Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Having recently (and, might I add, repeatedly) completed the final battle. I have a few queries....
\/
\/
\/
Warning: Points 2 and 5 below contain major spoilers that you WONT want to read if you havent completed IWD:
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
1) I was messing about a bit and went back to the entrance to the ice tower, where Everard is. Just to see what would happen, I killed him then entered the final battle, the scene playes out exactly the same except that Everard never enters the room, therefore the portal is left open! The end-sequence still plays though.

2) What if you were to kill Pomab at the start of the game?

3) What does the final boss drop? I take it these items are unnatainable as there is no way to enter the room and pickpocket without starting a fight.

4) Ive heard of a Paladin-specific sword allegedly the best sword on the game, as I dont have a paladin this doesnt really matter but I would like to know what this sword is and how to get it.

5) So the narrator all the way through was the bad guy?...damn.

[ 10-27-2004, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Soothsayer ]
Old 10-24-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
Calagari
Manshoon

I tried to PM you about this post. I wish you had labelled it spoilers first. Some of us have not gone this far into the game yet.
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:59 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Calagari:
I tried to PM you about this post. I wish you had labelled it spoilers first. Some of us have not gone this far into the game yet.
Wellllll,,, the title of the post DOES say "final battle". The first sentence and the first question don't reveal much. But,,,,just maybe,, you shouldn't have opened it just because it sez "final battle".

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:35 AM   #4
Calagari
Manshoon

The subject could be any question not revealing any specifics of the game ending.

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane:
quote:
Originally posted by Calagari:
Wellllll,,, the title of the post DOES say "final battle". The first sentence and the first question don't reveal much. But,,,,just maybe,, you shouldn't have opened it just because it sez "final battle". [/QUOTE]
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Yeah, sorry about that....
I did assume any post asking about the final battle would have been fairly obviously containing spoilers.
Edited appropriately.

[ 10-25-2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Soothsayer ]
Old 10-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Answers...

2) If you kill Pomab whole town becomes hostile and you siply cannot complete the game.

3) AFAIK he actually drops nothing.

4) The sword is called pale justice. Long sword +4, +7 vs evil, immunity to cloack of fear, horror, dire charm, symbol of hopelessness, only usable by paladins. It is found in the courtyard outside malavon's lair. In the north west on the floor in a kind of passage inside the buildings, next to the body of a fallen warrior (paladin I suppose). Unlike most magical weapons it has no special apperance; it looks like a normal longsword thats why its possible after picking it up you simply left it without realizing it's magic.

5) Oh yes. So it would seem [img]graemlins/hairfreak.gif[/img] .

And Welcome to Ironworks!

[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

[ 10-25-2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 10-25-2004, 07:27 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Soothsayer,

I would say you did an excellent job of labeling your title for spoilers. Still, I was not prepared to read bullet 5. (This is not a spoiler for me; but I can see how someone looking for hints to beat the final battle might get a lot more than what he was looking for.) I would classify bullet 5 as a major and unprotected game spoiler. Maybe you could delete it, or water it down and precede it with a label like:

Major END GAME spoiler:

~

~

~

(Your watered down spoiler here.)

~

EDIT: Excellent response, in your edits above, Soothsayer.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-27-2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:03 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

Too add a bit more on question #4:

Spoiler

In Malevon's area, go to the top left of the map (northwest, as said before). iirc, you have to walk past a building - and umber hulks bust through and attack. There's a corpse in the passageway (very easy to overlook) that is carrying Pale Justice. If you have HoW, you can use the Alt key to highlight things on the ground and in chests, etc.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:57 AM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Soothsayer,

I would say you did an excellent job of labeling your title for spoilers. Still, I was not prepared to read bullet 5. (This is not a spoiler for me; but I can see how someone looking for hints to beat the final battle might get a lot more than what he was looking for.)
Hmmm, I don't get this. In what way is knowing the the narrator voice actor is used in multiple roles a spoiler? I also noticed this, but assume it was for economic reasons. Although it would have been nice if the actor had a more versatile voice.

[ 10-26-2004, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: ElfBane ]

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

Major END GAME spoiler:

~

~

~

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane:
Hmmm, I don't get this. In what way is knowing ... a spoiler? I also noticed this, but assume it was for economic reasons. Although it would have been nice if ...
Elfbane,

The voice is NOT used in multiple roles. Armed with this info, it shouldn't take too long for you to figure out how #5 (as well as your last post) is a MAJOR END GAME SPOILER.

~

~ END SPOILER

~

~

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote