Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

And maybe a violin
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Marine:
I have HoW. But I have not got warchant. Just started dragons eye. It just makes me think about the usefulneess of a bard.

Maybe a bard is suited to be added to a party at higher levels of the game where she can advance real fast. Now, she is just soaking up exp from the rest of the party members.

Well ... This is my first bard [img]smile.gif[/img] ...
Ultra Marine,

I see lots of good advice from Aerich. Let me add a bit:

A Bard is most effective, when added to a party heavy on fighters / melee-types: If your style and skill can keep you from physical contact with the enemy, then a Bard is a little less appealing. However, if you have at least 3 solid warriors in your party, then the Bard is almost a "must have."

When not casting a spell, your Bard should be singing SOMETHING, not flinging arrows or whatever. Use your weapon and ammo slots to carry backup weapons and ammo for OTHER party members.

Your Bard is sort of a test of faith, because if you use her correctly, you will seldom *see* her doing anything. However, the sum of the bard's effects on the party can (and should) be powerful. Besides counting as a "half mage" in the early game, and **at least** 3/4 of a mage in the expansions, she can sing War Chant.

Now Aerich just cautioned you to not get hung up on that song; and he is right: the other songs are very helpful, and at times are a better choice. But make no mistake: War Chant is what makes the Bard so-o-o-o-o special. This song, available only, if HoW is installed, should be your mainstay. In addition to the armor and resistance bonuses, this song heals your party, allowing your party to enter every fight at full health, freeing up the Cleric to load up on spells other than healing, and eliminating the need to rest because of low health.

At the higher levels, the Bard is also very useful as a target. Yes, just have her cast Stoneskin, Blur and Mirror Image on herself; and let the enemy beat on her, while she sings War Chant. The rest of your party can beat on the enemy while they beat on the Bard.

And don't forget the very expensive but very "worth it" toy that can be bought for the Bard in Kuldahar: Makes several otherwise tough battles in VoS and DE a breeze, and is very useful even in the late game and expansions.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 01-27-2006, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I wonder... if you, say, had a party with 2 warriors, a fighter/mage, and three bards, would the songs effects stack? I mean, if you had all three sing Tymora's Melody, or War Chant of the Sith.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't think so. The effects might "stack" if they were singing different songs.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrvias:
I wonder... if you, say, had a party with 2 warriors, a fighter/mage, and three bards, would the songs effects stack? I mean, if you had all three sing Tymora's Melody, or War Chant of the Sith.
Agreed with Aerich: I would be surprised if three identical songs stacked, and surprised if three different songs did not stack.

BTW - with 3 bards in the party, Mage is prety well covered. If one were to do this (not necessarily my recommendation) I'd make the F/M a F/C.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #16
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I was just wondering, not recomending
Old 01-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #17
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I've been playing the bard for some time now. Good advise above. All of them as good as said.

I might like to add that she is my main mage. Her spells are more effective than my dc f/m. If I start another game, no more dc f/m for me. Bard is good enough to replace a mage as I didn't find lvl8&9 mage spells much good in insane. In fact, lvl7 spells isn't that great except for that mass invisibility spell that help get out of trouble.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #18
Dave G
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've never played with a bard in my party (I avoid them like the plauge in every RPG). But I was considering going through HoF with Bard-something else dual. What class would dual well with bard and how many levels of bard are advisable to take?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:21 AM   #19
Aerich
Lord Ao

Sorry, bards cannot dualclass or multiclass in IWD1. If you create a bard, you have a bard all the way.

Still, it's not a bad idea to have a bard in HoF, if you can get over the mental block of not gaining any levels with it after Burial Isle.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:31 AM   #20
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Same here dave. I never played bard in any RPG until now. In fact, I won't mind dropping a mage for a bard considering lvl8/9 mage spells are not so great in this game in particular.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote