Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

Ok, first i`d like to say that when i first died(killed by that bitchy Chimera), the situation was nothing compared to this one.. this time, because of the Random Encounter, we met 4 FROST GIANTS!!!! I sure as hell ran away but the others stayed there. 2 of the others even stayed alive(VERY lucky, i guess). They got the exp, the money, the magical items, in other words, they got f***ing everything. Later, my char(Invoker) tried to go and meet those guys again but Random Encounters killed me(lucky, lucky.. frost giants again). Later, all the people that died made new characters. I got nice stats(15, 15, 15, 16, 14, 15) and made a neat multi class - a Fighter/Priest(he could cast healing spells and wear all sorts of armor at the same time. Neat!). Then I met the party. Everything went ok, we had to destroy a temple of Cyric. We killed all the ordinary, weak guards and priests, then we saw a strange fellow with burning armor. We occupied him, and it seemed like he`s a tough guy, but not too tough. When it was his turn, he started laughing and his armour started burning. He cast a f****ng fireball. Me and 1 other party member died but all the others survived(note - i had all of my HPs left before getting hit by that fireball).
At the end of the game, they divided the exp. they all got 1000 points for destroying the temple and another 1000 for killing that fiery bastard(1000 exp EACH person)..
Right now, im feeling a sick sort of desperation and sadness.. i got killed twice in such stupid situations .
What do you think, is my DM being a bit too harsh?
Old 07-22-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

@_@

well uh he must think you enjoy dying or something...

don't let it get you down. The game and you're life WILL go on, don't let it totally depress you and consume your emmotions. Just remember that it's just a game.

Whoever your DM is, though, he seems like a bully [img]tongue.gif[/img] When I DM i plan for my warriors to have an epic story of biblical proportions with ravashing magic and fantasy elements, but i don't plan to kill them again and again while they're weak. It's better to start slow, but pushing some youngsters into battle does end up testing their wits and makes heroes out of them! [img]tongue.gif[/img] That must be what your DM wants to do with you... when you DO survive such an amazing conflict he'll make something better out of you and it might get easier from there. HOWEVER, remember that complaining and challanging the DM will only lead to further treatment...

ps:

just remember to keep using BOWS !! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2002, 07:02 PM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
@_@

well uh he must think you enjoy dying or something...

don't let it get you down. The game and you're life WILL go on, don't let it totally depress you and consume your emmotions. Just remember that it's just a game.

Whoever your DM is, though, he seems like a bully [img]tongue.gif[/img] When I DM i plan for my warriors to have an epic story of biblical proportions with ravashing magic and fantasy elements, but i don't plan to kill them again and again while they're weak. It's better to start slow, but pushing some youngsters into battle does end up testing their wits and makes heroes out of them! [img]tongue.gif[/img] That must be what your DM wants to do with you... when you DO survive such an amazing conflict he'll make something better out of you and it might get easier from there. HOWEVER, remember that complaining and challanging the DM will only lead to further treatment...

ps:

just remember to keep using BOWS !! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] .
gargghhh.. Character creation lasts about 1,5 hours.. what character should i do next time??
I thought of doing a monk or something.. what do you think?
Our DM is really a nice guy.. but in the game he is a tad bit too harsh, i belive
Old 07-22-2002, 07:21 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

That DM...must have a sense of humor. Killed you off how many times now? Twice? But he should make it a bit easier...
Old 07-22-2002, 07:23 PM   #5
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I say when the party is resting grab the valuble stuff from all of the party members (including you) EXCEPT the one that you hate the most.Put that stuff in his pack and pockets and when they wake he will have all there stuff and they will blame him and I really don't know how this will help though.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 07-22-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
Mojo
Elminster

You should wheel your DM over to a computer and show him that we all reckon he should be a bit less eager on the killing-the-party idea...or maybe he'd just get worse because u questioned his authority...it's ur call
Old 07-22-2002, 10:33 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Geez, that's harsh, uss.

Is your party REALLY 1st level?? If so, there is NO WAY you should randomly encounter 4 Frost Giants. And it sounds like your DM is a bit excessive on the NUMBER of random encounters.

I don't know all the facts, but it definitely sounds like you have the toughest monster in the entire AD&D universe - THE KILLER DM!.

It's a no-win situation because there is NO WAY to beat the DM if he doesn't want you to. With the situations your running into, I would say you definitely need to play some kind of fighter or maybe a fighter/mage multi-class. You need hit points and armor, from the sound of it.

The fighter/cleric was a good idea since you could heal yourself.

I hope things improve for you so that you don't end up hating the game.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:26 AM   #8
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Geez, that's harsh, uss.

Is your party REALLY 1st level?? If so, there is NO WAY you should randomly encounter 4 Frost Giants. And it sounds like your DM is a bit excessive on the NUMBER of random encounters.

I don't know all the facts, but it definitely sounds like you have the toughest monster in the entire AD&D universe - THE KILLER DM!.

It's a no-win situation because there is NO WAY to beat the DM if he doesn't want you to. With the situations your running into, I would say you definitely need to play some kind of fighter or maybe a fighter/mage multi-class. You need hit points and armor, from the sound of it.

The fighter/cleric was a good idea since you could heal yourself.

I hope things improve for you so that you don't end up hating the game.
Thanks. I think ill do a Fighter/Cleric again.
The thing that saddens me most is that i´m gonna have to do a level 1 character again, while there is two level 6 characters and a level 5 character in the party.. and the game just keeps getting more and more difficult.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:24 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, that explains a little bit of the situation anyway.

A 1st level is going to have a DEVIL of a time surviving in a level 5-6 dungeon. And, if you multi-class, you will NEVER catch up to the rest of the group.

Man, your DM should cut you some slack and let you create a character that's at least 4th level or so. Even if you don't get any magic...at least you would have a chance to survive to find some.

If your character is more than 2 levels lower than the rest of the party, you will have a HARD time surviving. This is true until you break 20th level or so...after that it kinda evens out.

For example, Cerek was a 1st Edition Barbarian from the Unearthed Arcana. I maxed his CON, so he had a tremendous number of hit points. He always traveled with a Ranger that I created at the same time. The ranger had 18 STR & CON and straight 17's in everything else (absolutely BEST stats I ever rolled).

So, BOTH of these guys were very tough. When they were around 13th level, I brought them into a game being run by one of our group that was a 20+ level dungeon. I figured their hit points and combat skills could "cover the gap".

WROOOOOOOOOONG!!!!

Our first encounter were some modified skeleton warriors that were super tough. My two characters double-teamed ONE skeleton and did a little bit of damage....then the skeleton attacked. After ONE attack, the barbarian and ranger had just enough hit points left to run for the door at max speed and find a cleric.

We were pretty useless for the rest of that encounter. Now, the rest of the dungeon wasn't AS bad, because these were monsters my buddy had "beefed up". Against the ordinary Monster Manual varieties, we did OK. Still, there was an OBVIOUS power difference in the characters.

I don't want to create any trouble, but it sounds like your DM either has it in for any character YOU create....or he is good friends with the players whose characters have "miraculously" survived so far.

Whatever the case, he doesn't sound as if he is treating ALL the players fairly, IMHO.

It may just be time to look for a new group if possible.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:28 AM   #10
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

your dm is throwing things at you that are just too strong for a first level party.did you piss him off about something?