Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

So I was DM-ing for my brother and his friends today, they are aged 10 - 12 and say D&D is the coolest game ever... [img]smile.gif[/img]
I wasn't well prepared just slightly so I had to spin a lot, which I had never done before but damn it was fun... [img]smile.gif[/img] Good thing about their young age is they don't nitpick on details so plotholes are forgiven... and damn there are lots of them in that campaign... [img]smile.gif[/img] Bad thing is they get very unpatient if it takes some time to advance and there is no fight for some time. So basicly I just try to make it fun for them so hack and slash is pretty common and I use pretty much every fantasy cliche in the book... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway they are 4th level party and today I had them facing a handful of Locatah (Fishpeople much like Kuo Toa), lead by a 3rd level Locatah wizard... which died in the first round.. thanks to a very lucky critical from the Rogue, and their pet... a Stag beetle. damn for a CR 3 it is a powerful beetle... [img]smile.gif[/img] They had not so much trouble with it until it trampled and the cleric failed a reflex save... and now I have a question, after a trample and someone has been trampled, are they moved from under the monster or do they remain under it. I wasn't sure so I moved the cleric from under it, saying it had kicked him away... [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyone know what really happens, I can't find my DMG to check if it says anything about it there.

By the way in the next round it did a 26 points bite damage to the fighter... I've never seen a 12 year old more worried... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-23-2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Old 07-23-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I don't have the rules with me right now, but if I were you I would wing it and judge if the cleric scampered out of the way based on how badly s/he failed the saving throw.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

I think it's just running over the cleric and not landing on top of him. That's what grappling is for specifically I think.

The SRD (http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html) is vague in the description of the trample feat:

Quote:

Trample [General]
Prerequisites: Ride skill, Mounted Combat.
Benefit: When the character attempts to overrun an opponent while mounted, the target may not choose to avoid the character. If the character knocks down the target, the character's mount may make one hoof attack against the target, gaining the standard +4 bonus on attack rolls against prone targets.
And somehow beetles aren't in it.So it looks like it's just knockdown and no grapple
Old 07-23-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Hey, I say continue winging it. They're having fun and obviously you are. Unless it really stretches believability go with what you see is best, but perhaps said cleric might need some recuperation by attending a local temple of his/her diety. Perhaps some heroic quest to show his gratitude for said diety's healing touch.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Sythe
Ra

Man they are so lucky . I would give anything to just play one game of D&D.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:41 AM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Winging it really tests your mettle as a GM...but the heavily planned sessions are fun, too...you get a sense of accomplishment...but no matter what way you play, try to keep them active, or it'll go downhill pretty fast...

Improv DMing, btw, is what I do the most of...

Is that what you really want to say?