Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-27-2004, 05:24 AM   #1
Knightscape
Manshoon

Just read an article in PC Gamer about BG3. Sorry but I could not find any links, but here are some highlights of the article.

-Not a direct sequel to BG1 and BG2
-will be using new 3D graphics instead of the Infinity engine
-"You want to see the fear in an orc's eye as you blast him with a fireball,
don't you?" -Atari Executive producer John Hight-
-set in early days of Baldurs Gate
-will use D&D 3.5 rules
-still deciding between real tiem and turn base combat
-party based with henchmen
Old 08-27-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

If you look in the Misc. Games section you can see that this has been brought up already, Ill assume one of the mods will move this there.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:48 AM   #3
Knightscape
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
If you look in the Misc. Games section you can see that this has been brought up already, Ill assume one of the mods will move this there.
Actually I did look and this is not the Interplay Baldurs Gate 3 but Atari's Baldurs Gate 3. According to the article there was a BG3 in development by Interplay but now appears dead.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Sorry, it might have been in General discussion, but I remember this coming up.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

To me, BG3 news are a little like Elvis sighting news we hear sometimes...

Atari suck, if they ever do make BG3 and it's done by Atari, it will probably suck.

Personally, I don't care if a game is real time or turn based, as long as I can pause the game to give commands.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

If it's not Infinity engine based it's not BG... good luck Atari but I'm sceptical...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
Knightscape
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
To me, BG3 news are a little like Elvis sighting news we hear sometimes...

Atari suck, if they ever do make BG3 and it's done by Atari, it will probably suck.

Personally, I don't care if a game is real time or turn based, as long as I can pause the game to give commands.
The article was in PC Gamer magazine (news-stand) page 76 if you can find a copy and to quote from the article
"It's alive! We get the very early word on the RPG sequel that almost wasn't."

The Developer and Release Date are yet to be announced with Atari being the publisher.

Totally agree with you on Atari, but it looks like all games in the near future from the D&D world will be going through Atari, since they are the current liscence holders.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Knightscape:
-set in early days of Baldurs Gate
Does that mean it will have about 3 magical items in the whole game? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

(back in BG1)
"WOW! A +2 sword! AND a point of cold damage!?! It's even got a unique description!"
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:51 PM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

it could be with gorion and his time in candlekeep. that would be interesting indeed. another would be during the time of troubles where gods walked as mortals.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:54 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Knightscape:
The article was in PC Gamer magazine (news-stand) page 76 if you can find a copy and to quote from the article
"It's alive! We get the very early word on the RPG sequel that almost wasn't."

The Developer and Release Date are yet to be announced with Atari being the publisher.

A long time ago, EBgames and Amazon had a release date for a Baldur's Gate 3 that didn't exist...

It also wouldn't be the first time a magizine announce something that does not come out.

In my opinion, if it does come out, it's just going to be an attempt to get some more money out of the franchise. I'm expexting a product with the quality and polish that Lionheart had.

If it's going to really be set in the begining of Baldur's Gate (does they mean the begining of the city, or the bhaalspawn saga) and it,s not related to the first two games, then it's probably going to have a sucky story with only the city it's happening aroung to justify the title.

As you can see, I don't expect much out of it. But I feel it's like Star Wars and the new movies.

What can you expect of a game, when the developers say the story is over, and then for no reason the new liscence holder decide to make a new one, with new devs?