Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly before I get started. Any suggestions for additional mods is welcome, but LMK where they go in order.

1)Official Patch
2)BG2 Fixpack Beta
3)Berserker Minsc
4)Banter Pack
5)Dungeon Bg Gone
6)BG2_Tweaks-v3

TIA.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Imrahil
Elminster

That order will work fine. As for other MOD's to add, consider it more like this...

1)Official Patch
2)BG2 Fixpack Beta

3-X) Berserker Minsc
3-X) Banter Pack
3-X) Dungeon Be Gone
3-X) Other MOD's

X+1)BG2_Tweaks-v3

That's your best (generic) order. Patch first, FixPack (whether Baldurdash or G3, but whichever you're referring to, just use one) next. Then quest/banter/NPC MOD's, then finally the Tweaks (last so they affect your previous MOD's).

The only MOD I'd recommend to install after the Tweaks is Virtue, if you're interested in it. BTW, I'd also highly recommend installing Unfinished Business & the Quest Pack, as well as, right before BG2_Tweaks, D0Tweaks, but that's just my opinion.

If you're considering NPC MOD's to install (which should go in the 3-X bunch above), you can always look here for some recommendations & here for download links.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
SirWillow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Coming back to the game again after a couple of years away, and starting to read up on all of the fixes, mods, and other things that have taken place that I haven't tried.

Being the paranoic that I am, I'm wondering how many of these mods, fixpacs, and other things that I should install or consider, and what the chances are that they might break the game at some point that I'm not expecting. What I've picked up so far, I should definitly do the following:

1. Official patch
2. BG2 Fixpack Beta
3. BG2 Tweaks

As for the other mods, I'm reading about a couple of others that seem to be popular, but reading the fixpack notes, there may be a couple of incompatibilities also. So what I'm wondering is, are there other mods out there that I should definitly look at, "must haves", that aren't going to cause other bugs, lockups, or problems- especially on the original part of the game?

OH, and silly question- any way to get the bonus items without the bonus cd? I used to have it long ago, but that copy of the game is long since lost and I'm having to use a new copy of the game I just bought.

[ 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: SirWillow ]
Old 01-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SirWillow:
OH, and silly question- any way to get the bonus items without the bonus cd? I used to have it long ago, but that copy of the game is long since lost and I'm having to use a new copy of the game I just bought.
'ease-of-use' mod has the bonus merchants

http://www.weidu.org/ease.html

(although that link says ease-of-use had been incorporated into BG2 tweaks . . .)
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by SirWillow:
Coming back to the game again after a couple of years away, and starting to read up on all of the fixes, mods, and other things that have taken place that I haven't tried.

Being the paranoic that I am, I'm wondering how many of these mods, fixpacs, and other things that I should install or consider, and what the chances are that they might break the game at some point that I'm not expecting. What I've picked up so far, I should definitly do the following:

1. Official patch
2. BG2 Fixpack Beta
3. BG2 Tweaks

As for the other mods, I'm reading about a couple of others that seem to be popular, but reading the fixpack notes, there may be a couple of incompatibilities also. So what I'm wondering is, are there other mods out there that I should definitly look at, "must haves", that aren't going to cause other bugs, lockups, or problems- especially on the original part of the game?

Well.....#2 does say it's a Beta, so it may be buggy. Other than that, go with BG2 Unfinished Business. It ties up the loose ends and broken/abandoned quests you didn't/couldn't do the first time thru.
A good rule of thumb when choosing Mods,,,,pick ones that are in v3 or higher..usually by then all the *game stoppers*(if any) have been fixed.

Now for standard rant:
Rant ON-- I would avoid any mods that make the game MORE difficult. If you have ToB installed, then, IMO, the ending is VERY much difficult enough. Rant OFF.

Also, I would avoid the "unlimited strongholds" component. If you accept every stronghold available,,you will be a micro-managing FOOL. Especially the Thief and Bard strongholds.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
SirWillow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, installation and everything went well, until I got to the tweaks mod. For some reason, right after it starts up, as it goes into the DOS box, it crashes out. Doesn't actually install anything. It uncompresses, opens the DOS box, shows about 10 lines of dialog. then boom, nothing, it's gone.

Tried redownloading it from a couple of different places, same problem. Tried running it under 98/SE and 95 emulation, same problem. Just can't seem to get it to go. Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Try installing like this...
1. Official Patch
2. BG2 Tweaks
...and see how it goes. In other words, don't install the BG2 Fixpack Beta.
Also, give us a mod install order.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
SirWillow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Followed the recommended installation order above.

BGII (including TOB)
Official Patch
Fixpack
Unfinished Business
then tried Tweaks.

Tried several different ways of installing Tweaks, and just can't get it to go. It uncompresses fine, puts in all the directories and subdirectories. But the batch file that actually installs it and each of the sub parts crashes out. Tried it from the .exe. Tried it after uncompressing it manually with WinRAR. Tried running the setup batch that it uncompresses into the BGII folder. So I've tried all the methods that it recommends. Not sure why it won't run it.

EDIT- Got it. Apparently the WeiDu needs to update itself sometimes. Picked that up from their forums. then after extraction I was trying to run the wrong setup program. Got it working and installed right. Thanks for the help though!

[ 01-23-2007, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: SirWillow ]
Old 02-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
hickfam
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am having the same problem. Where did you go to find the answer?
hickfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
CamDawg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If WeiDU self-updates, then you have to go to your BG2 folder and run setup-foo.exe instead of trying to unpack the mod again. (In the case of Tweaks, setup-foo.exe is actually setup-bg2_tweaks.exe). Though it can sometimes go by too fast to notice, a DOS box that closes very quickly is usually indicative of this issue.

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.
CamDawg is offline   Reply With Quote