Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 03:35 PM   #81
Neb
Account deleted by Request

People here need to get glasses. I never said: "Religious people do not have morals and only do things out of fear of punishment/hope of reward." I said: "It is my belief that a large amount of religious people don't really have morals and mainly do things out of fear of punishment/hope of reward."

Yorick, sorry, but I believe that you DID post that thread on IW and if not then I'm sorry, but you HAVE posted a reasonable amount of threads that you posted on one forum on others as well.

Also, Ronn, I never pointed you out directly by saying: "Ronn was hostile towards Skywalker." I said: "I felt that some people were being a bit hostile towards Skywalker."

Notice: "Felt" meaning that I wasn't stating that it was so. "Some" not ALL. "Bit" meaning: "Not that awfully much." Please read before you reply, people. Oh, and don't start flaming me for not restating what I already said 100% precisely, but I could not be bothered to go quote my own post.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:41 PM   #82
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I can agree with that Magik.

I've always been taught that the good times are to be shared and are the most special times. It's nice to know God is there for us at all times, but if we only look to Him in the bad times, we aren't really following His will.

Due to our belief in an enternal afterlife, we should be the happiest people on the planet not a bunch of doom and gloomers!
That would assume, of course, that we are not so obsessed with getting to the next world that we haven't learned to live in THIS one yet.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 10-28-2002, 04:02 PM   #83
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
People here need to get glasses. I never said: "Religious people do not have morals and only do things out of fear of punishment/hope of reward." I said: "It is my belief that a large amount of religious people don't really have morals and mainly do things out of fear of punishment/hope of reward."

Yorick, sorry, but I believe that you DID post that thread on IW and if not then I'm sorry, but you HAVE posted a reasonable amount of threads that you posted on one forum on others as well.

Also, Ronn, I never pointed you out directly by saying: "Ronn was hostile towards Skywalker." I said: "I felt that some people were being a bit hostile towards Skywalker."

Notice: "Felt" meaning that I wasn't stating that it was so. "Some" not ALL. "Bit" meaning: "Not that awfully much." Please read before you reply, people. Oh, and don't start flaming me for not restating what I already said 100% precisely, but I could not be bothered to go quote my own post.
Actually, I do have glasses and its past time for my yearly exam. [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe the difference was in my interpretation.

I will agree that too many religious people don't act in a manner befitting their beliefs, and in turn make their fellow believers look bad.

I didn't think you were pointing me out specifically about the first page, but I wanted to point out that my post(which is the only one I can speak to) didn't have an "undercurrent" of hostility directly towards anyone. The truth is, there will always be strong reactions to any statement or idea worth debating. It doesn't mean it's personal. Just because people don't agree doesn't necessarily mean they're slamming one another.

No flaming here, Neb, and No worries! [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

[ 10-28-2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #84
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
That would assume, of course, that we are not so obsessed with getting to the next world that we haven't learned to live in THIS one yet.

-Sazerac
Absolutely!

This life is a gift. To be enjoyed and appreciated.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:30 PM   #85
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
[Firstly, you said religion has nothing to do with morals. Totally wrong, because religious laws of behaviour ARE moral codes. That's all they are.
Yes, they are a moral code, but that doesn't mean that people live by them. Even though they say they do. And that's what I meant. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Funny, I know a whole lot of them who do, including myself. Just to add my own two cents here, I have to say, "ARE YOU KIDDING?" to those who say that being religious isn't related to having morals! LOL Yorick's post is right- my religion is a way of life that INCORPORATES morality into my daily life and thinking. It's a way of living that I'm expected to uphold because of my faith. And I don't make a habit of going around killing, lying, stealing or blaspheming...(nor any other breaking of the commandments) so I'd have to say I do live by my moral code (which includes the 10 commandments).
Old 10-28-2002, 05:32 PM   #86
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

PS to Neb, I don't think Yorick posted that here. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have only seen it on another board.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:58 PM   #87
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
Religion doesn't have anything to do with morality. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Then what are the ten commandments? Directions on how to sleep? They ARE a moral code.[/QUOTE]They are one set of morals. There is one for every religion and one for every person in that religion, and one for every other person. The ten commandments were put there to show us what we should do to live up to jesus' terms. Just that, TERMS.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:18 PM   #88
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
PS to Neb, I don't think Yorick posted that here. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have only seen it on another board.
Okay, an apology to Yorick, then. It's hard to keep track of which threads he posts on what boards when he posts the exact same thread on two different boards [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 06:28 PM   #89
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Not to *mod* here or anything (I dutifully retired from that, thank heavens!), but let's all try to keep issues from other boards infesting what goes on here at IW, please?

Ok, back to business: I think one can agree that morality comes from several different sources. One's family, one's faith, one's society, one's upbringing, one's peers. There's so many factors that one cannot isolate any particular one. It all depends on what you consider to be the most important shapers of your particular ethics and morals.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 10-28-2002, 06:31 PM   #90
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Funny, I know a whole lot of them who do, including myself. Just to add my own two cents here, I have to say, "ARE YOU KIDDING?" to those who say that being religious isn't related to having morals! LOL Yorick's post is right- my religion is a way of life that INCORPORATES morality into my daily life and thinking. It's a way of living that I'm expected to uphold because of my faith. And I don't make a habit of going around killing, lying, stealing or blaspheming...(nor any other breaking of the commandments) so I'd have to say I do live by my moral code (which includes the 10 commandments).[/QB]
Just for clarification, Cloudy, I didn't mean to imply that being religious is not related to having morals. I was actually suggesting the opposite....that being moral isn't necessarily related to being religious.

And there are some who "pretend" to be religious...but don't follow the morals that go along with it. That's basically the argument I'm presenting.