Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-07-2002, 05:41 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
True, but there's a difference between a huge frontpage news article with the heading "OMG TERRORIST ATTACK!!!!!!!1" and a small page 11 article with the heading "explosion on ship - cause still unknown"; that was basically my point. Oh well, we'll see what the real cause of the accident was soon enough. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Groj, this was gonna be frontpage news regardless. If there's an explosion on a tanker filled with oil it's a dissaster for nature, no matter the cause of the explosion.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:13 AM   #12
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Groj, this was gonna be frontpage news regardless. If there's an explosion on a tanker filled with oil it's a dissaster for nature, no matter the cause of the explosion.
Of course it's a disaster for nature, but you're missing my point again - don't take anything too literally. Using metaphores, comprendo?
The news is much bigger because the word "terrorism!" is used now; not just because of the oil.

[ 10-07-2002, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 10-07-2002, 06:49 AM   #13
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
True, but there's a difference between a huge frontpage news article with the heading "OMG TERRORIST ATTACK!!!!!!!1" and a small page 11 article with the heading "explosion on ship - cause still unknown"; that was basically my point. Oh well, we'll see what the real cause of the accident was soon enough. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Actually this wasn't a huge front page story, nor was it breaking news coverage that was covered minute by minute on television. It was reported by French officials that a boat full of explosives was driven into this tanker causing an explosion. That's news and it sure sounds like terrorism to me. Now, there are conflicting stories, but the initial statement by French Embassy officials indicated terrorist actions and it was reported accordingly.

You are right about one thing. 2 years ago this would have been a small page 11 article that most American's wouldn't have been interested in, but today Americans realize terrorism isn't just for everyone else, it's for US, too.

Should they not have reported it as a possible terrorist act? Based on what they were told, and what I've seen on the news and read in print it wasn't overdone, it was merely reported.

I think I understand your point though. You think terrorism has become too much of a buzz word, and it's being used when it's inappropriate. I just don't think this story is a good example

[ 10-07-2002, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-07-2002, 07:08 AM   #14
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Actually this wasn't a huge front page story, nor was it breaking news coverage that was covered minute by minute on television. It was reported by French officials that a boat full of explosives was driven into this tanker causing an explosion. That's news and it sure sounds like terrorism to me. Now, there are conflicting stories, but the initial statement by French Embassy officials indicated terrorist actions and it was reported accordingly.
Really? You're probably right... But when I was zapping last night, I ended up on CNN where they were talking about the explosion; guess I took the wrong conclusions of it being frontpage news after watching only a few minutes of it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-07-2002, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 10-07-2002, 07:17 AM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Keep in mind everything is "front page" news to the 24 news channels. Just by trying to cover any breaking news they all tend to over do it.

Those producers are in the control room praying for something bad to happen somewhere, so they can fill a few more minutes of airtime without using their taped footage of the turnip green festival in rural Arkansas.

[ 10-07-2002, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]