Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Really? All that trouble to delete one little crappy file? It's my computer -- what I say gets deleted should get deleted. How can a program do this?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:25 AM   #12
philip
Galvatron

Yeah, windows seems to think those files are used or needed. Are you getting an error message with something like, 'this fil is in use can't delete' There's one other way that might help. Go into task manager and close everything except explorer and systray and then try to delete it. Most of the time it doesn't work for me though.

I think it's stupid that windows prevents you from deleting files. One time I 'accidentaly' made an exe file from a text file and since I ran it I couldn't delete it cause Windows used it. Stupid idea cause it was an empty file but I still had to go into dos to delete it
Old 04-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #13
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Go here:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

This will get rid of Cool Search 100% guaranteed.

Download the CWS SHREDDER under official downloads. It will get rid of coolsearch for you.

[ 04-27-2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 04-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, now there's a very specific antivenom, huh. Didn't realize what a monster I'd contracted -- the thing's like the Hydra, always popping up with a new head.

Thanks Djinn, I'll report back on my progress. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Was spybot updated? Didn't it ask to run after reboot, so it could kill the file before it reloaded?

The only time I had a problem removing a file was when it was actually installed under my wife's profile. I finally had to run spybot under her profile because it was keeping the recurring file alive.

That's weird about the video .dll, but spybot does keep the files it removes availible under the recover section, and you can add them back one at the time. I think adaware makes a backup, too, but I can't remember exactly where it is.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

YEah, it did offer to delete on reboot -- but I was chickenshi'ite to do that. Anyway, now it's dead, Jim, dead, Jim, dead, Jim.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:46 PM   #17
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Also, either Spybot or Adaware deleted a .dll file that is hooked to my Nvidia card -- now I get a prompt everytime of boot up. How can I get this file back and fix this problem?
Just download the latest WHQL drivers from the nVidia website and install them. Sometimes, installing a new version of DirectX will install new drivers for your video as well.

Make sure you get the Forceware drivers (not the Detonators). I'm using the 56.63 drivers, which are damned fast (but not WHQL certified, though)
Old 04-28-2004, 06:43 PM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Just download the latest WHQL drivers from the nVidia website and install them. Sometimes, installing a new version of DirectX will install new drivers for your video as well.

Make sure you get the Forceware drivers (not the Detonators). I'm using the 56.63 drivers, which are damned fast (but not WHQL certified, though) [/QB]
I ran this through www.freetranslation.com but to no avail. Does anyone here speak geekese? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Erm... I mean I understand what you are trying to tell me to do, I just don't know what a WHQL driver is as opposed to a Detonator driver. My system was bought new in 9/03, so do I really need new drivers? Anyway, I'll check it out -- thanks.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:23 AM   #19
philip
Galvatron

WHQL stands for Windows Hardware Quality Labs, they check if the software's ok and then give it a license.

BTW I think I downloaded a detonator driver yesterday. I seem to remember it was called so for my card (TNT2) though it had a different name now. Anyone know if this gives a lot of trouble? Like I've been busy for a couple of hours tracking down the problem, removing directx and reinstalling windows but it were those new drivers. I downloaded the drivers that did work last time and the problem was gone.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #20
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Detonators are the old series of driver, not under development anymore. ForceWare is the new series of driver. Just use the search tab on the nVidia site to find the latest, greatest drivers for YOUR card without regard to which series it is.

The ForceWare drivers may not work with the TNT2 (never checked). In most cases, the latest drivers will improve performance significantly especially if you run XP.