As far as the grandchild question - we would find the money... whatever it took. Period. Children are paramount.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
And so, in the way of life, one must perservere in the face of adversity (or in this case, the face of a fluffy) and continue on the quest so bring truth, justice and the feng shui way to the world (or at least, make my truck look nice!)
And if you are still reading, I am taking suggestions for my next installment...
Old 06-15-2001, 02:52 PM   #8
Charean
Hathor

*bump* c'mon... this is one time I do NOT want to kill a thread!!
Old 06-15-2001, 03:13 PM   #9
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Interesting replies!
What is even more interesting is the number of people NOT replying! Has everyone suddenly developed ostrich syndrome

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 03:42 PM   #10
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Interesting replies!
What is even more interesting is the number of people NOT replying! Has everyone suddenly developed ostrich syndrome

Just taking time to 'formulate' a reply

The environmental policy of the Bush Administration frightens me. Three instances bring this to the front
1) The refusal to sign and radify the Kyoto Treaty. For him to say that there is not enough scientific evidence to justify the costs is BS! The evidence is quite clear. The emission of 'greenhouse' gases damages the envrionment and raises the global temperature. This is undisputable! Is it the only cause of global warming? NO, but it is ONE of them! Even if the Kyoto treaty isn't signed (for political or whatever reasons) the US government should regulate and lower greenhouse gases b/c it is the best in the longrun for the overall health of the country and its citizens
2) Drilling in Alaska....this is really an entirely different topic of debate. But, there are so few 'natural' areas left in our country (not to mention the fact of the caribou breeding grounds that would be disrupted) that we should be doing everything we can to preserve these areas, not destroy them! Would we destroy a city if we found oil underneath it?
3) The push for more nuclear energy. I am all for nuclear energy, b/c I do think it is safe and relatively clean compared to the use of natural resources. However, I think the big push should be for renewable energy. The push for nuclear energy is again a short-term solution to a long-term problem!

I will have more to say later

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?