Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I read in a dog magazine that dobermans are the best if there are children in the house, because they are really loving to the kids. Dobermans get a bad rep. from trainers that train them for killing and stuff, but the article said that dobermans are very loving and friendly. If I had a dog, and wanted my kids protected...that is what I would get. They are also extremely smart.
They are also extremely dominant, and have a good sense wheter you, as it's boss, are in complete control. If not, if they sense any signs of fear, you are no longer boss in your own house, and the dog will never show you any respect. If you decide to buy a Dobermann, be sure you know what you're doing.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:18 AM   #12
Arvon
Unicorn

Take a look at the Keeshond.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 04-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #13
Svaerdhelgon
The Magister

Boxers are the best.
Can be very demanding but are extremely loyal and goodhearted
Though perhaps a bit big.

[ 04-18-2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Svaerdhelgon ]
Old 04-18-2004, 11:08 AM   #14
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Here

Don't get a pitbull, contrary to what people say they'r genetically designed for aggression, a VERY risky proposition, Rottweilers and Dobermans are good but VERY dangerous if not properly socialized (goes for all dogs but especially these breeds). Go to a breeder, ask to see the parents, don't buy them from a pet store (I did and although Pip is a good dog, I can't let him off leash in a park). A good bet would be the smaller types, like a boston terrier or perhaps a golden retreiver. Again, look at all available facts before purchasing a dog, for example, people know that border collies are smart, but most don't know that if not properly exercised (remember this is a dog that is known to work itself to DEATH), they become neurotic and jump and run around in circles, they also nip due to the fact that they are herding dogs.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #15
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My family breeds boxers and I love them. Good with kids and they can be taught not to jump on stuff like furniture inside if you want them for that
Old 04-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:

Here

Don't get a pitbull, contrary to what people say they'r genetically designed for aggression, a VERY risky proposition, Rottweilers and Dobermans are good but VERY dangerous if not properly socialized (goes for all dogs but especially these breeds). Go to a breeder, ask to see the parents, don't buy them from a pet store (I did and although Pip is a good dog, I can't let him off leash in a park). A good bet would be the smaller types, like a boston terrier or perhaps a golden retreiver. Again, look at all available facts before purchasing a dog, for example, people know that border collies are smart, but most don't know that if not properly exercised (remember this is a dog that is known to work itself to DEATH), they become neurotic and jump and run around in circles, they also nip due to the fact that they are herding dogs.
Genetically designed for aggression ? It all depends on the owner wheter a pittbull becomes aggressive or not. I've had 4 of them in the past, and all of them were playfull friendly dogs, with hardly any interrest in other dogs, or even cats, and for dogs that IS a special feat. They're much more fun than most other dogs, because they have an endless energy, and are always up for playing. It's the owners that are dangerous, not the dogs. They aren't born with an aggressive attitude, they were tought to act like that, by people who don't give a crap about the dogs.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #17
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

We have a Golden Retriever, a black Labrador Retriever, and a Lab mix. All inside dogs, all very, very sweet. Fair watchdogs, and not agressive.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #18
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

A stuffed one with a recording of a dog barking that switches on everytime somebody knocks on the front door. That way their is no poop to clean up or holes to fill in the back yard no torn up flower beds no law suits from the neighbors when your dog bites them on their butt.
Then when you come home from work some dumb mutt doesn't jump up on you with muddy feet just because he wants more food.

Give me A cat anytime over a dog, Oh wait I already have 9 cats, I'm cool, I also have one dog that wishes it was A cat, Smart Dog. LOL
So get a couple of cats their cleaner and you don't have to walk them because their smart enough to walk themselves and they don't Pee on your carpets and then look at you as to say WHAT did I DO that?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:23 PM   #19
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Golden Retrievers are the sweetest things to ever walk the earth, but I'm partial to terriers. If you've never had a dog before, you might want to go with a Golden, though.
But we really need to know how big your property is, if you're willing to walk it, how often, and all that good stuff.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #20
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Pitbulls are fighting dogs, they've been bred for aggression, what Johnny described is NOT the norm, although all dogs are dangerous to some degree ( when not properly socialized, poor breeding etc.), pitbulls are more at risk and require the greatest amount of socialization, and owning one is NOT recommended for a first time owner, as a SINGLE slipup requires the animal to be destroyed. Illumina is right, it depends on how big your property is, if it's small then get a terrier, they'r good dogs.