Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2003, 04:46 PM   #161
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Well said Mel ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The etymology of the word "theology" comes from ancient Greek : "theos" = god, and "logos" = talking. Basically what theologists do is talking about god(s). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Logos I believe, refers to the written word Moiraine. It is the "root word for LOGIC" as well. "Rhema" is the spoken word of speech. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]No Yorick, from my ancient Greek studies in high school, "logos" means litterally "discourse". [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #162
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Well said Mel ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The etymology of the word "theology" comes from ancient Greek : "theos" = god, and "logos" = talking. Basically what theologists do is talking about god(s). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Logos I believe, refers to the written word Moiraine. It is the "root word for LOGIC" as well. "Rhema" is the spoken word of speech. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]No Yorick, from my ancient Greek studies in high school, "logos" means litterally "discourse". [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]λόγος ο = word thought
logos o

---------------------

THE WORD
“Logos & Rhema”

LOGOS:
The universal
quickened Word

3056 - something said (including the thought); subject (topic) of discourse; reasoning (the mental faculties); motive.
THE DIVINE EXPRESSION
3004 - lego (leg’-o) to lay forth: relate in words usually in systematic or set discourse.

RHEMA:
The Individual
Spoken Word

487 - An Utterance

INDIVIDUAL: Intended for one person (a particular, not a class)
PERSONAL: private, as to motive, conduct, behavior
SPECIFIC: precise, explicit, esp. of narration, command or dispute.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-28-2003, 05:18 PM   #163
Moiraine
Anubis

LOL This thread is getting too much brain-scattering for me at this late hour ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I give up ! [img]smile.gif[/img] Good night and have fun. And don't forget to smile !
Old 01-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #164
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
LOL This thread is getting too much brain-scattering for me at this late hour ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I give up ! [img]smile.gif[/img] Good night and have fun. And don't forget to smile !
[img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-28-2003, 05:29 PM   #165
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Barry, I didn't use the words "empirically proven" I said "logically concluded through empirical assessment".

Edit: Actually I did earlier in the post.

THe point I was making is that IF hypothetically a question was found that 100% of every human ever asked was found to be the same answer, then a logical conclusion based on empirical assessment can be drawn.
I mean of course the only thing truly absolutely provable is that one is aware, but outside that there are relative assumptions that can be made. Such as Timbers own unproven conclusion that at least one wacky kook would asnwer "no". That is of course speculation at this point, however logical it may be.

Are we sick of this yet?? [img]tongue.gif[/img] I think we've gone so far up our ar$es we've come out our mouths again.
Well, I read the first bit and was about to point out that you had, but then I realised you got there first...

And no, my point is that even if every person said yes emphatically then it would still not be proven. You have merely shown it likely. Unless you can show that it is impossible for a human to exist who would say "no" then it cannot be proven empirically. You have to actually show that in all cases, not just in all cases that currently exist, the same answer would be given. Its a tall order, thats why the word proof tends to get pounced on quite a lot.

Basically my point is that the question is not whether or not someone does say no, but whether or not someone could say no. Which obviously means you can't "prove" anything along these lines just by talking to people. Or, in fact, at all, many people would say. Me among them. But then again, its only an opinion.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe