Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
Ultra Marine
The Magister

In hand to hand melee assuming everybody is using single hand weapon, I can’t figure out how the AI decides who it attacks. I’ve encountered situations where I make the paladin attack a mummy first. Then a F/M joins in and a C/R joins in. That mummy switches from attacking paladin to F/M. Why is that?

During ranged weapons, its different. I make a F/M take the lead with spells of course and all the rest of the party behind him. All the enemy fire is concentrated on the F/M. This make more sense.

So why the double standards?
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
ister
Drow Warrior

Different opponents have different scripts. Some of the scipts have the creature attack whoever hit it last, some cause it to switch targets so that it tries to get to the back lines. For instance, in BG the gnoll scipt gets them to go after your back liners all the time.

I'm not sure why the missile scripts don't do this some times too. I disagree that it makes more sense for the enemies to always target the closest party member (although it seems that they do) - different enemies should use different tactics to keep you on your toes. I think your right that the missile scripts always attack the closest party member. I wish it weren't always so.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Dave G
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always had a feeling that many enemies attack the weakest character attacking them. I've noticed that if I have a Paladin, a Ranger, and a Rogue run up and hack at some guy, he'll start attacking the rogue, even if the Paladin struck first and the Ranger struck last.

I kind of wish AI was based on INT, including player characters! That would give everyone a reason not to drop INT to it's lowest value. Who wants a fighter who, after killing a foe, runs off and attacks a rock?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

I think the AI targets the lowest AC or HP...I'm not sure which.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

There is no definite answer, as all scripts are different in their ways. Different hostiles have different AI scripts.

Some choose to attack the nearest, others the weakest, others still, the nearest enemy Mage, and etc... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

... while some scripts choose to heal nearest enemy. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
wanderon
Dungeon Master

I suspect it all depends on the mood of the scripter when he coded the AI of each one. I can just picture them kabitzing about it while "talking shop" at the end of the day.

Dev 1- I scripted 2 gargoyles in the _____ fight to target the nearest divine caster with a hold spell with a DC of 85... (giggles)

Dev 2- yeah remember that odd goblin we added to the ________ fight? Well get this - I scripted the little bastard to go invisible and sneak up on the lowest AC arcane caster and tie his shoelaces together resulting in a -6 AC drop just before he sticks him with the gobby blade of amnesia that wipes any memorized spells clean and then replaces whatever he resets the slots for with random choices the next time he rests. (gulps a beer) I'm not sure it will sneak by to the final version tho...

dev 3 - snores...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Somehow, I wouldn't doubt that happening!

Quote:
... while some scripts choose to heal nearest enemy.
Ah, Temple of the Forgotten god, and the elven ruins. Quite helpful, to be honest.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote