Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

This is a (hopefully long-running) thread *about ice hockey* dedicated entirely to the World Cup of Hockey and those fanatics among us that want hockey 24/7.

The offical WCH website is http://wch2004.com/

Exhibitions started this week. Sweden beat Slovakia 2-0 yesterday. Two Swedish Canucks (Naslund, D. Sedin) scored the goals.

Germany tied Russia 3-3. Germany - Goc (2), Erhoff. Russia - Samsonov, Afanasenkov, Frolov.

Anybody know if today's Canada-USA exhibition game is televised? I would dearly love to get a hockey fix, even though Mario is sitting it out.

Edit: My apologies for the confusion.

[ 08-23-2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Lol, dropped into this thread thinking this was about field hockey so I'll go right now [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway I'm a field hockey goaly and I was wondering if ice hockey is just as warm as when I wear full protection. Anyone knows?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Aerich, I could be wrong but I get the feeling team Canada will dominate the World Cup in this tournament as it as a solid team.

The other teams including the US as way to many weaknesses to compete with the team.

Team US has old forwards, young inexperienced goalie. This formula is wrong as it is better to have old experienced goalie, and young legs with lots of skill and speed on the front lines.

I believe Canada will blow the competition away but there may be some good games and even matchups among the other teams.

[ 08-23-2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 08-23-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Which hockey?

Would be good to delineate on an international board, as "hockey" to many of us is "field hockey" to you, while "hockey" to you, is "ice hocey" to us.

Clarity is a good thing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-23-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Which hockey?

Would be good to delineate on an international board, as "hockey" to many of us is "field hockey" to you, while "hockey" to you, is "ice hocey" to us.

Clarity is a good thing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Is there a World Cup of Field Hockey taking place the same time as the World Cup of (Ice) Hockey? Aerich just mention the title as it is advertised in the News and media and they go by the title that the organizers named the tournment. I am sure he is sorry for the confusion but there is no one to blame but bad media and organizers who don't know the difference between a field for field hockey and a golf course.

[ 08-23-2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 08-23-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

I just recently saw on a sports channel that their WCH coverage starts on Aug 30. Meaning that no exhibition games will be shown on Rogers Sportsnet. Not sure about TSN.

Edit: I may have my channels crossed, come to think of it. It was showing Olympics, so it could have been CBC. I'll check my listings as soon as I get home.

[ 08-23-2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 08-23-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Just popped by to tell Yorick his pm box is full!
Old 08-24-2004, 02:57 AM   #8
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Is there a World Cup of Field Hockey taking place the same time as the World Cup of (Ice) Hockey? Aerich just mention the title as it is advertised in the News and media and they go by the title that the organizers named the tournment. I am sure he is sorry for the confusion but there is no one to blame but bad media and organizers who don't know the difference between a field for field hockey and a golf course.
The other is field hockey at the Olympics.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #9
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Team US has old forwards, young inexperienced goalie. This formula is wrong as it is better to have old experienced goalie, and young legs with lots of skill and speed on the front lines.

I believe Canada will blow the competition away but there may be some good games and even matchups among the other teams.
Do you mean Conklin or DiPietro? Neither are that inexperienced, for the States.

We should blow the competition away, but you never know. I, personally, think it'll be a battle between Canada and Sweden.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:07 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, we start slow again. 3-1 loss to Team USA in our first exhibition game. Apparently got the early lead then sat back. Kudos to the US for a strong forecheck.

I'm seeing parallels to Salt Lake. Lost the first game to a good forechecking team, which served as a wakeup call. The D is a little younger this year (loss of Blake and Pronger is huge), so other teams may have a better chance to force turnovers.

On the good side, Brodeur was sharp, stopping 18/18 shots in the 30 minutes he played. And Mario sat out, as did St Louis and Richards.