Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Francois
Welcomed New User

Hello everyone! im new to the forum

im doing TotLM and i m in the caves of the stones, at the harpy area, problem is, no more bullet, no more arrows, inventory full, no vendor, cant go back, entrance blocked...stuck...help

well, you all understand what my problem is, and i hope there is a solution other then... game over. really if there nothing i can do i will be realy disapointed.

Francois
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Bonjour Francois, bienvenue a Ironworks. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

There is always the reload solution - you should have an autosave from the start of the level if you don't have a recently saved game.

Could you give a little more detail about your problem? I'm unsure whether you are being killed by the harpies or whether you don't know how to get to the next map.

If the problem is harpies, you will need spells and/or effects that protect against fear. Summons and disabling spells (e.g. Slow, Web) will help here as well. Use all protective spells you can muster, especially Protection from Fire and spells that increase your saves.

If the problem is that you don't know how to complete the level, you need to collect the flawed gems from each altar, transform them into flawless gems in the Chest of Seasons, and place them in the right order to activate the portal on level 4. Azred put together a little guide to the logistics of it right here.

In terms of inventory management, leave some of your least useful loot in a nearby chest. Remember which one, and return for it after you have collected the flawless gems.

If your main problem is the harpy fight, post your party here and we'll help you come up with a strategy.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Also, if we knew what sorts of characters you have in your party and a general idea of what equipment you are carrying we could make a few suggestions.

[img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] Which entrance is being blocked? What is blocking it? A creature, or is it an exit that is no longer usable?

Welcome to the Forum, Francois! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

If the problem is fighting Harpies, I believe you can be protected from their effects with a bard song. If you have a bard make him sing the song which protects from sound effects (Sirens' Yearning?). If this one won't work try the one which protects from fear (forgot its name). I'm not sure which is the one that protects from Harpy effects but one should do it.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
Francois
Welcomed New User

thanks a lot for the replies!

yes, the problem was killing the harpies, i played a bit more after, and i was able to kill them, hehe, here's what i did:

before zoning in i casted on my party:
haste
prayer
recitation
righteous wrath of the faithfull
emotion:hope
i have no idea if they stack, please tell me,lol

i had my ranger and warrior (in the blue circle) kill all the ones in the upper area. my druid, mage and cleric to summoned everything they could in the red circle. then my mage and druid to cast AoE spells right on the red X on the picture with the sommuned stuff blocking the way.

when my ranger and my warrior was giving the last swing with their sword to finish the last harpy in the upper area, the last sommoned thing still alive in the red circle was dying, LOL, i had just enough time to run my ranger/warrior there to protect the rest of the group and kill the others harpies a lot weaken with my AoE spells.

But, that fight was nothing compared to the fight i was going to face next: the jackals...i must say that was a hard fight...i did reload at least 7 times, spending approximately 20 minutes each fight. i did pretty much the same thing that i did with the harpies except i casted protection from evil as well... Im sure i did a lot of thing wrong, or i could have done a few other things better, please let me know!

here is my party (and some of my items for Azred)
warrior, the celebrants blade (axe), vexed armor, AC -7
ranger, long sword of action +4, fire fail +3 (love it) cloak of scintillating colors AC -5
cleric black swam armor, sanctified warhammr +3, AC -3
mage, Edions ring of wizardry, kontik ring of wizardry, robe of the watcher, cyclone (like the style, hehe) AC -5
rogue Studded leather +4 shadowed, gauntlet of weapon expertise, ring of shadows AC -1
druid Black dragon scale AC 3
(as you can see, i dont have a bard ZFR, hehe)

my warrior could have AC -10 with cloak of scintillating colors but i decided to give it to my ranger, who can off tank if we get overwhelmed.

Aerich, unfortunately i dont have a saved game before i entered the area, because its way back when the luremaster tells you:"you are not getting out of here" and the gate closes behind your party. to make a long story short i dont like to have to many saved games because i lost track of all i did and such. i only have 3 saved game, auto save, pre luremaster and luremaster.

To leave items in empty chests is a really good idea though.

i guess my worst problem is i dont know all the spells by heart...and dont know what spell to use in certain situation. Im the kind to say something like that:hey! there is a spell for that?!?

thanks for the help

Francois

[ 02-10-2006, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Francois ]
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Good stuff.

All those spells do stack, giving you about +6 to saves and a similar boost to attack and damage. Did you also use Protection from Fire and an anti-fear spell, or did you manage without those?

Yes, the jackals are a tough fight too - I actually used Mass Invisibility for the first time in that fight when I went through on Insane, so I could set up in a corner before starting to fight. I was getting whipped that bad... [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

I was talking about the autosave. It triggers every time you go to the next level, so you would have had to re-fight all the fights on lvl 5. However, if you were out of spells and needed to rest, and/or there was some technical difficulty, the autosave would be there to save the day.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:26 AM   #7
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Welcome ... IWD is nice isn't it. The people here is very warm too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Try concentrating defence items to 1 warrior class and have him in front. Without buff, a ranger can reach AC -15 or more.

Run out of ammo? Not to worry. There are 2 axe of returning by the time you reach there.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Francois:
(as you can see, i dont have a bard ZFR, hehe)

Glad you made it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

No bard? You don't know what you're missing! [img]tongue.gif[/img] You should really try one next game. Put one in place of thief and have the thief combined with another class (fighter/thief, cleric/thief, mage/thief) instead.

Anyway, welcome to Ironworks and good luck with the rest of your game.