Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2001, 03:30 PM   #1
G'kar

I like the pic for this rank! Is this spam? Should I include a brief discourse on the origin of cheese in order to give this post more depth? Nah, how bout a physics question....

Heres a question I heard from a physics person:
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

Are such things or events even possible? Hmmm alot of thinking. My first answer is that they would become one another. Its the answer that sprang to mind. I have nothing to back it up, yet. Anyhoo Any thoughts?

Old 10-19-2001, 03:36 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well, possibly the unstoppable object changes it's course, or possibly it releases so much energy that the entire universe is annihilated, maybe the unstoppable force continues THROUGH the immovable object without changing it, possibly they melt together, possibly the entire Earth will be transformed into banana pudding, if we're talking possibly, ANYTHING could happen, some things are just VERY unlikely, possibly I should stop talking and get more than 4 hours of sleep tonight, yes, that does seem like something very probable, but I won't, because IW is just too damn addictive, I will, however, stop talking.
Old 10-19-2001, 04:23 PM   #3
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Can you say "deflection?"

This is a simple question and can be analogized through any number of examples. Say the unstoppable force is a cue ball on a pool table. The cue ball can be hit into the side (our immovable object) What happens in this instance is that the unstoppable force is deflected in a different direction, thereby retaining it's "unstoppable" nature.

Just my 0.02

"*SIGH* Logic can be taken too far, you know! I could be an unstoppable force, but lack the dedication required to keep at it!"

------------------

Old 10-19-2001, 04:27 PM   #4
DiabloRex
Elminster

This is like the question "Would like light of car that drives faster than the light, be in front of the car, or behind the car?

On the other hand Dawnchaser do have a good answer to your Q
Old 10-19-2001, 04:44 PM   #5
Legolas the Elven Archer

I think there are neither unstoppable forces nor immobile objects, so hte question wouldn't be 'valid'
But, I can help you on the other one. If you want to stay an Elminster, don't spam anymore
I couldn't stop posting and now I've lost my Elminster pic to a bunch of purple stars

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-19-2001, 05:53 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

first you must know position is relative, there is no such thing as immovable. so I think you meant indestructable.

second, I am going to discuss the possibility of such event.

the force is either able to destroy the object, or not able to. if it is the first case, then the object is not really indestructable. if it is the second case, then the force is not really unstopable.

therefore, you can never put the two together.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:03 PM   #7
Legolas the Elven Archer

From what I've picked up in physics class, a force can change the shape of an object temporarily or permanently. So an object doesn't have to be destroyed by a force, only be dented temporarily. If the object is immovable, however, you cannot alter it's shape with any force no matter how big. So, no energy is spent on moving the object and all the force is redirected, except for the force lost on fricture (if that's the english term) but since the force is infinately large, that wouldn't have any effect on the force at all. Now there's another rule that says something like the angle at wich something hits the object is also the angle at wich it leaves the object. So, should the obect be a sphere, the force would go back to where it came from... I guess. Like I said before, it's unlikely that this could occur...

------------------

Old 10-19-2001, 06:05 PM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Well, possibly the unstoppable object changes it's course, or possibly it releases so much energy that the entire universe is annihilated, maybe the unstoppable force continues THROUGH the immovable object without changing it, possibly they melt together, possibly the entire Earth will be transformed into banana pudding, if we're talking possibly, ANYTHING could happen, some things are just VERY unlikely, possibly I should stop talking and get more than 4 hours of sleep tonight, yes, that does seem like something very probable, but I won't, because IW is just too damn addictive, I will, however, stop talking.
The old immovable object-unstoppable force scenario is just meant to prove one thing. There are no absolutes in the physical universe. There is no such thing as nothing or everything.(ie absolute zero or infinity)(absolutely unstoppable or absolutely immovable)

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

[This message has been edited by Sir Kenyth (edited 10-19-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 06:08 PM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
From what I've picked up in physics class, a force can change the shape of an object temporarily or permanently. So an object doesn't have to be destroyed by a force, only be dented temporarily. If the object is immovable, however, you cannot alter it's shape with any force no matter how big. So, no energy is spent on moving the object and all the force is redirected, except for the force lost on fricture (if that's the english term) but since the force is infinately large, that wouldn't have any effect on the force at all. Now there's another rule that says something like the angle at wich something hits the object is also the angle at wich it leaves the object. So, should the obect be a sphere, the force would go back to where it came from... I guess. Like I said before, it's unlikely that this could occur...

you can not discuss two made-up objects with physical rules. because they are beyond the bonds of this physical world. what is infinite? our rules cannot apply to such things. we cannot even look at the cause-effect, they maybe able to do some bizzare things completely out of our comprehesion, say the object maybe able to speak spanish (weird? nope)... who knows, so even my own comments is not accurate

we cannot pretend to understand something we dont understand
Old 10-19-2001, 06:11 PM   #10
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
we cannot pretend to understand something we dont understand
Now THAT's wisdom. 250, you are SO mature

------------------